Re: [pcgen] Data sets will not load PCGen 5.14.1

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 9 7:32 PM
      Hi Keith,

      Is the info at the bottom of
      http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/faqpages/faqoutofmemoryandjavaissues.htmlof
      any help?

      Cheers,
      James.

      2008/8/10 Keith McComb <kinsfire@...>

      > I just ensured that "Sun Java 6 Runtime" is my default Java installation
      > on this machine. After doing this, I opened PCGen, and am looking at the
      > Sources tab.
      >
      > Nothing.
      >
      > Keith
      >
      > Terry FitzSimons wrote:
      > >
      > > Its probably the Java that you have. Usually its recommended that you
      > > replace the one that came with the system and replace it with Suns
      > > version.
      > >
      > > Terry
      > >
      > > On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:32:42 -0400, Keith McComb <kinsfire@...
      > > <mailto:kinsfire%40gmail.com <kinsfire%2540gmail.com>>>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > >I have tried reinstalling from scratch - completely clean install. The
      > > >data sets are listed in the directory, but I can not get PCGen to admit
      > > >that the damned things exist.
      > > >
      > > >I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and have created a new directory and unzipped
      > > >the 5141_full.zip file into it. It will not list any data sets, even
      > > >after I ensure that the program is looking in the proper areas. If I
      > > >attempt to load the files or install them, it tells me that they are
      > > >incorrectly formatted for the program.
      > > >
      > > >What precise info do you need to help me hunt down this problem?
      > > >
      > > >Keith
      > > --
      > >
      > > Terry FitzSimons
      > > FITZSIMONS@... <mailto:FITZSIMONS%40MINTEL.NET<FITZSIMONS%2540MINTEL.NET>>(Small
      > Letters Only)
      > >
      > > Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon

    • Keith McComb
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 9 7:49 PM
        This is the response I get after my first attempt to make sure I was
        using Sun's Java.

        java -version returned:

        java version "1.6.0_07"
        Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

        Doing |update-alternatives --config java| tells me that I'm using the
        Sun version. Still no sign of any of the data sets.

        Keith||

        James Dempsey wrote:

        > Hi Keith,
        >
        > Is the info at the bottom of
        > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/faqpages/faqoutofmemoryandjavaissues.htmlof
        > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/faqpages/faqoutofmemoryandjavaissues.htmlof>
        > any help?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James.
        >
        > 2008/8/10 Keith McComb <kinsfire@... <mailto:kinsfire%40gmail.com>>
        >
        > > I just ensured that "Sun Java 6 Runtime" is my default Java installation
        > > on this machine. After doing this, I opened PCGen, and am looking at the
        > > Sources tab.
        > >
        > > Nothing.
        > >
        > > Keith
        > >
        > > Terry FitzSimons wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Its probably the Java that you have. Usually its recommended that you
        > > > replace the one that came with the system and replace it with Suns
        > > > version.
        > > >
        > > > Terry
        > > >
        > > > On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:32:42 -0400, Keith McComb
        > <kinsfire@... <mailto:kinsfire%40gmail.com>
        > > > <mailto:kinsfire%40gmail.com <kinsfire%2540gmail.com>>>

        > install. The
        > admit

        > > > --
        > > >
        > > > Terry FitzSimons
        > > > FITZSIMONS@... <mailto:FITZSIMONS%40MINTEL.NET>
        > <mailto:FITZSIMONS%40MINTEL.NET<FITZSIMONS%2540MINTEL.NET>>(Small
        > > Letters Only)
        > > >
        > > > Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 15 8:04 AM
          I'm also experiencing this issue. What I have discovered is that
          there is no "Vendordata" folder available in the directory structre
          of PCGen 5.14.1. In older versions (5.12) the "Vendordata" folder
          was found directly under the home directory for PCGen. However, it
          is no longer available in the new version. I was going to try
          downloading a previous copy of the program and extracting only the
          Vendordata file to see if it would allow the sources to be loaded
          again. However, I'm not at the computer with the problem...

          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 15 9:03 AM
            Interesting... I can't recall ever having such a folder. I know of the
            sourcepath that uses that name (Which defaults to the data folder). I
            checked the earliest version I still have installed, which is 5.13.8

            The Vendordata source path was a folder (you designated) where you could
            place extra data sets from sources like CMP, or put your homebrew data sets.

