Re: [pcgen] Re: Data sets will not load PCGen 5.14.1

  • Keith McComb
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 16, 2008
      Same here. I specifically changed to 3.0 because I'm in a 3.0 campaign,
      and had no change regarding the sources.

      Oh, and if the question was whether or not there were choices, the
      answer is yes - there were quite a few. (I only pay attention to the
      3.0/3.5, so I can't recall what the others are right now, but they were
      there.)

      Keith

      Tom Parker wrote:

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, James
      > Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
      > > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
      > > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?
      >
      > For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
      > the loaded sources displayed (none)
      >
      > TP.

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
        I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
        available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
        with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
        in the spot where it should appear.

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
          Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...

          That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
          "can't" access.

          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

          Mike wrote:
          > I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
          > available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
          > with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
          > in the spot where it should appear.
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith McComb <kinsfire@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Same here. I specifically changed to 3.0 because I'm in a 3.0 campaign,
          >> and had no change regarding the sources.
          >>
          >> Oh, and if the question was whether or not there were choices, the
          >> answer is yes - there were quite a few. (I only pay attention to the
          >> 3.0/3.5, so I can't recall what the others are right now, but they were
          >> there.)
          >>
          >> Keith
          >>
          >> Tom Parker wrote:
          >>
          >>> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, James

          >>> For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
          >>> the loaded sources displayed (none)
          >>>
          >>> TP.

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
            I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
            "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
            looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
            still do not have selections available within the menu.

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
              Interesting... well we're moving in the right direction.

              Next, can you select 35e or 3e or any other game mode?

              Mike wrote:
              > I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
              > "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
              > looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
              > still do not have selections available within the menu.

              >> Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...
              >>
              >> That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
              >> "can't" access.
              >>
              >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
              >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
              >>

              >> Mike wrote:
              >>
              >>> I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
              >>> available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
              >>> with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
              >>> in the spot where it should appear.

              > campaign,

              > they were

              > James

              > impact on

              >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
              >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
              >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

              >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

            • Phantom Of Krankor
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                I'm having a similar problem, but only when I don't have 3.5e
                selected. I created a custom Game Mode (for DA Blackmoor) to create
                some setting-specific Abilities. When I try to open a character, it
                craps out because it can't seem to auto-load the sources. This is in
                5.12.1 (yeah, I know it's old, but I've got a lot of custom data sets
                and hate migrating to every version).

                -Greg G

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                > > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                > > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?
                >
                > For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                > the loaded sources displayed (none)
                >
                > TP.

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008

                  Long shift Andrew??? :p

                  Barak
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                    Unfortunately, no. There are no listings within the menu section. I
                    tried to get another screen shot, but it won't let me while in the menu.

                    > Interesting... well we're moving in the right direction.
                    >
                    > Next, can you select 35e or 3e or any other game mode?
                    >
                    > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                    >

                    > Mike wrote:
                    > > I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                    > > "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                    > > looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                    > > still do not have selections available within the menu.

                    > >> Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...
                    > >>
                    > >> That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                    > >> "can't" access.
                    > >>
                    > >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > >> ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                    > >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin

                    > > campaign,

                    > > they were

                    > > James

                    > > impact on

                    > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

                    Links

                    > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                      Hi Guys
                      Sounds to me like the filepaths.ini might be pointed to an invalid
                      location. We ship a filepaths.ini file with the install which will point to
                      the user directory as a the place to store preferences, this way it can pick
                      up settings from previous installs. If those file paths are no longer valid
                      you could see this problem.

                      Check a couple of things:

                      First go to the Location window in preferences and see where the file paths
                      are pointing for the gameMode and data folders, if they are not pointed to
                      the install location that's your problem.

                      Second, if that doesn't provide an obvious fix I'd delete the filepaths.ini,
                      filter.ini and options.ini files and restart the program, that deletes all
                      the preferences and lets you set where to store your options. If the problem
                      is what I think it is that would fix it.

                      Mike scribed:

                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                        I've given all of that a try, but still have no luck.

                        I think it may have to do with the Vendor Data Directory. I had asked
                        about that in my first post as I think it may be the issue. I still
                        don't have a valid path for it. Any thoughts on which director or file
                        path it should be pointing to? By default it points to
                        /home/ghoti/vendordata a folder which does not exist.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                          Mike scribed:

                          > I've given all of that a try, but still have no luck.
                          >
                          > I think it may have to do with the Vendor Data Directory. I had asked
                          > about that in my first post as I think it may be the issue. I still
                          > don't have a valid path for it. Any thoughts on which director or file
                          > path it should be pointing to? By default it points to
                          > /home/ghoti/vendordata a folder which does not exist.

                          Shouldn't be a problem, the Vendor Data Directory is optional. Have you
                          tried pointing it to a directory that does exist?
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008