Advanced Learning

  • Burnie Fox
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 5, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm currently in the process of trying to implement the Warmage class.
      The thing I'm having trouble with is the Advanced Learning ability,
      which lets them choose one evocation spell from the wizard spell list,
      of a level <= their current maximum spell level castable. As I see
      it, this would consist of:

      Selecting an wizard evocation of the appropriate level
      Adding the selected spell to the list of known spells

      I've got a chooser that lets the user select an evocation from the
      wizard list:

      CHOOSE:SPELLS|SCHOOL=Evocation,CLASSLIST=Wizard

      I have two questions:
      How to limit the spell level on the chooser? Adding the "z" parameter
      [LEVELMAX=MAXCASTABLE] causes the chooser to no longer activate, why?
      How to add the spell returned by the chooser to the list of spells
      known? I would assume that would require increasing the number of
      known spells by one, which is easy enough in itself, using
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN, but you need to know the spell level -- how can you
      determine the spell level of the spell returned by the chooser? Or
      would it be necessary to have the user select the spell level desired
      first, then add the SPELLKNOWN based on that level, and THEN select
      the spell from the desired level?

      I'm guessing that this has to be some combination of the CHOOSE,
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN, and SPELLS tags, but then again, what do I know?
      Hopefully, it's really complicated and hard, so I won't feel like an
      idiot! :)

      That was a little more rambling than I intended it to be. If anyone
      has any ideas or pointers, I'd love to hear from you.

      Thanks for reading this far.

      Burnie
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 14, 2008
        Yes, Tom, I forgot about the CLASSLIST with SPELLLIST interaction
        conversation we had. (I remembered there was something about the
        classlist and maxcastable causing problems).

        Reviewing the related bug trackers I found:
        2024451 SPELLTYPE ANY is not typed to an item correctly
        <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2024451&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
        2095568 CHOOSE:SPELLS not working correctly
        <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2095568&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

        2097495 CHOOSE:SPELLS (Ability) [MAXCASTABLE] null
        <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2097495&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

        And I just created this:
        2110604 CHOOSE:SPELLS SPELLLIST in conjuction with CLASSLIST bug
        <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2110604&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
        -If the PC has access to the Wizard list based on the SPELLLIST tag in
        the class, then it should succeed

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"