Age brackers

  • Brad Stiles
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
      What is supposed to happen when I set the Age on the Description tab to
      "Venerable", or any other value besides "Adulthood"? As far as I can
      tell, nothing does happen. In fact, the option isn't even sticky. When
      I switch away from the Description tab, it's set back to blank when I go
      back. Even if I save the character with "Venerable" set, it gets set to
      blank.

      The "Other Adj" column of the Abilities table seems to take it's values
      from whatever AGESET is first in the biosettings.lst file provided with
      that gamemode/source. In another set of data I have, Child was listed
      first, and those penalties were applied to all of the abilities, and I
      couldn't get rid of them no-how, except by reordering the data in the
      LST file.

      Brad
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
        If the race has a properly setup bio setting then changing those will affect the abilities and should also change the age; for races without  bio setting nothing will happen. The same is true if you set the age to something other than normal adult, it will change it. AND it should stick... the non-stick behavior is what you get when no bio has been set.

        That is IF it actually is working. I can't test till I get home and do a rebuild.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
          > If the race has a properly setup bio setting then changing those will
          > affect the abilities and should also change the age; for races
          > without  bio setting nothing will happen. The same is true if you set
          > the age to something other than normal adult, it will change it. AND
          > it should stick... the non-stick behavior is what you get when no bio
          > has been set.

          Well, the names of the AGESET look like they are coming from the
          biosettings file that are in the data directory, as opposed to the
          system directory, as the entries in the dropdown box match the ones in
          data, but *not* the ones in system. I have no idea if that means they
          are set up correctly, of course, but I will note that when "Child" was
          first AGESET:0, the penalties on the Summary tab were the same as the
          ones in the AGESET entry. When I made Adult the AGESET:0 entry (it was
          2), the penalties went away.

          Brad
        • Brad Stiles
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
            > > What is supposed to happen when I set the Age on the Description tab
            > > to "Venerable", or any other value besides "Adulthood"? As far as I

            > > can tell, nothing does happen. In fact, the option isn't even
            sticky.
            > > When I switch away from the Description tab, it's set back to blank
            > > when I go back. Even if I save the character with "Venerable" set,
            > > it gets set to blank.

            > If the race has a properly setup bio setting then changing those will
            > affect the abilities and should also change the age; for races
            > without  bio setting nothing will happen. The same is true if you set
            > the age to something other than normal adult, it will change it. AND
            > it should stick... the non-stick behavior is what you get when no bio
            > has been set.
            >
            > That is IF it actually is working. I can't test till I get home and
            > do a rebuild.

            Did you get a chance to look at this?

            Brad
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
              Using the latest build.

              Create a Human, adept lv 1,

              Description, change the default tab of Adulthood to Old - age is
              automatically added, change to vulnerable... age is recalculated.

              I go back to summary tab - All physical stats are -6, and mental stats
              are +3.

              Seems to be working fine.

              ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              ~ Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

              Brad Stiles wrote:
              >>> What is supposed to happen when I set the Age on the Description tab
              >>> to "Venerable", or any other value besides "Adulthood"? As far as I
              >>>

              >>> can tell, nothing does happen. In fact, the option isn't even
              >>>
              > sticky.
              >
              >>> When I switch away from the Description tab, it's set back to blank
              >>> when I go back. Even if I save the character with "Venerable" set,
              >>> it gets set to blank.
              >>>

              >> If the race has a properly setup bio setting then changing those will
              >> affect the abilities and should also change the age; for races
              >> without bio setting nothing will happen. The same is true if you set
              >> the age to something other than normal adult, it will change it. AND
              >> it should stick... the non-stick behavior is what you get when no bio
              >> has been set.
              >>
              >> That is IF it actually is working. I can't test till I get home and
              >> do a rebuild.
              >>

              > Did you get a chance to look at this?
              >
              > Brad

            • Barak
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008

                Try changing the age before adding a level. (Which you need to do if you
                want skills to end up correct).

                (I reported this several months ago IIRC... or at least I meant to if I
                didn't... :p)

                Barak