Re: Data sets will not load PCGen 5.14.1

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 15, 2008
      > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
      > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
      restart
      > PCGen.

      It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
      enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
      thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
      experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
      listings are causing silent issues).

      Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
      there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
      the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
      going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
      it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )

      TP.
    • Kinsfire
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 15, 2008
        Oh, bless your fuzzy little heart. I thought I was going insane trying this. At least I know that it's reproducable.

        It was making me crazy - I specifically removed all but Sun's Java, made sure it was up to date, and even deleted the files in the .pcgen folder, but it wouldn't work for me - and I'd had it working under 7.10. So it's definitely SOMETHING in the change that Ubuntu made between Gutsy and Hardy. (That's how I read it, at least.)

        Keith

        > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
        > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
        restart
        > PCGen.

        It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
        enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
        thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
        experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
        listings are causing silent issues).

        Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
        there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
        the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
        going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
        it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )

        TP.

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 15, 2008
          That's exactly the issue. I've captured a screen shot and posted it at
          http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/NoSources.bmp

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

          > > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
          > > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
          > restart
          > > PCGen.
          >
          > It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
          > enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
          > thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
          > experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
          > listings are causing silent issues).
          >
          > Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
          > there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
          > the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
          > going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
          > it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )
          >
          > TP.

        • Kinsfire
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 15, 2008
            And that is precisely what I get, even after verifying that all the sources are where the program should be looking for them, and that the program is looking for them where I verified them to be. (Sounds weird, but double checking like that has saved my bacon on a few issues.)

            It's nice to know that it can be repeated by others.

            Keith

            That's exactly the issue. I've captured a screen shot and posted it at
            http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/NoSources.bmp

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

            > > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
            > > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
            > restart
            > > PCGen.
            >
            > It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
            > enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
            > thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
            > experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
            > listings are causing silent issues).
            >
            > Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
            > there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
            > the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
            > going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
            > it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )
            >
            > TP.

          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 15, 2008

              Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
              under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu? Based on Mike's screen
              shot, the program is still in the default game mode which has no
              sources. If there is anything under the menu, switch to 35e mode and see
              if anything changes please.

              Cheers,
              James.

              On 16/08/2008 7:37 AM Mike wrote
              > That's exactly the issue. I've captured a screen shot and posted it at
              > http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/NoSources.bmp
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
              >
              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
              >>> "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
              >>>
              >> restart
              >>
              >>> PCGen.
              >>>
              >> It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
              >> enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
              >> thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
              >> experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
              >> listings are causing silent issues).
              >>
              >> Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
              >> there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
              >> the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
              >> going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
              >> it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )
              >>
              >> TP.

            • Tom Parker
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 15, 2008
                > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?

                For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                the loaded sources displayed (none)

                TP.
              • Keith McComb
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 16, 2008
                  Same here. I specifically changed to 3.0 because I'm in a 3.0 campaign,
                  and had no change regarding the sources.

                  Oh, and if the question was whether or not there were choices, the
                  answer is yes - there were quite a few. (I only pay attention to the
                  3.0/3.5, so I can't recall what the others are right now, but they were
                  there.)

                  Keith

                  Tom Parker wrote:

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, James
                  > Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                  > > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                  > > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?
                  >
                  > For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                  > the loaded sources displayed (none)
                  >
                  > TP.

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                    I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
                    available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
                    with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
                    in the spot where it should appear.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                      Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...

                      That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                      "can't" access.

                      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                      Mike wrote:
                      > I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
                      > available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
                      > with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
                      > in the spot where it should appear.
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith McComb <kinsfire@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Same here. I specifically changed to 3.0 because I'm in a 3.0 campaign,
                      >> and had no change regarding the sources.
                      >>
                      >> Oh, and if the question was whether or not there were choices, the
                      >> answer is yes - there were quite a few. (I only pay attention to the
                      >> 3.0/3.5, so I can't recall what the others are right now, but they were
                      >> there.)
                      >>
                      >> Keith
                      >>
                      >> Tom Parker wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, James

                      >>> For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                      >>> the loaded sources displayed (none)
                      >>>
                      >>> TP.

