Re: [pcgen] D&D supliment

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
      Hi Chronos,

      CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) was unable to renew their license agreement
      with WotC, which means they are unable to make those data sets available
      to the public for sale, however, if your friend still has those sets
      through CMP, then he may update them to use PCGen 5.14.1.

      But all is not lost for those who did not get the books from CMP in
      time; many people don't require the whole books for their personal use
      or home games, instead just needing a class here and a feat there... In
      those cases, making those classes for yourself is fairly simple. We have
      several monkeys willing to share their tips and help you along over on
      the List File Help Group (See links bottom of this post).

      And if you're really keen on having the entire book, then it's not a
      hard process to create an entire book, just patience, perseverance,
      determination and plenty of free time. :-)

      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      ~ Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      Chronos wrote:
      > I had a friend who used a character generator, which i believe to be
      > this, for D&D and had about every D&D book in it from codemonkey. They
      > no longer seem to have it on codemonkey and I am wondering where to
      > get the books for it now.

    • John Conner
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008

        I saw your message below and was wondering if you could explain what you meant about updating eTools sets to be used with PCGen 5.14.1?

        > CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) was unable to renew their license agreement
        > with WotC, which means they are unable to make those data sets available
        > to the public for sale, however, if your friend still has those sets
        > through CMP, then he may update them to use PCGen 5.14.1.

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
          Hi John!

          John wrote:
          > I saw your message below and was wondering if you could explain
          > what you meant about updating eTools sets to be used with PCGen
          > 5.14.1?
          >
          > > CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) was unable to renew their license
          > agreement
          > > with WotC, which means they are unable to make those data sets
          > available
          > > to the public for sale, however, if your friend still has those sets
          > > through CMP, then he may update them to use PCGen 5.14.1.

          I believe Andrew and the OP are referring to CMP's PCGen data sets,
          not their eTools data sets. CMP's eTools data sets, and any other
          eTools data sets, are not compatible with PCGen.

          Maredudd
        • Andrew Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
            They won't be updating the eTools data set. CMP sold two different
            types of data
            file for D&D, they sold eTools sets and PCGen sets. The license they
            have allows
            them to update the PCGen sets for (AFAIK) 2 years. It's these PCGen data sets
            that they may be updating to use with 5.14.1

            andrew

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
              Hi John,

              I think you misread my statement. It's possible to get PCGen sets that are updated to work with PCGen version 5.14.1, as long as you had purchased the sets. (CMP has a three year  free upgrade for their users) After the three years expires even those sets won't be available.

              As far as eTools, I don't know about the eTools, they might have the same deal.

              For the adventurous among us, for those that have any sets made for version 5.12 can use the free perl script conversion tool that was made available by Barak. Which will make those sets compatible with 5.14.1.

              Beyond that, if you want the sets, you'll have to make them yourself. Not hard, and myself, and several other monkeys are always willing to lend a hand over on the pcgen list file help group.
              -Andrew (not at work, but not at home either)

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                Hi Folks!!

                On Nov 10, 2008, at 8:20 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Hi John,
                >
                > I think you misread my statement. It's possible to get PCGen sets
                > that are updated to work with PCGen version 5.14.1, as long as you
                > had purchased the sets. (CMP has a three year free upgrade for
                > their users) After the three years expires even those sets won't be
                > available.

                CMP's maintenance agreement was for two years, not three, and as it
                was just under two years ago that their license was not renewed, the
                time from to get updated data sets is almost gone. But again, you
                must have purchased the data sets prior to the lapsing of the license.

                Eric
              • John Conner
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                  Thanks for the info guys.  As you assumed I did missunderstand the original post regarding the e-tools data files.  In regards to CMP D&D datasets as far as I can tell they stopped selling PCGen version of the e-tools datasets as of april of this year.

                  I have recreated some of the information from the Forgotten Realms info for pcgen v5.14.1, though most of my stuff is Dieties, Domains, & spells.  Would it be rude to ask if anyone out there might know of any other sources of the CMP PCGen WoTC datasets?

                • Michael W. Fender
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                    On Monday 10 November 2008 10:36:31 pm John Conner wrote:
                    > Thanks for the info guys.  As you assumed I did missunderstand the original
                    > post regarding the e-tools data files.  In regards to CMP D&D datasets as
                    > far as I can tell they stopped selling PCGen version of the e-tools
                    > datasets as of april of this year.
                    >
                    > I have recreated some of the information from the Forgotten Realms info for
                    > pcgen v5.14.1, though most of my stuff is Dieties, Domains, & spells.
                    > Would it be rude to ask if anyone out there might know of any other sources
                    > of the CMP PCGen WoTC datasets?

                    Nothing official, just home brew stuff we make for ourselves.

                    --
                    Fluxxdog

                    think.
                  • Chronos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                      Ah that is just a shame... I do indeed want all the books (as i
                      personally own most 3.5 books excluding campaign settings)
                      Unfortunately the free time I usually have is... well for playing D&D...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                        Yeah, it's nice to have a complete set...

                        As always, you can make anything you want for personal use. IF you
                        desperately need a class, feat or power just post what it is you need on
                        the 'pcgenlistfilehelp' yahoo group, and one of us can usually spare
                        some time to lend a hand.

