Re: My transition to D&D 4.0 with PCGen

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      > Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one
      > thing I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills
      > are 1 higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving
      > a +5 bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be
      > factored in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key
      > indicator of this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7).
      > I actually just have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as
      > another ABILITY).
      >
      > How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
      > "power swap" ones?)
      >
      > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
      > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
      > head's up before a moderator does.

      It's fine to post the sheets (one of our more lawyerly inclined ninja
      monkeys will scream if otherwise), it's no different to posting up a
      hand written sheet anywhere else on the web (it doesn't give any clue
      as to how the pcgen data set was made).

      What we can't allow is discussion non-ogl specifics or posting of data
      sets etc.

      I don't think anyone has crossed the line, you guys are safely
      discussing generic approaches as opposed to the sort of details that
      anyone could just copy from :).

      Just as a reminder for all on what's OK and what's not:

      (quoted from
      http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Posting_Guidelines)

      "A note on Closed Content/PI

      We respect the Publishers wishes with regards to PI and Closed Content
      and therefore strongly prefer that any discussion of the creation of
      those data sources are held in Generic terms.

      However, we realise that a vast majority of you are asking questions
      on how to code data sets for your own personal use and so we're no
      longer going to growl or wave fingers at people who mention a
      PI/Closed Content reference when asking questions. We will however
      continue to state our responses to those questions in a generic manner
      and hope that you'll do the same.

      We will still not tolerate any PI/Closed Content being uploaded to our
      file areas or any attempts at illegally sharing data sources.
      [edit] Examples

      1. A user asking how to code the Skirmish ability from the Complete
      Adventurer (WotC) will receive a helpful polite answer phrased in
      generic terms, e.g "To implement an Ability that gives 1d6 damage
      every 3 levels you'd want to look to the Rogue sneak attack
      progression in our SRD files". But no more finger waving or growling
      from the Moderators!
      2. A user stating that they want someone to give them a privately
      coded data source for the Complete Adventurer set will be warned etc.
      3. A user uploading the Complete Adventurer data source will be
      warned etc.

      So, for all community members, there's no longer any need to call in
      the Moderator if a PI/Closed Content question is asked. We will step
      in if necessary if someone blatantly abuses this new policy.

      Closed Content/PI is any data source that we don't have permission to
      publish ourselves or isn't OGL/OGC."

      (oh and yes that is the new wiki BTW, just not completed yet)

      PS: I'm very happy to see that individual users are able to code up
      their own datasets and get various other types of game modes workign,
      it's a credit to the project team for making PCGen that flexible and
      credit to you guys for your LST coding skills!

      PPS: Want a job? PCGen will happily take on more volunteers!
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        Not a problem with the Moderators.

        Questions can be asked about non-ogl sources, but we ask that you try
        and answer in a more general manner. Also, no file sharing, nor posting
        to the PCGen lists about file sharing, or where files might be located.
        *That* would bring the wrath of the moderators out!!

        Also, if you need to discuss how to create lst items, please take it to
        pcgenlistfilehlp.

        Thanks

        David
        Papa.DRB
        Moderator

        Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
        My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

        Felonius Stark wrote:
        > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
        > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
        > head's up before a moderator does.
      • thaldorf
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
          > Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one thing
          > I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills are 1
          > higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving a +5
          > bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be factored
          > in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key indicator of
          > this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7). I actually just
          > have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as another ABILITY).

          Well, Nature is a class skill and then trained, it has a +10 total
          from +5 training, +2 ability bonus (WIS = 14) + 2 from half level,
          YEP, you are right, I need to adjust the training bonus to +4 so
          compensate the +1 from rank.

          The way I handled the skills it was just pretty easy, first of all, at
          the level.lst (gamemode) I limited the skill to 1 as maximum level,
          then at the skills.lst I added a +5 bonus if the skill is selected or
          trained.

          > How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
          > "power swap" ones?)

          I am not there yet, but it is just another feat, I do not foresee any
          problem so far. All you have to do is make sure each feat has their
          respective prerequisites.

          > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
          > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
          > head's up before a moderator does.

          As far as I remember, I read that there is no violation of anything if
          I do not share the datasets, since I am doing it myself. I do not see
          any difference with that and using a blank paper then filing
          information by hand.
        • thaldorf
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
            > PS: I'm very happy to see that individual users are able to code up
            > their own datasets and get various other types of game modes workign,
            > it's a credit to the project team for making PCGen that flexible and
            > credit to you guys for your LST coding skills!
            >
            > PPS: Want a job? PCGen will happily take on more volunteers!

            What do you expect? PCGen is an awesome tool, since I am not good
            quitting things, I just made it work my way, even when I do not
            consider myself a competent programmer.

            Btw, I fixed the characters and posted them again, this is a work in
            progress, some mistakes could be found on the way.