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                        I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                        "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                        looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                        still do not have selections available within the menu.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                          Interesting... well we're moving in the right direction.

                          Next, can you select 35e or 3e or any other game mode?

                          Mike wrote:
                          > I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                          > "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                          > looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                          > still do not have selections available within the menu.

                          >> Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...
                          >>
                          >> That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                          >> "can't" access.
                          >>
                          >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                          >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
                          >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                          >>

                          >> Mike wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
                          >>> available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
                          >>> with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
                          >>> in the spot where it should appear.

                          > campaign,

                          > they were

                          > James

                          > impact on

                          >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                          >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                          >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                          >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                        • Phantom Of Krankor
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                            I'm having a similar problem, but only when I don't have 3.5e
                            selected. I created a custom Game Mode (for DA Blackmoor) to create
                            some setting-specific Abilities. When I try to open a character, it
                            craps out because it can't seem to auto-load the sources. This is in
                            5.12.1 (yeah, I know it's old, but I've got a lot of custom data sets
                            and hate migrating to every version).

                            -Greg G

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                            > > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                            > > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?
                            >
                            > For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                            > the loaded sources displayed (none)
                            >
                            > TP.

                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008

                              Long shift Andrew??? :p

                              Barak
                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                                Unfortunately, no. There are no listings within the menu section. I
                                tried to get another screen shot, but it won't let me while in the menu.

                                > Interesting... well we're moving in the right direction.
                                >
                                > Next, can you select 35e or 3e or any other game mode?
                                >
                                > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                                >

                                > Mike wrote:
                                > > I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                                > > "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                                > > looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                                > > still do not have selections available within the menu.

                                > >> Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...
                                > >>
                                > >> That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                                > >> "can't" access.
                                > >>
                                > >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                > >> ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                                > >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin

                                > > campaign,

                                > > they were

                                > > James

                                > > impact on

                                > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

                                Links

                                > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                                > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                              • Eddy Anthony
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                                  Hi Guys
                                  Sounds to me like the filepaths.ini might be pointed to an invalid
                                  location. We ship a filepaths.ini file with the install which will point to
                                  the user directory as a the place to store preferences, this way it can pick
                                  up settings from previous installs. If those file paths are no longer valid
                                  you could see this problem.

                                  Check a couple of things:

                                  First go to the Location window in preferences and see where the file paths
                                  are pointing for the gameMode and data folders, if they are not pointed to
                                  the install location that's your problem.

                                  Second, if that doesn't provide an obvious fix I'd delete the filepaths.ini,
                                  filter.ini and options.ini files and restart the program, that deletes all
                                  the preferences and lets you set where to store your options. If the problem
                                  is what I think it is that would fix it.

                                  Mike scribed:

                                  --
                                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                • Mike
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                                    I've given all of that a try, but still have no luck.

                                    I think it may have to do with the Vendor Data Directory. I had asked
                                    about that in my first post as I think it may be the issue. I still
                                    don't have a valid path for it. Any thoughts on which director or file
                                    path it should be pointing to? By default it points to
                                    /home/ghoti/vendordata a folder which does not exist.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008
                                      Mike scribed:

                                      > I've given all of that a try, but still have no luck.
                                      >
                                      > I think it may have to do with the Vendor Data Directory. I had asked
                                      > about that in my first post as I think it may be the issue. I still
                                      > don't have a valid path for it. Any thoughts on which director or file
                                      > path it should be pointing to? By default it points to
                                      > /home/ghoti/vendordata a folder which does not exist.

                                      Shouldn't be a problem, the Vendor Data Directory is optional. Have you
                                      tried pointing it to a directory that does exist?
                                      --
                                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                    • Mike
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 18, 2008