BasicFantasy(.org)

  • Mark Small
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2008
      I've been playing with this game system lately and attempted the
      daunting task of converting it to PCGen with no luck, mostly because I
      don't have the free time. The two problems I foresee are
      1) Some races have hit die limits, which would override class
      standards; IE: elves are limited to 6 sided HD even if as a fighter
      they should be 8 sided.
      2) Attribute bonuses isn't a simple (dex-10.5)/2. It's an uneven
      scale that you'd have to look at the docs themselves to figure.

      I'm hoping that one of you more experience users could take a look at
      incorporating BasicFantasy into PCGen, or at least get a start so all
      I'd have to do is start filling in all the races and spells.

      Thanks in advance,
      Mark Small
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2008
        Hi Mark,

        Any 'public' endeavor requires permission from the publisher before any
        monkey would start work. Personal work does not require permission.

        For issue #1 - in the race use HITDIE:x with x being the cap. Though,
        even then it's not going to be accurate.

        There are ways to do it, but it all depends how complex you want it to be.

        Simple - HITDIE:6
        More Complex - SubClass using HITDIE or HD (one Subclass for each race)

        Issue 2 - that's controlled by the gamemode. You'd have to tweak the
        statsandchecks.lst file to change the bonus. It's a formula. But you
        could change it if need be.

        If those are the only two major issues, I don't see much of a problem
        converting for personal use.

        If you require further assistance, we have a Y! group for list file
        help. See bottom of sig for the links.

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"