Re: How to Improve Performance

  • Niilo Van Steinburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
      Thanks, wizard_thoarin. This has helped quite a bit. I had previously
      bumped up my allocation to 256 / 512. Doubling that, as per your
      suggestion, has reduced my waiting time enough to make the program
      usable again.

      However, I am still unhappy with the speed of using this program. I
      don't see why switching a tab should take 5 or more seconds. Here are
      my answers to questions Tom Parker asked me in regards to this issue:

      > How many sources are loaded?

      Normally, only the RSRD(?) for D&D 3.5. I've since reduced this to the
      RSRD source that excludes Psionics.

      > Are the sources from CMP or distributed by PCGen?

      I don't know what CMP is. I haven't added any sources to PCGen, if
      that answers the question.

      > How many PCs are open?

      Sometimes one, sometimes a dozen. My general slowness is experienced
      with just one PC open, though I do notice a significant increase in
      that slowness for more than 4 characters.

      > What levels are the PCs?

      Usually from 1st to 3rd level.

      I'm still hesitant to use DMGen again during a playing session. It
      takes a long time to load (I typically do so with 3 or 4 PCs open),
      and it takes a long time to switch tabs.

      Thanks to everyone for your help.

      - Niilo