Re: [ 1687659 ] Eq Customizer ignores PLUS: Token restrictions after removal

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
      > What's the point of coding a rule into a dataset if you are going to
      > ignore it?

      1) Ease of use. Assuming the user coded the rule into the dataset is
      a bad assumption. I would assert most users use our datasets without
      modification, which means they are not familiar with LST and want the
      program to "just work".

      2) Flexibility. There have been posts here and elsewhere about
      getting flexibility and not having PCGen enforce the rules at the
      expense of the user. This isn't law - the rules should be bendable.

      > Isn't the normal process to allow for bypassing of rules to
      > include a checkbox in the house-rules section?

      Normal does not necessarily imply good, and I was reacting as much to
      Karianna's use of "ideal" as I was to the question of "what should be
      done in 5.16?". Like many things I believe we should do, this one may
      not appear in the ideal state in 5.16. So be it. We have to
      prioritize what we do. However, I will remain of the opinion that the
      user is first, and we need to give flexibility to that user without
      requiring explicit action by the code team.

      My issue with the existing house rules section is that it's not
      flexible. Effectively, it's code overhead - we have to add a
      preference to the preference UI, storage into the options file, and
      allow that preference to have an impact in the code (which often makes
      the code harder to read and follow). It is - in my opinion - a huge
      inhibitor to having a house rule. If every house rule has to run
      through the code team, then we've defeated the concept of a "house
      rule" and made it a "world-wide rule you can apply in your house".
      There's a difference there, and one I hope we can someday resolve.

      TP.