My transition to D&D 4.0 with PCGen

  • thaldorf
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 30, 2008
      Hello there, first of all this message is intended to inform my
      experience trying to fit a squared box inside a cylindrical hole or in
      other words making PCGen to successfully output DandD 4.0 characters.

      I am not a java guru, however that never stopped me, then I did what I
      always do when starting a new project, try to make it as simple as
      possible.

      I tried the databases, I tested, then fixed it and tested again and
      voila, a single part is working, then another one, and finally, an
      entire character is working, then the next and so on...

      After making it to work, at least for my standards, I think I have a few
      requests for you the Big Kahuna Monkey in chiefs:

      1. I made all my characters spellcasters, then all powers and abilities
      are mostly spells, they work nicely, however, I would love if you add a
      tag for power frequency (at-will, encounter, daily, utility). Since, I
      treated all powers as spells and there is no longer use for schools,
      then I used Schools for power frequency.

      2. It would be nice if I could order the spells in the character sheet
      in any other than spell level.

      3. Another general tag that I would love is one for the healing surges,
      I had to make them as a special ability and had to modify one of the
      output sheets to made them to appear beside the hit points and armor
      class.

      For now I only have the player character classes, and my next project
      will be the monsters and some templates, but that will be later on.

      Any insight about my requests would be appreciated.

      Thanks.

    • John Bauldree
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 30, 2008
        Not sure if this is the list I should be sending this to, but here goes.

        I have several characters that I have in the past printed successfully. however when I update the character it will print, but will only print the top part of page 1 on the first page then continue to the second page to print the rest of page 1 and so on...

        I am getting frustrated with this.

        please help

        John

      • Eric C. Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2008
          Hi Jihn!

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "John Bauldree" <bauldj@...> wrote:

          > Not sure if this is the list I should be sending this to, but here goes.
          >
          > I have several characters that I have in the past printed successfully. however when I
          update the character it will print, but will only print the top part of page 1 on the first page
          then continue to the second page to print the rest of page 1 and so on...

          > I am getting frustrated with this.
          >
          > please help

          We will need some additional information to help! :-)

          What version of PCGen are you using.

          What Datasets do you have loaded.

          What platform are you using.

          Maredudd
        • John Bauldree
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2008
            Versions tried 5.14.0 and 5.15.0 alpha

            Dataset 3.5 RSRD

            windows XP platform

            I think I might have found the problem though.
            after uninstalling 5.14.0 and installing 5.15.0 I noticed / remembered a folder in my windows profile ".pcgen"
            I then uninstalled 5.15.0 and that folder remained. it had 2 .ini files in it filter.ini and options.ini
            I deleted these files and reinstalled 5.15.0 and now my characters print fine

            John

            >>> On 7/30/2008 at 3:15 PM, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

            Hi Jihn!

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "John Bauldree" <bauldj@...> wrote:

            > Not sure if this is the list I should be sending this to, but here goes.
            >
            > I have several characters that I have in the past printed successfully. however when I
            update the character it will print, but will only print the top part of page 1 on the first page
            then continue to the second page to print the rest of page 1 and so on...

            > I am getting frustrated with this.
            >
            > please help

            We will need some additional information to help! :-)

            What version of PCGen are you using.

            What Datasets do you have loaded.

            What platform are you using.

            Maredudd

          • Felonius Stark
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2008
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:

              > Hello there, first of all this message is intended to inform my
              > experience trying to fit a squared box inside a cylindrical hole or in
              > other words making PCGen to successfully output DandD 4.0 characters.
              >
              > I am not a java guru, however that never stopped me, then I did what I
              > always do when starting a new project, try to make it as simple as
              > possible.
              >
              > I tried the databases, I tested, then fixed it and tested again and
              > voila, a single part is working, then another one, and finally, an
              > entire character is working, then the next and so on...
              >
              > After making it to work, at least for my standards, I think I have a few
              > requests for you the Big Kahuna Monkey in chiefs:
              >
              > 1. I made all my characters spellcasters, then all powers and abilities
              > are mostly spells, they work nicely, however, I would love if you add a
              > tag for power frequency (at-will, encounter, daily, utility). Since, I
              > treated all powers as spells and there is no longer use for schools,
              > then I used Schools for power frequency.
              >
              > 2. It would be nice if I could order the spells in the character sheet
              > in any other than spell level.
              >
              > 3. Another general tag that I would love is one for the healing surges,
              > I had to make them as a special ability and had to modify one of the
              > output sheets to made them to appear beside the hit points and armor
              > class.
              >
              > For now I only have the player character classes, and my next project
              > will be the monsters and some templates, but that will be later on.
              >
              > Any insight about my requests would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks.

              I'd actually recommend creating ability classes, and then using the
              SPELLS tag, which would allow you set frequency (Daily, Encounter,
              At-will), and then go from there.