            But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
            "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then restart
            PCGen.

            I think the problems that cause issues are the following:
            Wrong Java version or type (1.4 or earlier, or anything not Sun)
            Incomplete Program settings - If you're like me you have your base
            settings pointed to external sources and NOT the defaults.
            Incomplete Data Sets - This occurs if you follow the above example and
            don't update your data sets. (In this case you get a ton of error messages)

            I know if I change my settings back to defaults then I can load
            everything just fine.

            What our coders need to help them recreate the problem (and yes if they
            can't recreate/reproduce a problem then they can't fix it) is what your
            settings are, which Java version, what version of pcgen and the platform
            you are loading it on (Window, Linux, Mac, etc.)

            When you install PCGen are you asked what directory to store the
            settings or is it keeping the previous settings?

            ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

          • Kinsfire
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 15 9:30 AM
              When last I looked on my laptop (before I deleted everything except my characters, which I keep in a completely different folder), I was running ONLY Sun Java 1.6, on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04). It simply unzipped everything into the folder I wanted, and when I first ran the program, it asked me NOTHING. I simply had a page that should have listed sources and didn't. I'd imagine that's part of the reason why trying to load one of my characters took roughly two minutes per tab whenever I wanted to look at something else - it STILL wasn't loading the sources.

              I went into the program and set the directories to where the sources seemed to be, but I still would receive nothing by way of source listings.

              I'll download it again, make sure that I have erased the .pcgen directory, and place PC-Gen in a place I haven't put it before, and get back to you.

              Keith

              Mike wrote:
              > I'm also experiencing this issue. What I have discovered is that
              > there is no "Vendordata" folder available in the directory structre
              > of PCGen 5.14.1. In older versions (5.12) the "Vendordata" folder
              > was found directly under the home directory for PCGen. However, it
              > is no longer available in the new version. I was going to try
              > downloading a previous copy of the program and extracting only the
              > Vendordata file to see if it would allow the sources to be loaded
              > again. However, I'm not at the computer with the problem...
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith McComb <kinsfire@...> wrote:
              >
              >> This is the response I get after my first attempt to make sure I
              >>
              > was
              >
              >> using Sun's Java.
              >>
              >> java -version returned:
              >>
              >> java version "1.6.0_07"
              >> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)
              >>
              >> Doing |update-alternatives --config java| tells me that I'm using
              >>
              > the
              >
              >> Sun version. Still no sign of any of the data sets.
              >>
              >> Keith||
              >>
              >> James Dempsey wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hi Keith,
              >>>
              >>> Is the info at the bottom of
              >>> http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-
              >>>
              > docs/faqpages/faqoutofmemoryandjavaissues.htmlof
              >
              >>> <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-
              >>>
              > docs/faqpages/faqoutofmemoryandjavaissues.htmlof>
              >
              >>> any help?
              >>>
              >>> Cheers,
              >>> James.
              >>>
              >>> 2008/8/10 Keith McComb <kinsfire@... <mailto:kinsfire%
              >>>
              > 40gmail.com>>

              > installation

              > looking at the

              > that you

              > with Suns

              >>> <kinsfire@... <mailto:kinsfire%40gmail.com>

              >>> install. The

              > PCGen to
              >
              >>> admit

              > and unzipped

              > sets, even

              > areas. If I

              > they are

              > problem?

              >>> <mailto:FITZSIMONS%40MINTEL.NET<FITZSIMONS%2540MINTEL.NET>>(Small

            • Tom Parker
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 15 9:49 AM
                > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
                > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
                restart
                > PCGen.

                It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
                enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
                thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
                experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
                listings are causing silent issues).

                Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
                there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
                the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
                going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
                it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )

                TP.
              • Kinsfire
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 15 10:11 AM
                  Oh, bless your fuzzy little heart. I thought I was going insane trying this. At least I know that it's reproducable.

                  It was making me crazy - I specifically removed all but Sun's Java, made sure it was up to date, and even deleted the files in the .pcgen folder, but it wouldn't work for me - and I'd had it working under 7.10. So it's definitely SOMETHING in the change that Ubuntu made between Gutsy and Hardy. (That's how I read it, at least.)

