Re: [pcgen] Unfortunately bowing out of using PCGen

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
      On Saturday 08 November 2008 08:27:20 pm Keith McComb wrote:
      > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
      > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.
      >
      > Don't get me wrong - I love this program. It works beautifully on my
      > PC desktop - at work.
      >
      > But when I'm gaming, I have my laptop with me. And I really can't see
      > using it if it won't run when I need it to.
      >
      > This bug has been reported here, I know, and even verified by a second
      > person. For some reason, under Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, starting PCGen
      > will NOT bring up the sources. It loads them, but they are not
      > visible. When you try to work with a character, this same source bug
      > causes other small problems - it's like it doesn't see them.
      >
      > I'm not leaving the group, that's for sure. But I can't run this until
      > it works under Ubuntu Linux.

      Funny, it runs under Debian Lenny just fine... I use Sun's JRE 6 though.

      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
    • Jim Milne
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
        I find that pcgen runs better on my Ubuntu machine than it does on any Windows machines in my house. Why would you try and put it on a virtual machine?

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Keith McComb" <kinsfire@...> wrote:

          > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
          > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.

          Keith, I *develop* PCGen on Ubuntu (7.04 and 8.04-LTS), so a virtual
          machine shouldn't be required. Key issues:

          Are you running Sun's JVM?
          Have you un-installed OpenJava (this has been reported by some as
          required even if your default installation is Sun's JVM)

          TP.
        • Thomas Zunder
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
            I had this problem in 8.04
            Now.. how did I fix it?

            It was all to do with where the options.ini went.

            The .sh totally fails.. at first.
            So I opened the .jar file from Nautilus using Sun Java 6 [just checked..
            I do NOT have Open Java installed]
            This got me pcgen, but with no sources.

            I then went to the options (ignore all the paths which were wrong) and
            chose the PC Gen directory for the options.ini file to be saved in.
            However I am not sure it saved it there.. I seem to remember tracking it
            down and placing it into the pcgen directory.
            I also manually created a .pcgen folder in my home.. not sure if that
            was necessary.

            I then ran it again and changed all the locations in the preferences by
            hand and saved it all again.
            I then closed it and ran it and it worked, and also the pcgen.sh now
            also works.

            Now, I was installing from scratch, and I suspect some people have
            upgrades, but the current version certainly does not work out of the box
            on a clean install Ubuntu 8.04 with Sun Java 6.

            Maybe someone else could try a clean install and try to unpick what I
            did and sort it?

            I would but I have it working now!

            ---------->

            I have tested some more.

            It is the options.ini in the .pcgen directory in my home directory that
            PCGen is writing to when it runs.

            However if I delete the options.ini it recreates it now when I run pcgen.sh

            Basically this drove me mad but now I have fixed it, it is really hard
            to break again!

            Tom

            Keith McComb wrote:
            > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
            > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.

            --
            Tom Zunder
            http://www.zunder.org.uk

            Open Open Document Files in Microsoft Office with this plugin:
            http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp
          • Daniele Domenichelli
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2008
              Keith McComb wrote:

              > I have to, because I really don't feel like creating a virtual machine
              > on my Ubuntu laptop just for the purpose of running this program.
              >
              > Don't get me wrong - I love this program. It works beautifully on my
              > PC desktop - at work.
              >
              > But when I'm gaming, I have my laptop with me. And I really can't see
              > using it if it won't run when I need it to.
              >
              > This bug has been reported here, I know, and even verified by a second
              > person. For some reason, under Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, starting PCGen
              > will NOT bring up the sources. It loads them, but they are not
              > visible. When you try to work with a character, this same source bug
              > causes other small problems - it's like it doesn't see them.
              >
              > I'm not leaving the group, that's for sure. But I can't run this until
              > it works under Ubuntu Linux.

              Hi,
              I'm running pcgen on my kubuntu 8.04 since a couple of weeks, and i had
              the same problem, because by default ubuntu is using openjdk java
              instead of sun java.

              Try opening a shell and running:

              sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

              (This will install sun java if you didn't already install it)

              then run:

              sudo update-alternatives --config java
              and choose /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java from the list

              Regards,
              Daniele
            • Kinsfire
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                Now that I can finally get back online (long story that has nothing to do with this and everything to do with crappy documentation for a different program), I will add that I have tried this with 5.14.1 and ALL of the 5.15.x releases. Complete removal of all files each time, to ensure that I was not accidentally carrying forward a problem from a previous, possibly failed setup.

                I reiterate - I love this program, and keep my characters updated on my work machine during lunch and breaks (or in the rare free moment).

                I just have to work on a less understandable method for keeping updates to my characters on my laptop, and will pounce the moment that it works on Ubuntu again.

                Now to read the responses to this email.

                Keith

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                  Sun Java 6_10, to be precise, on my Ubuntu machine.

                  Keith

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                    That's the weird thing. I didn't have Java ON the machine until I put Sun's Java on it. (We're talking a fresh install - due to really bad documentation of a program, I found it easier to format my drive and reinstall everything, rather than try to undo what the program did).

                    So we're talking a brand new install of Intrepid, with no Java until I expressly installed sun-java6 through Synaptic. I'll double-check that openjava didn't sneak in there, but I don't remember seeing that listed at all.

                    Keith

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kinsfire" <kinsfire@...> wrote:

                      > So we're talking a brand new install of Intrepid, with no Java until
                      I expressly installed sun-java6 through Synaptic. I'll double-check
                      that openjava didn't sneak in there, but I don't remember seeing that
                      listed at all.

                      Please run:

                      dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

                      ...and send me the resulting file. Please don't paste here, it will
                      be long... a private email is best. Once I get a virtual machine
                      running 8.10, I should be able to test it and then reconcile your
                      setup vs. mine and establish what is different.

                      TP.
                    • Kinsfire
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                        The only thing on my machine is sun-java6

                        Keith

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2008
                          Ok, next question. Are you trying to start PCGen by using the shell script (pcgen.sh) or just by opening pcgen.jar? I have a fersh install thanks to my old laptop crashing on me this weekend and if I just try and open the pcgen.jar file instead of using pcgen.sh to start the program I get no sources.