              I wouldn't actually make the characters spell casters. The details
              that being a spell caster would keep track of (caster level, spell
              level, spells per day, etc) don't seem to be all that important in the
              newer edition. I have it semi working just by adding one to the
              appropriate pool at the appropriate levels.

              I have some stuff that I'm still working on the details of. I'm
              probably going to make the SCHOOL of each 'spell' be the class, and
              use prohibited classes to get the abilities to work the way I want
              them to, but I haven't gotten that far. "real" life sort of crept up
              and distracted me from trying to get datasets into PCGen.
            • thaldorf
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2008
                > I'd actually recommend creating ability classes, and then using the
                > SPELLS tag, which would allow you set frequency (Daily, Encounter,
                > At-will), and then go from there.

                I tried the abilities approach but it got messy when printing the the
                character sheet, in my case making them all casters, was simple
                convenient at the time of mass data entry, once the first class
                (Wizard) was finished, the other was just a breeze.

                > I wouldn't actually make the characters spell casters. The details
                > that being a spell caster would keep track of (caster level, spell
                > level, spells per day, etc) don't seem to be all that important in the
                > newer edition. I have it semi working just by adding one to the
                > appropriate pool at the appropriate levels.

                Not my case, for me is extremely important to keep track of the powers
                detail.

                > I have some stuff that I'm still working on the details of. I'm
                > probably going to make the SCHOOL of each 'spell' be the class, and
                > use prohibited classes to get the abilities to work the way I want
                > them to, but I haven't gotten that far. "real" life sort of crept up
                > and distracted me from trying to get datasets into PCGen.

                I just got inspired last week and started smashing corners, however,
                there is tons of extra data entry to be done, however, I have 2
                completed classes (Wizard and Paladin) with their respective finished
                character sheet output. They look just awesome. I place 2 of them at
                the home brewed character folder, just in case you want to check it out.

              • Felonius Stark
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:

                  > > I'd actually recommend creating ability classes, and then using the
                  > > SPELLS tag, which would allow you set frequency (Daily, Encounter,
                  > > At-will), and then go from there.
                  > >

                  > I tried the abilities approach but it got messy when printing the the
                  > character sheet, in my case making them all casters, was simple
                  > convenient at the time of mass data entry, once the first class
                  > (Wizard) was finished, the other was just a breeze.

                  I would say to still have the Powers in as Spells, but use abilities
                  and the "SPELLS" tag to add them. Hopefully I'll have some time to
                  get in place what I'm talking about.... If you don't "SAB" anything
                  it will still give you the spells output without the messy business of
                  having them be Special Abilities.

                  At the very least, this will give you a list like the one you have on
                  both of those sheets with the "Class Spell like abilities", which has
                  the benefit of listing frequency.

                  What would be nice is adding the ability to an output sheet to do
                  power cards.

                  > > I wouldn't actually make the characters spell casters. The details
                  > > that being a spell caster would keep track of (caster level, spell
                  > > level, spells per day, etc) don't seem to be all that important in the
                  > > newer edition. I have it semi working just by adding one to the
                  > > appropriate pool at the appropriate levels.
                  >
                  > Not my case, for me is extremely important to keep track of the powers
                  > detail.

                  You don't seem to be using anything that it would really matter for
                  the spell caster angle. Nothing is actually using the CASTERLEVEL,
                  which is (pretty much) the only thing you would gain from doing it
                  that way. There are a few cases where powers get better at higher
                  levels. For those I would use CL or TL.

                  > > I have some stuff that I'm still working on the details of. I'm
                  > > probably going to make the SCHOOL of each 'spell' be the class, and
                  > > use prohibited classes to get the abilities to work the way I want
                  > > them to, but I haven't gotten that far. "real" life sort of crept up
                  > > and distracted me from trying to get datasets into PCGen.
                  > >
                  > I just got inspired last week and started smashing corners, however,
                  > there is tons of extra data entry to be done, however, I have 2
                  > completed classes (Wizard and Paladin) with their respective finished
                  > character sheet output. They look just awesome. I place 2 of them at
                  > the home brewed character folder, just in case you want to check it out.

                  Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one thing
                  I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills are 1
                  higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving a +5
                  bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be factored
                  in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key indicator of
                  this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7). I actually just
                  have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as another ABILITY).

                  How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
                  "power swap" ones?)

                  We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
                  uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
                  head's up before a moderator does.
                • Martijn Verburg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                    > Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one
                    > thing I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills
                    > are 1 higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving
                    > a +5 bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be
                    > factored in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key
                    > indicator of this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7).
                    > I actually just have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as
                    > another ABILITY).
                    >
                    > How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
                    > "power swap" ones?)
                    >
                    > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
                    > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
                    > head's up before a moderator does.

                    It's fine to post the sheets (one of our more lawyerly inclined ninja
                    monkeys will scream if otherwise), it's no different to posting up a
                    hand written sheet anywhere else on the web (it doesn't give any clue
                    as to how the pcgen data set was made).