                  Keith

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 15 2:37 PM
                    That's exactly the issue. I've captured a screen shot and posted it at
                    http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/NoSources.bmp

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                    > > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
                    > > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
                    > restart
                    > > PCGen.
                    >
                    > It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
                    > enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
                    > thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
                    > experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
                    > listings are causing silent issues).
                    >
                    > Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
                    > there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
                    > the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
                    > going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
                    > it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )
                    >
                    > TP.

                  • Kinsfire
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 15 2:49 PM
                      And that is precisely what I get, even after verifying that all the sources are where the program should be looking for them, and that the program is looking for them where I verified them to be. (Sounds weird, but double checking like that has saved my bacon on a few issues.)

                      It's nice to know that it can be repeated by others.

                      Keith

                      That's exactly the issue. I've captured a screen shot and posted it at
                      http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/NoSources.bmp

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                      > > But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
                      > > "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
                      > restart
                      > > PCGen.
                      >
                      > It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
                      > enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
                      > thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
                      > experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
                      > listings are causing silent issues).
                      >
                      > Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
                      > there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
                      > the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
                      > going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
                      > it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )
                      >
                      > TP.

                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 15 3:24 PM

                        Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                        under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu? Based on Mike's screen
                        shot, the program is still in the default game mode which has no
                        sources. If there is anything under the menu, switch to 35e mode and see
                        if anything changes please.

                        Cheers,
                        James.

                        On 16/08/2008 7:37 AM Mike wrote
                        > That's exactly the issue. I've captured a screen shot and posted it at
                        > http://rpg.go-ghoti.com/NoSources.bmp
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> But this alone would not cause the main sources to "disappear" or not
                        >>> "load". You can easily change the source path any time, and then
                        >>>
                        >> restart
                        >>
                        >>> PCGen.
                        >>>
                        >> It *should* not. Given my years as a programmer, I am not confident
                        >> enough in this case to say it "would not". It's an interesting
                        >> thought, and something for me to test on a Hardy Heron system
                        >> experiencing the problem (to see if any bad/non-existent directory
                        >> listings are causing silent issues).
                        >>
                        >> Since the problem is still identified as existing on Hardy Heron,
                        >> there is no need to provide additional information. I have reproduced
                        >> the problem, but haven't yet been able to figure out what is actually
                        >> going wrong. (PCGen *is* loading the sources, I can prove that, but
                        >> it isn't displaying them - I've gotten that far, at least ;) )
                        >>
                        >> TP.

                      • Tom Parker
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 15 8:58 PM
                          > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                          > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?

                          For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                          the loaded sources displayed (none)

                          TP.
                        • Keith McComb
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 16 8:48 PM
                            Same here. I specifically changed to 3.0 because I'm in a 3.0 campaign,
                            and had no change regarding the sources.

                            Oh, and if the question was whether or not there were choices, the
                            answer is yes - there were quite a few. (I only pay attention to the
                            3.0/3.5, so I can't recall what the others are right now, but they were
                            there.)

                            Keith

                            Tom Parker wrote:

                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, James
                            > Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                            > > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                            > > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?
                            >
                            > For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                            > the loaded sources displayed (none)
                            >
                            > TP.

                          • Mike
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 18 5:16 PM
                              I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
                              available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
                              with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
                              in the spot where it should appear.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 18 5:21 PM
                                Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...

                                That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                                "can't" access.

                                Mike wrote:
                                > I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
                                > available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
                                > with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
                                > in the spot where it should appear.
                                >
                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Keith McComb <kinsfire@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Same here. I specifically changed to 3.0 because I'm in a 3.0 campaign,
                                >> and had no change regarding the sources.
                                >>
                                >> Oh, and if the question was whether or not there were choices, the
                                >> answer is yes - there were quite a few. (I only pay attention to the
                                >> 3.0/3.5, so I can't recall what the others are right now, but they were
                                >> there.)
                                >>
                                >> Keith
                                >>
                                >> Tom Parker wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, James

                                >>> For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                                >>> the loaded sources displayed (none)
                                >>>
                                >>> TP.

                              • Mike
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 18 5:33 PM
                                  I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                                  "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                                  looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                                  still do not have selections available within the menu.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 18 5:38 PM
                                    Interesting... well we're moving in the right direction.

                                    Next, can you select 35e or 3e or any other game mode?

                                    Mike wrote:
                                    > I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                                    > "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                                    > looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                                    > still do not have selections available within the menu.

