Re: PCGen's errata policy [Eric][Eddy]

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 17, 2008
      Hey all,

      Eric, can you check to see if we have our official policy on this
      listed somewhere? We should be able to refer queries like this to a
      piece of doco or wiki.

      Eddy, can you have a chat with hte OGL guys and see if there's any
      wiggle room for us to provide an official PCGen MOD set that
      implements the various errata?

      thnx!

      Karianna
      <Making the team's day just that little bit harder>

      > > > be made (if I'm not mistaken), but Weapon Finesse at first
      > > > level is not a reasonable choice since you can't make that
      > > > choice with a BAB +0
      > >
      > > Very true, but that's what our source material says.
      > >
      > > *shrug*
      > >
      > > We've come a long way on our rep for following the rules.
      > > Sometimes it's a PITA (as in the situation here), but the
      > > goodwill generated amongst the publishers by our following the
      > > rules far outweighs the minor inconveniences/irritations like
      > > this.
      >
      > C'est la vie. This kinda worries me, though. d20srd.org is using
      > the errata, so I've e-mailed the webmaster asking for info on the
      > errata use regarding the RSRD, because I'd hate to see him and his
      > site in trouble. Just waiting for a reply now.
      >
      > I guess it's time to work on some MODs...
      >
      > --
      > Fluxxdog
      >
      > The worst crime you can commit against another human being is to
      > make them think.

    • Michael W. Fender
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 17, 2008
        On Friday 17 October 2008 04:52:27 am Martijn Verburg wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > Eric, can you check to see if we have our official policy on this
        > listed somewhere? We should be able to refer queries like this to a
        > piece of doco or wiki.
        >
        > Eddy, can you have a chat with hte OGL guys and see if there's any
        > wiggle room for us to provide an official PCGen MOD set that
        > implements the various errata?
        >
        > thnx!
        >
        > Karianna
        > <Making the team's day just that little bit harder>

        Making everyone's day harder was not my intent *O.O*

        --
        Fluxxdog

        think.
      • Brad Stiles
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 17, 2008
          > Eddy, can you have a chat with hte OGL guys and see if there's any
          > wiggle room for us to provide an official PCGen MOD set that
          > implements the various errata?

          Has anyone just asked WotC's permission to use the errata? It seems
          unlikely to me that they are going to spend the time and effort to
          update the SRD at this point, since they already have an updated
          product that they want people to use, and while the same might apply
          to giving permission to use it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

          Brad
        • Michael W. Fender
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 17, 2008
            On Friday 17 October 2008 09:17:52 am Brad Stiles wrote:
            > > Eddy, can you have a chat with hte OGL guys and see if there's any
            > > wiggle room for us to provide an official PCGen MOD set that
            > > implements the various errata?
            >
            > Has anyone just asked WotC's permission to use the errata? It seems
            > unlikely to me that they are going to spend the time and effort to
            > update the SRD at this point, since they already have an updated
            > product that they want people to use, and while the same might apply
            > to giving permission to use it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
            >
            > Brad

            That's why I e-mailed the webmaster of d20srd.org. He may be privy to
            information we don't know or he may not have the right info himself. I mean,
            I thought the (R)SRD was flexible enough to allow changes based on
            conflicting information or mechanics, not unlike WotC's rule of "The latest
            version is the official version."

            For example, in Song and Silence (3.0 rules, released December 2001), the Jack
            of All Trades feat, which allows you to make any skill check as trained,
            required a minimum level of 8. However, when Deities and Demigods (3.0 rules
            again, released April 2002), came out, it required a minimum level of 6. So
            the became the rule. When the RSRD was released (basically the core of 3.5),
            that feat was packed in there too (at Level 6) as Open Content. Then came
            Complete Adventurer (3.5 rules, released January 2005) which redefined it yet
            again. This time, the requirement was at least Intelligence 13. So which
            rule do you use? Ideally, DM call. Mine says "Either or." (Hence the
            reason I have the feat MODded with:
            Jack Of All Trades.MOD PRE:.CLEAR PREMULT:1,[PRELEVEL:MIN=6],
            [PRESTAT:1,INT=13]
            ... so that anyone who's either Level 6 or has 13 INT can take it.)

            Now, in this case, Complete Adventurer is Product Identity, so PCGen would
            never include it. But if PCGen had something in their data or what not from
            the RSRD that was faulty (such as the aforementioned Weapon Finessed
            animals), shouldn't they have the leeway to change it, even though it's also
            part of errata for a PI source? That's the big question. The mechanic that
            the errata deals with is OGL as it's not affecting any of the flavor text of
            those creatures. (If you want, here's a link to the errata:
            http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a
            )
            That seems to be the big glitch: Can non-WotC release revised content to the
            RSRD freely? I mean, the OGL allowed so many 3rd party books to be published
            on that very same premise...

            --
            Fluxxdog

            think.
          • drklassen
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 17, 2008
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender" <fluxxdog@...> wrote:

              > So what happens to the starting kits then? Because the data in them is
              > erroneous. The intent of the kits is to apply reasonable choices
              that would
              > be made (if I'm not mistaken), but Weapon Finesse at first level is
              not a
              > reasonable choice since you can't make that choice with a BAB +0
              >
              > --
              > Fluxxdog

              Well, I just edited rsrd_races__animals.lst and rsrd_kits__animals.lst
              directly, putting in the errata changes. I originally reported this
              to the Code Monkey Publishing forum---since at the time I didn't know
              there was a difference between CMP and PCGen. You can find that
              post at
              http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1210