                        I personally code up the things I need before my game, that includes
                        personalized magic items, powers and other GM things. As the GM, I
                        maintain all the PCs, NPCs and monsters on my computer, so updating the
                        characters (though the responsibility of the player) is always at my
                        finger tips, so adding new things is easy. I'd bet that a fair amount of
                        fellow pcgeners do the same thing.

                        Coding is fun once you learn, then making your homebrew campaign is a
                        cinch... say like a D&D fantasy world with Zerg invaders within a
                        Dragonstar Empire (who are about to also invade if not dealt with)...
                        and don't forget a little Monte Cook World of Darkness just to keep
                        things interesting. (Still haven't decided on the Kingdom Hearts action
                        or not yet...) :-)

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                        Chronos wrote:
                        > Ah that is just a shame... I do indeed want all the books (as i
                        > personally own most 3.5 books excluding campaign settings)
                        > Unfortunately the free time I usually have is... well for playing D&D...

                        >> Hi Chronos,
                        >>
                        >> CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) was unable to renew their license
                        >>
                        > agreement
                        >
                        >> with WotC, which means they are unable to make those data sets
                        >>
                        > available
                        >
                        >> to the public for sale, however, if your friend still has those sets
                        >> through CMP, then he may update them to use PCGen 5.14.1.
                        >>
                        >> But all is not lost for those who did not get the books from CMP in
                        >> time; many people don't require the whole books for their personal use
                        >> or home games, instead just needing a class here and a feat there... In
                        >> those cases, making those classes for yourself is fairly simple. We
                        >>
                        > have
                        >
                        >> several monkeys willing to share their tips and help you along over on
                        >> the List File Help Group (See links bottom of this post).
                        >>
                        >> And if you're really keen on having the entire book, then it's not a
                        >> hard process to create an entire book, just patience, perseverance,
                        >> determination and plenty of free time. :-)
                        >>

                        >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
                        >> ~ Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                        >>

                        >> Chronos wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> I had a friend who used a character generator, which i believe to be
                        >>> this, for D&D and had about every D&D book in it from codemonkey. They
                        >>> no longer seem to have it on codemonkey and I am wondering where to
                        >>> get the books for it now.

                        >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                        >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                        >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                        >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                      • Chronos
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
                          I am not the GM but I really wish to do this for my players (As I am
                          the host) We spend some fairly large amount of time leveling when we
                          do and I really wish we could just plug our chars in and have all the
                          options when leveling. If I had the time to learn the programing I
                          could put in the races and classes we are using and planning to use
                          and add all the rest slowly but again the time I have is limited and
                          to post what I would like would be a large order (for a 12 person game
                          -_-)

                          > Yeah, it's nice to have a complete set...
                          >
                          > As always, you can make anything you want for personal use. IF you
                          > desperately need a class, feat or power just post what it is you
                          need on
                          > the 'pcgenlistfilehelp' yahoo group, and one of us can usually spare
                          > some time to lend a hand.
                          >
                          > I personally code up the things I need before my game, that includes
                          > personalized magic items, powers and other GM things. As the GM, I
                          > maintain all the PCs, NPCs and monsters on my computer, so updating the
                          > characters (though the responsibility of the player) is always at my
                          > finger tips, so adding new things is easy. I'd bet that a fair
                          amount of
                          > fellow pcgeners do the same thing.
                          >
                          > Coding is fun once you learn, then making your homebrew campaign is a
                          > cinch... say like a D&D fantasy world with Zerg invaders within a
                          > Dragonstar Empire (who are about to also invade if not dealt with)...
                          > and don't forget a little Monte Cook World of Darkness just to keep
                          > things interesting. (Still haven't decided on the Kingdom Hearts action
                          > or not yet...) :-)
                          >

                          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                          > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                          >

                          > Chronos wrote:
                          > > Ah that is just a shame... I do indeed want all the books (as i
                          > > personally own most 3.5 books excluding campaign settings)
                          > > Unfortunately the free time I usually have is... well for playing
                          D&D...

                          > >> Hi Chronos,
                          > >>
                          > >> CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) was unable to renew their license
                          > >>
                          > > agreement
                          > >
                          > >> with WotC, which means they are unable to make those data sets
                          > >>
                          > > available
                          > >
                          > >> to the public for sale, however, if your friend still has those sets
                          > >> through CMP, then he may update them to use PCGen 5.14.1.
                          > >>
                          > >> But all is not lost for those who did not get the books from CMP in
                          > >> time; many people don't require the whole books for their
                          personal use
                          > >> or home games, instead just needing a class here and a feat
                          there... In
                          > >> those cases, making those classes for yourself is fairly simple. We
                          > >>
                          > > have
                          > >
                          > >> several monkeys willing to share their tips and help you along
                          over on
                          > >> the List File Help Group (See links bottom of this post).
                          > >>
                          > >> And if you're really keen on having the entire book, then it's not a
                          > >> hard process to create an entire book, just patience, perseverance,
                          > >> determination and plenty of free time. :-)
                          > >>

                          > >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                          > >> ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                          > >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
                          > >> ~ Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                          > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

                          Links