                                    >> Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...
                                    >>
                                    >> That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                                    >> "can't" access.
                                    >>
                                    >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                    >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin
                                    >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                                    >>

                                    >> Mike wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> I guess I'm slightly different then. I don't have any selections
                                    >>> available called "Game Mode/Campaign" under Preferences. I am familiar
                                    >>> with the program and know where it should be located, but it is blank
                                    >>> in the spot where it should appear.

                                    > campaign,

                                    > they were

                                    > James

                                    > impact on

                                    >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                                    >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                                    >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                                    >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                                  • Phantom Of Krankor
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 18 5:55 PM
                                      I'm having a similar problem, but only when I don't have 3.5e
                                      selected. I created a custom Game Mode (for DA Blackmoor) to create
                                      some setting-specific Abilities. When I try to open a character, it
                                      craps out because it can't seem to auto-load the sources. This is in
                                      5.12.1 (yeah, I know it's old, but I've got a lot of custom data sets
                                      and hate migrating to every version).

                                      -Greg G

                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                                      > > Tom, Mike or Keith, when you see this problem, does anything appear
                                      > > under the Settings > Game Mode/Campaign menu?
                                      >
                                      > For me, 3.5e is selected, and changing the selection has no impact on
                                      > the loaded sources displayed (none)
                                      >
                                      > TP.

                                    • Barak
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 18 5:56 PM

                                        Long shift Andrew??? :p

                                        Barak
                                      • Mike
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 18 6:17 PM
                                          Unfortunately, no. There are no listings within the menu section. I
                                          tried to get another screen shot, but it won't let me while in the menu.

                                          > Interesting... well we're moving in the right direction.
                                          >
                                          > Next, can you select 35e or 3e or any other game mode?
                                          >
                                          > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                          > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                                          >

                                          > Mike wrote:
                                          > > I had a folder "system/gameModes". When I changed the name to
                                          > > "system/gamemodes" the selection for Game Modes became available,
                                          > > looks like that much was a matter of case sensitivity. However, I
                                          > > still do not have selections available within the menu.

                                          > >> Odd, can you confirm you have a "system/gamemodes" directory...
                                          > >>
                                          > >> That would explain the problems if that is missing or in a place it
                                          > >> "can't" access.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                          > >> ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                                          > >> ~ Data Chimp, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Tamarin

                                          > > campaign,

                                          > > they were

                                          > > James

                                          > > impact on

                                          > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

                                          Links

                                          > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                                          > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                                        • Eddy Anthony
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 18 6:29 PM
                                            Hi Guys
                                            Sounds to me like the filepaths.ini might be pointed to an invalid
                                            location. We ship a filepaths.ini file with the install which will point to
                                            the user directory as a the place to store preferences, this way it can pick
                                            up settings from previous installs. If those file paths are no longer valid
                                            you could see this problem.

                                            Check a couple of things:

                                            First go to the Location window in preferences and see where the file paths
                                            are pointing for the gameMode and data folders, if they are not pointed to
                                            the install location that's your problem.

                                            Second, if that doesn't provide an obvious fix I'd delete the filepaths.ini,
                                            filter.ini and options.ini files and restart the program, that deletes all
                                            the preferences and lets you set where to store your options. If the problem
                                            is what I think it is that would fix it.

                                            Mike scribed:

                                            --
                                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                          • Mike
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 18 6:58 PM
                                              I've given all of that a try, but still have no luck.

                                              I think it may have to do with the Vendor Data Directory. I had asked
                                              about that in my first post as I think it may be the issue. I still
                                              don't have a valid path for it. Any thoughts on which director or file
                                              path it should be pointing to? By default it points to
                                              /home/ghoti/vendordata a folder which does not exist.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 18 7:10 PM
                                                Mike scribed:

                                                > I've given all of that a try, but still have no luck.
                                                >
                                                > I think it may have to do with the Vendor Data Directory. I had asked
                                                > about that in my first post as I think it may be the issue. I still
                                                > don't have a valid path for it. Any thoughts on which director or file
                                                > path it should be pointing to? By default it points to
                                                > /home/ghoti/vendordata a folder which does not exist.

                                                Shouldn't be a problem, the Vendor Data Directory is optional. Have you
                                                tried pointing it to a directory that does exist?
                                                --
                                                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                              • Mike
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 18 7:20 PM