Re: [pcgen] [bump] Re: lycanthrope

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
      Accessing archive from Andrew Maitland...
      Archive found in file 26261.18122.6603

      > Interesting results... VFEAT is acting up. I see both an automatic and
      > virtual version. However, when I change the VFEAT to
      > ABILITY:FEAT|VIRTUAL| it works as expected. Very odd.

      I think it may be just VFEAT in templates. Monks get feats as VIRTUAL feats,
      but I haven't seen this problem recently. Double checked, and he only gets
      the +4 bonus from a VIRTUAL Improved Grapple feat. Though I ran into another
      bug...

      What I had done was make a first level Fighter, then add the Lycanthrope
      template of Weretiger. This gives him 6 levels of Animal. I already had it
      open and added the monk level when it popped up and asked me what stat should
      be increased. That's when I realized that it never did that when I applied
      the Weretiger. Another glitch in the system? Because I double checked the
      Lycanthrope entry in the RSRD and found this:

      "In addition, a lycanthrope may also gain an additional ability score increase
      by virtue of its extra Hit Dice."

      ...and 6 extra HD guarantees at least 1 ability increase.
      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
        Things added with ADD:PCLEVEL or the like ignore the leveling system of
        Stat Increases.

        I noticed the Choice(s) from templates don't show up in the template
        section, but again, they do have VISIBLE:NO

        As to the stat gain, that can be done easy enough using an ability pool.

        Eddy - Do you approve of adding an ABILITYPOOL for the Lycanthrope Stat
        Increase?

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Michael W. Fender wrote:
        > Accessing archive from Andrew Maitland...
        > Archive found in file 26261.18122.6603
        >

        >> Interesting results... VFEAT is acting up. I see both an automatic and
        >> virtual version. However, when I change the VFEAT to
        >> ABILITY:FEAT|VIRTUAL| it works as expected. Very odd.
        >>

        > I think it may be just VFEAT in templates. Monks get feats as VIRTUAL feats,
        > but I haven't seen this problem recently. Double checked, and he only gets
        > the +4 bonus from a VIRTUAL Improved Grapple feat. Though I ran into another
        > bug...
        >
        > What I had done was make a first level Fighter, then add the Lycanthrope
        > template of Weretiger. This gives him 6 levels of Animal. I already had it
        > open and added the monk level when it popped up and asked me what stat should
        > be increased. That's when I realized that it never did that when I applied
        > the Weretiger. Another glitch in the system? Because I double checked the
        > Lycanthrope entry in the RSRD and found this:
        >
        > "In addition, a lycanthrope may also gain an additional ability score increase
        > by virtue of its extra Hit Dice."
        >
        > ...and 6 extra HD guarantees at least 1 ability increase.

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
          Michael W. Fender scribed:

          > What I had done was make a first level Fighter, then add the Lycanthrope
          > template of Weretiger. This gives him 6 levels of Animal. I already had it
          > open and added the monk level when it popped up and asked me what stat should
          > be increased. That's when I realized that it never did that when I applied
          > the Weretiger. Another glitch in the system? Because I double checked the
          > Lycanthrope entry in the RSRD and found this:
          >
          > "In addition, a lycanthrope may also gain an additional ability score increase
          > by virtue of its extra Hit Dice."
          >
          > ...and 6 extra HD guarantees at least 1 ability increase.

          I suspect that this is this way because the tags which grant those levels
          come from a template as the main characteristic of a template is that when
          you remove it everything it grants should come with it.

          In my mind the best solution would be a code FREQ, currently if you remove
          levels which granted you ability bumps those come off as well, if the
          ADDLEVEL tag allowed standard stat bump that went away when the templates
          were removed that would be ideal.

          Barring that I agree that an ability pool with some abilities to grant stat
          bumps is the best data solution.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Board of Directors
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
            Andrew Maitland scribed:

            > Things added with ADD:PCLEVEL or the like ignore the leveling system of
            > Stat Increases.

            See my other reply but I wonder why the ADDLEVEL tag does that. I don't see
            any game mechanical reason why to have it that way.