Re: [pcgen] Re: Defining Other Game Systems

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
      I'm not familiar with Open Core, so I'll abstain from commenting whether
      or not it can be done.

      5.14.1 is a stable release, and certain things *can* be done with it.
      Cutting edge is where I try things out (which by tomorrow should be
      5.15.8 our last Alpha). It has the latest features and improvements (and
      also bugs waiting to be discovered... always something we need people to
      play with so we discover them all and get them fixed. Our coders are
      real good about fixing bugs :-) )

      Things that you can do - Text Substitution for die values; anything
      CLASS Based is possible (Mind you class based is something with levels
      or level progression).

      Classless can be done, but would be very difficult at this point and
      time. But you can do classless with ability objects up to a certain point.

      With the Ability Object we can do a whole lot more than was possible
      with Feats in terms of flexibility.

      Anything expressed in a die value should be possible... The Stats can be
      re-arranged, renamed, and the bonuses can be removed or modified.

      Saves are limited to three at this point - but you can name them
      anything and change the values there as well.

      What it boils down to is these factors:

      Patience, ingenuity, and familiarity with the lst code to understand
      what can and can't be done. I say much patience as the program was
      written with the d20 system as the central focus, so it was hard code
      for certain d20 system standards... (Which have been getting removed as
      we approach the 6.0 version)

      --

      On another note - To distribute sets based on other systems it IS
      PCGen's policy to obtain permission and proper licensing, HOWEVER, for

      Eric Smith, our PR lead, will approach any Publisher and try and obtain
      permission, especially if we can produce a working set for it.

      Just to clarify, you don't need any ones permission to make a set for
      personal use. We DO need permission to distribute a set for public use.

      I think that covers the bases. Good luck and if you have any Lst Coding
      questions, please join us on the PCGenLstFileHelp group.

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      arakish9 wrote:
      > Not open core. I just did download PCGEN this morning (about 0830hrs
      > 03 Dec) and thought if I was to gain enough of a knowledge of how
      > systems were defined for the LST and PCC files, I might try my hand at
      > porting the Rolemaster/Spacemaster system into PCGEN.
      >
      > However, I know I would have to get their permission.
      >
      > I was wondering if it could be done with the current (5.14) version.
      >
      > rmfr

    • arakish9
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
        Thank you for your valuable time. Your last post certainly cleared
        everything for me.

        Thanks,

        rmfr

        PS - You probably already figured that rmfr are my initials. I always
        use them on my posts.