Re: [pcgen] Wiki

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 30, 2008
      Hi Andrew,

      On 30/07/2008 10:02 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
      > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:44:13AM +1000, James Dempsey wrote:
      >
      >> 2008/7/30 nuance <andrew@...>
      >>
      >>> Some ****! has set up some fairly heinous restrictions and hoops to jump
      >>> through to create an account on that wiki. Not impressed. At all!
      >>>
      >> That *** was me :)
      >>

      > In that case, I'm glad I censored it.
      >

      >> The place was overrun with spammers so we had to do something to stop them.
      >> I'm open to alternate suggestions.
      >>

      > In my experience spammers lie. Asking them for their real name and
      > making them write a little story probably isn't going to put them off.

      Yes, but the approval is also manual, much like on this list, so we can
      generally tell who is part of the community, who is really a new person
      and who is a spammer. I thought it was very similar to what you needed
      to do to get onto this list.

      > We don't seem to be overrun with spam here. Can't we just restrict
      > membership to an address that's already registered for at least one of
      > our mailing lists. Do we have a list of email addresses subscribed to
      > all our various lists? If we could do that it would simplify the signup
      > and mean that only people involved in the community at some level could
      > edit the wiki.

      It's not a bad idea. However what I dropped in was a pre written module.
      If something similar exists that would integrate the user lists I'd
      definitely check it out. One option under consideration as it has a
      module available is linking the drupal user list (from pcgen-test.org)
      and the wiki user list.

      Cheers,
      James.