Would appreciate some help....

  • Mark Small
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27 7:03 AM
      I'm having no luck trying to wrap my head around creating a setup for
      a game. I want to create a source for Basic Fantasy
      (www.basicfantasy.org). One thing that's throwing me is elves have a
      maximum hit die size of d6, regardless of class. Also, am I
      understanding this correctly? All monster and player races are in one
      big set, so a player can select any monster as a race, too? Is there
      a way to limit race selection for players to just a select few? I'm
      going back to reading through the how to again; wish me luck.
      -Mark Small
    • Susan Dittmar
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27 7:27 AM
        Quoting Mark Small (croyd132@...):
        > All monster and player races are in one
        > big set, so a player can select any monster as a race, too? Is there
        > a way to limit race selection for players to just a select few?

        As far as I know there's no such restriction, except by not loading the
        unwanted races. I probably would rely on the humans behind the keyboard to
        restrict themselves to the races accessible for the game, not have the
        program force the restriction.

        Reason: You generate NPCs and monsters with the same program. Having to
        keep two rule sets *parallel* is much more pain in the ass than telling the
        players "concerning races, choose between this, this and that".

        Susan

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27 7:50 AM
          Hi Mark,

          HITDIE:6 on the Race Line.

          However, I don't know if that applies to any Class Levels taken.

          What I would do if that's the case (Depending on strictness), make a
          subclass of the class(es) you're Elf is going to take, make them HD:6,
          PRERACE:1,WimpyElf
          (Substitute Wimpy Elf for the Elf Race name, if it's ALL elves then use
          'Elf%' without the quotes).

          Susan is correct. The program is a PC and NPC generator. As GM you
          dictate what races are available. Having the coders put together a
          Player only vs. GM only rule set is a true PITA. People tend to follow
          the rules. Though check out the pcc customizer option.

          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"