BONUS:SKILLPOINTS and PRELEVELMAX in docs

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
      OK, came across this in the docs. Can someone explain what the deal with
      PRELEVELMAX is? It seems like it says quite clearly not to use the two
      together, but at the same time it shows how to use them together!
      Tag Name: BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|x

      Variables Used (x): Number, variable or formula (Number to add to skill level)

      What it Does:

      * Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the character gains a
      level.
      * Not retroactive.
      * PRExxx tags may be used with this tag.
      * -- Do NOT mix PRELEVELMAX and BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER, since it results
      in double negative and some very bad exceptions in the code.

      Examples:

      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|1

      Adds one skill point per level.

      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|4|PRELEVELMAX:1

      Adds 4 additional skillpoints to the character at first level only, above and
      beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.

      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|6|PRELEVELMAX:3

      Adds 6 additional skillpoints to the character at first to third levels only,
      above and beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.
      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
        Well, let's test it out.

        Are you able to do the "bad" test and see if this is still the case, and
        if so, then we need to correct the docs. Though, instead of prelevelmax
        you can sub out PREPCLEVEL:MAX=. I don't know if that would have the
        same issue.

        Michael W. Fender wrote:
        > OK, came across this in the docs. Can someone explain what the deal with
        > PRELEVELMAX is? It seems like it says quite clearly not to use the two
        > together, but at the same time it shows how to use them together!
        > Tag Name: BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|x
        >
        > Variables Used (x): Number, variable or formula (Number to add to skill level)
        >
        > What it Does:
        >
        > * Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the character gains a
        > level.
        > * Not retroactive.
        > * PRExxx tags may be used with this tag.
        > * -- Do NOT mix PRELEVELMAX and BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER, since it results
        > in double negative and some very bad exceptions in the code.
        >
        > Examples:
        >
        > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|1
        >
        > Adds one skill point per level.
        >
        > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|4|PRELEVELMAX:1
        >
        > Adds 4 additional skillpoints to the character at first level only, above and
        > beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.
        >
        > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|6|PRELEVELMAX:3
        >
        > Adds 6 additional skillpoints to the character at first to third levels only,
        > above and beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
          On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
          > Well, let's test it out.
          >
          > Are you able to do the "bad" test and see if this is still the case, and
          > if so, then we need to correct the docs. Though, instead of prelevelmax
          > you can sub out PREPCLEVEL:MAX=. I don't know if that would have the
          > same issue.

          PRELEVELMAX shouldn't be an issue, unless the coders took that
          exception away. What WAS an issue was a PRExxx that one qualified but
          would go away at later levels... So a feat with
          BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|1|PREVARLTEQ:MyVar,4

          As soon as the character has MyVar>= 5, the character will LOSE all
          the previous skillpoints, and it will make the whole skill tree go
          wonky.

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

            > PRELEVELMAX shouldn't be an issue, unless the coders took that
            > exception away. What WAS an issue was a PRExxx that one qualified but
            > would go away at later levels... So a feat with
            > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|1|PREVARLTEQ:MyVar,4
            >
            > As soon as the character has MyVar>= 5, the character will LOSE all
            > the previous skillpoints, and it will make the whole skill tree go
            > wonky.

            TM, please open a bug for this so we have this captured - this should
            be fixed by PRE/REQ, but nice to have it captured so we know it's an
            issue.

            TP.
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009
              Trackered:
              [ 2630859 ] BONUS:SKILLPOINTS and PRELEVELMAX
              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2630859&group_id=25576&atid=384719

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Board of Directors