Re: [pcgen] Unfortunately bowing out of using PCGen

  • Daniele Domenichelli
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
      Keith McComb wrote:

      > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
      > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.
      >
      > Don't get me wrong - I love this program. It works beautifully on my
      > PC desktop - at work.
      >
      > But when I'm gaming, I have my laptop with me. And I really can't see
      > using it if it won't run when I need it to.
      >
      > This bug has been reported here, I know, and even verified by a second
      > person. For some reason, under Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, starting PCGen
      > will NOT bring up the sources. It loads them, but they are not
      > visible. When you try to work with a character, this same source bug
      > causes other small problems - it's like it doesn't see them.
      >
      > I'm not leaving the group, that's for sure. But I can't run this until
      > it works under Ubuntu Linux.

      Hi,
      I'm running pcgen on my kubuntu 8.04 since a couple of weeks, and i had
      the same problem, because by default ubuntu is using openjdk java
      instead of sun java.

      Try opening a shell and running:

      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

      (This will install sun java if you didn't already install it)

      then run:

      sudo update-alternatives --config java
      and choose /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java from the list

      Regards,
      Daniele
    • Kinsfire
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
        Now that I can finally get back online (long story that has nothing to do with this and everything to do with crappy documentation for a different program), I will add that I have tried this with 5.14.1 and ALL of the 5.15.x releases. Complete removal of all files each time, to ensure that I was not accidentally carrying forward a problem from a previous, possibly failed setup.

        I reiterate - I love this program, and keep my characters updated on my work machine during lunch and breaks (or in the rare free moment).

        I just have to work on a less understandable method for keeping updates to my characters on my laptop, and will pounce the moment that it works on Ubuntu again.

        Now to read the responses to this email.

        Keith

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
          Sun Java 6_10, to be precise, on my Ubuntu machine.

          Keith

          On Saturday 08 November 2008 08:27:20 pm Keith McComb wrote:
          > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
          > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.
          >
          > Don't get me wrong - I love this program. It works beautifully on my
          > PC desktop - at work.
          >
          > But when I'm gaming, I have my laptop with me. And I really can't see
          > using it if it won't run when I need it to.
          >
          > This bug has been reported here, I know, and even verified by a second
          > person. For some reason, under Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, starting PCGen
          > will NOT bring up the sources. It loads them, but they are not
          > visible. When you try to work with a character, this same source bug
          > causes other small problems - it's like it doesn't see them.
          >
          > I'm not leaving the group, that's for sure. But I can't run this until
          > it works under Ubuntu Linux.

          Funny, it runs under Debian Lenny just fine... I use Sun's JRE 6 though.

          --
          Fluxxdog

          think.

        • Kinsfire
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
            That's the weird thing. I didn't have Java ON the machine until I put Sun's Java on it. (We're talking a fresh install - due to really bad documentation of a program, I found it easier to format my drive and reinstall everything, rather than try to undo what the program did).

            So we're talking a brand new install of Intrepid, with no Java until I expressly installed sun-java6 through Synaptic. I'll double-check that openjava didn't sneak in there, but I don't remember seeing that listed at all.

            Keith

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kinsfire" <kinsfire@...> wrote:

              > So we're talking a brand new install of Intrepid, with no Java until
              I expressly installed sun-java6 through Synaptic. I'll double-check
              that openjava didn't sneak in there, but I don't remember seeing that
              listed at all.

              Please run:

              dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

              ...and send me the resulting file. Please don't paste here, it will
              be long... a private email is best. Once I get a virtual machine
              running 8.10, I should be able to test it and then reconcile your
              setup vs. mine and establish what is different.

              TP.
            • Kinsfire
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                The only thing on my machine is sun-java6

                Keith

                > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
                > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.
                >
                > Don't get me wrong - I love this program. It works beautifully on my
                > PC desktop - at work.
                >
                > But when I'm gaming, I have my laptop with me. And I really can't see
                > using it if it won't run when I need it to.
                >
                > This bug has been reported here, I know, and even verified by a second
                > person. For some reason, under Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, starting PCGen
                > will NOT bring up the sources. It loads them, but they are not
                > visible. When you try to work with a character, this same source bug
                > causes other small problems - it's like it doesn't see them.
                >
                > I'm not leaving the group, that's for sure. But I can't run this until
                > it works under Ubuntu Linux.

                Hi,
                I'm running pcgen on my kubuntu 8.04 since a couple of weeks, and i had
                the same problem, because by default ubuntu is using openjdk java
                instead of sun java.

                Try opening a shell and running:

                sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

                (This will install sun java if you didn't already install it)

                then run:

                sudo update-alternatives --config java
                and choose /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java from the list

                Regards,
                Daniele

              • Jim Milne
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                  Ok, next question. Are you trying to start PCGen by using the shell script (pcgen.sh) or just by opening pcgen.jar? I have a fersh install thanks to my old laptop crashing on me this weekend and if I just try and open the pcgen.jar file instead of using pcgen.sh to start the program I get no sources.