                    What we can't allow is discussion non-ogl specifics or posting of data
                    sets etc.

                    I don't think anyone has crossed the line, you guys are safely
                    discussing generic approaches as opposed to the sort of details that
                    anyone could just copy from :).

                    Just as a reminder for all on what's OK and what's not:

                    (quoted from
                    http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Posting_Guidelines)

                    "A note on Closed Content/PI

                    We respect the Publishers wishes with regards to PI and Closed Content
                    and therefore strongly prefer that any discussion of the creation of
                    those data sources are held in Generic terms.

                    However, we realise that a vast majority of you are asking questions
                    on how to code data sets for your own personal use and so we're no
                    longer going to growl or wave fingers at people who mention a
                    PI/Closed Content reference when asking questions. We will however
                    continue to state our responses to those questions in a generic manner
                    and hope that you'll do the same.

                    We will still not tolerate any PI/Closed Content being uploaded to our
                    file areas or any attempts at illegally sharing data sources.
                    [edit] Examples

                    1. A user asking how to code the Skirmish ability from the Complete
                    Adventurer (WotC) will receive a helpful polite answer phrased in
                    generic terms, e.g "To implement an Ability that gives 1d6 damage
                    every 3 levels you'd want to look to the Rogue sneak attack
                    progression in our SRD files". But no more finger waving or growling
                    from the Moderators!
                    2. A user stating that they want someone to give them a privately
                    coded data source for the Complete Adventurer set will be warned etc.
                    3. A user uploading the Complete Adventurer data source will be
                    warned etc.

                    So, for all community members, there's no longer any need to call in
                    the Moderator if a PI/Closed Content question is asked. We will step
                    in if necessary if someone blatantly abuses this new policy.

                    Closed Content/PI is any data source that we don't have permission to
                    publish ourselves or isn't OGL/OGC."

                    (oh and yes that is the new wiki BTW, just not completed yet)

                    PS: I'm very happy to see that individual users are able to code up
                    their own datasets and get various other types of game modes workign,
                    it's a credit to the project team for making PCGen that flexible and
                    credit to you guys for your LST coding skills!

                    PPS: Want a job? PCGen will happily take on more volunteers!
                  • David R. Bender
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Not a problem with the Moderators.

                      Questions can be asked about non-ogl sources, but we ask that you try
                      and answer in a more general manner. Also, no file sharing, nor posting
                      to the PCGen lists about file sharing, or where files might be located.
                      *That* would bring the wrath of the moderators out!!

                      Also, if you need to discuss how to create lst items, please take it to
                      pcgenlistfilehlp.

                      Thanks

                      David
                      Papa.DRB
                      Moderator

                      Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
                      My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                        > Not how I was handling Skills, but that hardly matters. The one thing
                        > I will say is that it looks like all of your trained skills are 1
                        > higher than they should be. I'm assuming that you're giving a +5
                        > bonus to trained skills, and forgetting that 1 Rank will be factored
                        > in, giving you a +6 total. (Nature would be the key indicator of
                        > this... +5 for training and +2 for 1/2 level = +7). I actually just
                        > have skill training adding 5 ranks (I have it as another ABILITY).

                        Well, Nature is a class skill and then trained, it has a +10 total
                        from +5 training, +2 ability bonus (WIS = 14) + 2 from half level,
                        YEP, you are right, I need to adjust the training bonus to +4 so
                        compensate the +1 from rank.

                        The way I handled the skills it was just pretty easy, first of all, at
                        the level.lst (gamemode) I limited the skill to 1 as maximum level,
                        then at the skills.lst I added a +5 bonus if the skill is selected or
                        trained.

                        > How are you handling Multi-Classing feats? (Specifically the later
                        > "power swap" ones?)

                        I am not there yet, but it is just another feat, I do not foresee any
                        problem so far. All you have to do is make sure each feat has their
                        respective prerequisites.

                        > We're getting dangerously close to non-ogl, and the sheets you
                        > uploaded are pretty much completely non-ogl. Just to give you a
                        > head's up before a moderator does.

                        As far as I remember, I read that there is no violation of anything if
                        I do not share the datasets, since I am doing it myself. I do not see
                        any difference with that and using a blank paper then filing
                        information by hand.
                      • thaldorf
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                          > PS: I'm very happy to see that individual users are able to code up
                          > their own datasets and get various other types of game modes workign,
                          > it's a credit to the project team for making PCGen that flexible and
                          > credit to you guys for your LST coding skills!
                          >
                          > PPS: Want a job? PCGen will happily take on more volunteers!

                          What do you expect? PCGen is an awesome tool, since I am not good
                          quitting things, I just made it work my way, even when I do not
                          consider myself a competent programmer.

                          Btw, I fixed the characters and posted them again, this is a work in
                          progress, some mistakes could be found on the way.