Defining Other Game Systems

  • arakish9
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
      I was wondering if someone were ambitious enough, could other types of
      gaming systems be defined into PCGEN LST and PCC files? Meaning other
      systems such as ones that use 3d6 (Hero Games), d100
      (Rolemaster/Spacemaster), etc. instead of d20.

      I do understand permission must be gained from the original authors.

      rmfr
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
        Greetings RMFR,

        That is one of our goals - to support other systems. However, to be very blunt, it won't be possible for certain systems until we get our core engine redone (CDOM project) which is slated in about a year.

        This is not to say that some systems cannot already be done today. We have some people working on a Shadowrun set, another is doing a Savage Worlds, and a few people I'm sure have done a personal one that I haven't heard of yet.

        Just to let you know how I came to the year projection -

        5.16 is slated for January (It was December but a we've had a few delays)
        the 5.18 cycle will feature an overhaul of tokens in preparation of the CDOM migration
        the 6.0 cycle is fully dedicated to the CDOM engine migration (and all the testing to make sure everything works)
        6.2 and beyond hasn't been fully planned out, but I'm sure non-d20 system compatibility is on the list.

        Each cycle is about six months, in those six months about four to five are alpha where we introduce new features and test them, we have a beta cycle to fix any bugs introduced during the feature introduction, a few release candidates and then a final product release, then we do it all over again.

        So, if you have a system you think could be compatible today, feel free to ask, I'm sure someone can say whether they believe it possible or if it is completely beyond PCGens capability today.

        -Andrew Maitland,
        PCGen BoD - Admin Silverback

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
          On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

          > So, if you have a system you think could be compatible today, feel free to
          > ask, I'm sure someone can say whether they believe it possible or if it is
          > completely beyond PCGens capability today.

          Open Core perhaps??

          --
          Jonathan M. Thompson
          Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com)
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
            Not open core. I just did download PCGEN this morning (about 0830hrs
            03 Dec) and thought if I was to gain enough of a knowledge of how
            systems were defined for the LST and PCC files, I might try my hand at
            porting the Rolemaster/Spacemaster system into PCGEN.

            However, I know I would have to get their permission.

            I was wondering if it could be done with the current (5.14) version.

            rmfr
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
              I'm not familiar with Open Core, so I'll abstain from commenting whether
              or not it can be done.

              5.14.1 is a stable release, and certain things *can* be done with it.
              Cutting edge is where I try things out (which by tomorrow should be
              5.15.8 our last Alpha). It has the latest features and improvements (and
              also bugs waiting to be discovered... always something we need people to
              play with so we discover them all and get them fixed. Our coders are
              real good about fixing bugs :-) )

              Things that you can do - Text Substitution for die values; anything
              CLASS Based is possible (Mind you class based is something with levels
              or level progression).

              Classless can be done, but would be very difficult at this point and
              time. But you can do classless with ability objects up to a certain point.

              With the Ability Object we can do a whole lot more than was possible
              with Feats in terms of flexibility.

              Anything expressed in a die value should be possible... The Stats can be
              re-arranged, renamed, and the bonuses can be removed or modified.

              Saves are limited to three at this point - but you can name them
              anything and change the values there as well.

              What it boils down to is these factors:

              Patience, ingenuity, and familiarity with the lst code to understand
              what can and can't be done. I say much patience as the program was
              written with the d20 system as the central focus, so it was hard code
              for certain d20 system standards... (Which have been getting removed as
              we approach the 6.0 version)

              --

              On another note - To distribute sets based on other systems it IS
              PCGen's policy to obtain permission and proper licensing, HOWEVER, for

              Eric Smith, our PR lead, will approach any Publisher and try and obtain
              permission, especially if we can produce a working set for it.

              Just to clarify, you don't need any ones permission to make a set for
              personal use. We DO need permission to distribute a set for public use.

              I think that covers the bases. Good luck and if you have any Lst Coding
              questions, please join us on the PCGenLstFileHelp group.

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              arakish9 wrote:
              > Not open core. I just did download PCGEN this morning (about 0830hrs
              > 03 Dec) and thought if I was to gain enough of a knowledge of how
              > systems were defined for the LST and PCC files, I might try my hand at
              > porting the Rolemaster/Spacemaster system into PCGEN.
              >
              > However, I know I would have to get their permission.
              >
              > I was wondering if it could be done with the current (5.14) version.
              >
              > rmfr

            • arakish9
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
                Thank you for your valuable time. Your last post certainly cleared
                everything for me.

                Thanks,

                rmfr

                PS - You probably already figured that rmfr are my initials. I always
                use them on my posts.