Re: My transition to D&D 4.0 with PCGen

  • Felonius Stark
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:

      > > I'd actually recommend creating ability classes, and then using the
      > > SPELLS tag, which would allow you set frequency (Daily, Encounter,
      > > At-will), and then go from there.
      > >

      > I tried the abilities approach but it got messy when printing the the
      > character sheet, in my case making them all casters, was simple
      > convenient at the time of mass data entry, once the first class
      > (Wizard) was finished, the other was just a breeze.

      I would say to still have the Powers in as Spells, but use abilities
      and the "SPELLS" tag to add them. Hopefully I'll have some time to
      get in place what I'm talking about.... If you don't "SAB" anything
      it will still give you the spells output without the messy business of
      having them be Special Abilities.

      At the very least, this will give you a list like the one you have on
      both of those sheets with the "Class Spell like abilities", which has
      the benefit of listing frequency.

      What would be nice is adding the ability to an output sheet to do
      power cards.

      > > I wouldn't actually make the characters spell casters. The details
      > > that being a spell caster would keep track of (caster level, spell
      > > level, spells per day, etc) don't seem to be all that important in the
      > > newer edition. I have it semi working just by adding one to the
      > > appropriate pool at the appropriate levels.
      >
      > Not my case, for me is extremely important to keep track of the powers
      > detail.

      You don't seem to be using anything that it would really matter for
      the spell caster angle. Nothing is actually using the CASTERLEVEL,
      which is (pretty much) the only thing you would gain from doing it
      that way. There are a few cases where powers get better at higher
      levels. For those I would use CL or TL.

      > > I have some stuff that I'm still working on the details of. I'm
      > > probably going to make the SCHOOL of each 'spell' be the class, and
      > > use prohibited classes to get the abilities to work the way I want
      > > them to, but I haven't gotten that far. "real" life sort of crept up
      > > and distracted me from trying to get datasets into PCGen.
      > >
      > I just got inspired last week and started smashing corners, however,
      > there is tons of extra data entry to be done, however, I have 2
      > completed classes (Wizard and Paladin) with their respective finished
      > character sheet output. They look just awesome. I place 2 of them at
      > the home brewed character folder, just in case you want to check it out.

      Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one thing
      I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills are 1
      higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving a +5
      bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be factored
      in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key indicator of
      this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7). I actually just
      have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as another ABILITY).

      How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
      "power swap" ones?)

      We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
      uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
      head's up before a moderator does.
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        > Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one
        > thing I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills
        > are 1 higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving
        > a +5 bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be
        > factored in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key
        > indicator of this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7).
        > I actually just have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as
        > another ABILITY).
        >
        > How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
        > "power swap" ones?)
        >
        > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
        > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
        > head's up before a moderator does.

        It's fine to post the sheets (one of our more lawyerly inclined ninja
        monkeys will scream if otherwise), it's no different to posting up a
        hand written sheet anywhere else on the web (it doesn't give any clue
        as to how the pcgen data set was made).

        What we can't allow is discussion non-ogl specifics or posting of data
        sets etc.

        I don't think anyone has crossed the line, you guys are safely
        discussing generic approaches as opposed to the sort of details that
        anyone could just copy from :).

        Just as a reminder for all on what's OK and what's not:

        (quoted from
        http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Posting_Guidelines)

        "A note on Closed Content/PI

        We respect the Publishers wishes with regards to PI and Closed Content
        and therefore strongly prefer that any discussion of the creation of
        those data sources are held in Generic terms.

        However, we realise that a vast majority of you are asking questions
        on how to code data sets for your own personal use and so we're no
        longer going to growl or wave fingers at people who mention a
        PI/Closed Content reference when asking questions. We will however
        continue to state our responses to those questions in a generic manner
        and hope that you'll do the same.

        We will still not tolerate any PI/Closed Content being uploaded to our
        file areas or any attempts at illegally sharing data sources.
        [edit] Examples

        1. A user asking how to code the Skirmish ability from the Complete
        Adventurer (WotC) will receive a helpful polite answer phrased in
        generic terms, e.g "To implement an Ability that gives 1d6 damage
        every 3 levels you'd want to look to the Rogue sneak attack
        progression in our SRD files". But no more finger waving or growling
        from the Moderators!
        2. A user stating that they want someone to give them a privately
        coded data source for the Complete Adventurer set will be warned etc.
        3. A user uploading the Complete Adventurer data source will be
        warned etc.

        So, for all community members, there's no longer any need to call in
        the Moderator if a PI/Closed Content question is asked. We will step
        in if necessary if someone blatantly abuses this new policy.

        Closed Content/PI is any data source that we don't have permission to
        publish ourselves or isn't OGL/OGC."

        (oh and yes that is the new wiki BTW, just not completed yet)

        PS: I'm very happy to see that individual users are able to code up
        their own datasets and get various other types of game modes workign,
        it's a credit to the project team for making PCGen that flexible and
        credit to you guys for your LST coding skills!

        PPS: Want a job? PCGen will happily take on more volunteers!
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
          Not a problem with the Moderators.

          Questions can be asked about non-ogl sources, but we ask that you try
          and answer in a more general manner. Also, no file sharing, nor posting
          to the PCGen lists about file sharing, or where files might be located.
          *That* would bring the wrath of the moderators out!!

          Also, if you need to discuss how to create lst items, please take it to
          pcgenlistfilehlp.

          Thanks

          David
          Papa.DRB
          Moderator

          Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
          My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

          Felonius Stark wrote:
          > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
          > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
          > head's up before a moderator does.
        • thaldorf
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
            > Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one thing
            > I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills are 1
            > higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving a +5
            > bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be factored
            > in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key indicator of
            > this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7). I actually just
            > have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as another ABILITY).

            Well, Nature is a class skill and then trained, it has a +10 total
            from +5 training, +2 ability bonus (WIS = 14) + 2 from half level,
            YEP, you are right, I need to adjust the training bonus to +4 so
            compensate the +1 from rank.

            The way I handled the skills it was just pretty easy, first of all, at
            the level.lst (gamemode) I limited the skill to 1 as maximum level,
            then at the skills.lst I added a +5 bonus if the skill is selected or
            trained.

            > How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
            > "power swap" ones?)

            I am not there yet, but it is just another feat, I do not foresee any
            problem so far. All you have to do is make sure each feat has their
            respective prerequisites.

            > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
            > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
            > head's up before a moderator does.

            As far as I remember, I read that there is no violation of anything if
            I do not share the datasets, since I am doing it myself. I do not see
            any difference with that and using a blank paper then filing
            information by hand.
          • thaldorf
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
              > PS: I'm very happy to see that individual users are able to code up
              > their own datasets and get various other types of game modes workign,
              > it's a credit to the project team for making PCGen that flexible and
              > credit to you guys for your LST coding skills!
              >
              > PPS: Want a job? PCGen will happily take on more volunteers!

              What do you expect? PCGen is an awesome tool, since I am not good
              quitting things, I just made it work my way, even when I do not
              consider myself a competent programmer.

              Btw, I fixed the characters and posted them again, this is a work in
              progress, some mistakes could be found on the way.