Re: [pcgen] Re: PCGen - We Need your help!

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4 4:56 PM

      2009/2/5 iwarrior_poetklingon2000 <iwarriorpoet@...>:

      > Oh man! Do you mean to tell me that 5.16 has Pathfinder datasets?!? I
      > don't suppose 5.16 is still compatible with the last CMP build of WoTC
      > datasets??? (5.12 I believe). I really, really want to go with
      > Pathfinder over 4e---but I don't want to toss my $200+ investment in
      > 3.5 CMP datasets either...

      Pathfinder won't work with 5.14, but we have a new data converter
      which is intended to allow you to use your purchased data with future
      versions of PCGen including 5.16.

      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code SB
    • iwarrior_poetklingon2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4 5:06 PM

        > 2009/2/5 iwarrior_poetklingon2000 <iwarriorpoet@...>:
        > >
        > > Oh man! Do you mean to tell me that 5.16 has Pathfinder datasets?!? I
        > > don't suppose 5.16 is still compatible with the last CMP build of WoTC
        > > datasets??? (5.12 I believe). I really, really want to go with
        > > Pathfinder over 4e---but I don't want to toss my $200+ investment in
        > > 3.5 CMP datasets either...
        >
        > Pathfinder won't work with 5.14, but we have a new data converter
        > which is intended to allow you to use your purchased data with future
        > versions of PCGen including 5.16.
        >
        > --
        > Cheers,
        > James Dempsey
        > PCGen Code SB

        Where is this magical data converter?
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4 5:10 PM

          2009/2/5 iwarrior_poetklingon2000 <iwarriorpoet@...>:

          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> 2009/2/5 iwarrior_poetklingon2000 <iwarriorpoet@...>:
          >> >
          >> > Oh man! Do you mean to tell me that 5.16 has Pathfinder datasets?!? I
          >> > don't suppose 5.16 is still compatible with the last CMP build of WoTC
          >> > datasets??? (5.12 I believe). I really, really want to go with
          >> > Pathfinder over 4e---but I don't want to toss my $200+ investment in
          >> > 3.5 CMP datasets either...
          >>
          >> Pathfinder won't work with 5.14, but we have a new data converter
          >> which is intended to allow you to use your purchased data with future
          >> versions of PCGen including 5.16.
          >>

          > Where is this magical data converter?

          It is shipped with the beta (5.15.10). See the release notes for
          details, but feel free to ask if they don't help.

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB
        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4 6:04 PM
            And depending on what you are trying to accomplish, it may not work at all.

            For instance, in the Complete Warrior book, to qualify for the
            Bloodhound PRC you have to have 4 ranks of move silently. Well
            Pathfinder doesn't have Move Silently, so this prc and many, many others
            will never work with PC Gen Pathfinder.

            And this does not even count the possible difference in variables
            between sets.

            There will be manual editing. How much depends on what you are trying to
            do, if using the CMP WotC datasets with Pathfinder RPG.

            David
            Papa.DRB

            Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
            My better half and me
            <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

            James Dempsey wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > 2009/2/5 iwarrior_poetklingon2000 <iwarriorpoet@...>:
            >
            >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hi,

            >>> Pathfinder won't work with 5.14, but we have a new data converter
            >>> which is intended to allow you to use your purchased data with future
            >>> versions of PCGen including 5.16.
            >>>

            >> Where is this magical data converter?
            >>

            > It is shipped with the beta (5.15.10). See the release notes for
            > details, but feel free to ask if they don't help.

          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4 8:48 PM
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "iwarrior_poetklingon2000"
              <iwarriorpoet@...> wrote:

              > Where is this magical data converter?

              As James mentioned, a converter from 5.14 to 5.16 is shipped with
              PCGen 5.15.10. It will not convert data from 5.12 and earlier.
              (While I probably sound like a broken record at this point, the
              purpose behind the massive token changes we drove in the 5.12 to 5.14
              transition was to resolve certain cases of challenging syntax and
              ambiguity so we can support automatic updates for future versions)

              The converter released with 5.15.10 had a few issues that have been
              fixed in the last day or two. Thus, while we would love to have
              people trying out the tool, the version released in the 5.15.10 beta
              isn't quite ready to produce a perfect conversion (So try it out with
              the understanding you will need to run it again in 5.15.11). This is
              especially true if you have a Mac or Linux machine, as the version
              released with 5.15.10 would (rather unfortunately) crash on those
              platforms.

              If you didn't manage to download the 5.14 data from CMP in the time
              frame that it was available (and still have the 5.12 data), you should
              check out the 5.12 to 5.14 converter (a perl script) that is on the
              PCGenListFileHelp group:

              File is called "5.12 to 5.14 Conversion_v085.zip"

              It isn't completely automatic (as it may highlight issues that you
              will have to address by hand), but for items that are "well formed"
              syntax, it can do the work for you.

              TP.