Re: [pcgen] Wiki

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 27, 2008
      Barak is probably referring to the main site at www.pcgen-test.org which
      also has accounts but which are apparently separate from the wiki accounts.

      Andrew Maitland scribed:

      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 27, 2008
        Oh, yeah... gotcha... Yup, different user lists... We might be able to
        do something about that... but no promises as of yet. Drupal membership
        levels are different from the wiki membership levels... James would be
        best to ask about that. Two completely different platforms we are
        dealing with ATM.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 27, 2008
          You're a Fire Fighter?

          Barak wrote:
          > Err... where? I signed in as Barak on the main page...
          >
          > Of course, I created that account a long time ago when they fist set up the
          > test site. Could that be why?
          >
          > (sorry it took so long to reply, had a fire call).
          >
          > Barak

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 27, 2008

            Yep, 12 years now as a volunteer.

            They finally got smart and made me an officer a couple of years ago, and now
            I have even less time than I used to. :p

            I'd love to do it full-time professionally, but all the full-time
            departments want 20-25 year olds as new hires, not someone my age, even
            though I have all the state Officer certs and such.

            To keep this vaguely on topic, I've often thought of creating a Modern
            firefighting supplement just for kicks (but see the no time comment
            above...)

            Barak
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 27, 2008
              I love volunteers, they're always helpful when I show up on a scene.

              Modern supplement would be cool.

              Okay, well. I've approved your account so you should be able to edit
              your page(s).

              Barak wrote:
> [...]

            • nuance
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29, 2008
                On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 04:25:29PM -0000, karianna03 wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > We're in the process of moving our Wiki
                > (http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/) as the Sourceforge hosted Wiki is
                > simply too slow (several users and team members can't even get a
                > connection to it). Unfortunately it was not an issue that SF were
                > going to resolve soon so we decided to make the shift.
                >
                > The new Wiki is at http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki

                Some ****! has set up some fairly heinous restrictions and hoops to jump
                through to create an account on that wiki. Not impressed. At all!

                nuance
                --
                **** self censored.
              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Hi Andrew,

                  2008/7/30 nuance <andrew@...>

                  > On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 04:25:29PM -0000, karianna03 wrote:
                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > We're in the process of moving our Wiki
                  > > (http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/) as the Sourceforge hosted Wiki is
                  > > simply too slow (several users and team members can't even get a
                  > > connection to it). Unfortunately it was not an issue that SF were
                  > > going to resolve soon so we decided to make the shift.
                  > >
                  > > The new Wiki is at http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki
                  >
                  > Some ****! has set up some fairly heinous restrictions and hoops to jump
                  > through to create an account on that wiki. Not impressed. At all!

                  That *** was me :)

                  The place was overrun with spammers so we had to do something to stop them.
                  I'm open to alternate suggestions.

                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code SB

                • Andrew Wilson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 29, 2008
                    On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:44:13AM +1000, James Dempsey wrote:
                    > 2008/7/30 nuance <andrew@...>
                    >> Some ****! has set up some fairly heinous restrictions and hoops to jump
                    >> through to create an account on that wiki. Not impressed. At all!
                    >
                    > That *** was me :)

                    In that case, I'm glad I censored it.

                    > The place was overrun with spammers so we had to do something to stop them.
                    > I'm open to alternate suggestions.

                    In my experience spammers lie. Asking them for their real name and
                    making them write a little story probably isn't going to put them off.

                    We don't seem to be overrun with spam here. Can't we just restrict
                    membership to an address that's already registered for at least one of
                    our mailing lists. Do we have a list of email addresses subscribed to
                    all our various lists? If we could do that it would simplify the signup
                    and mean that only people involved in the community at some level could
                    edit the wiki.
                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 30, 2008
                      Hi Andrew,

                      On 30/07/2008 10:02 AM Andrew Wilson wrote
                      > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:44:13AM +1000, James Dempsey wrote:
                      >
                      >> 2008/7/30 nuance <andrew@...>
                      >>
                      >>> Some ****! has set up some fairly heinous restrictions and hoops to jump
                      >>> through to create an account on that wiki. Not impressed. At all!
                      >>>
                      >> That *** was me :)
                      >>

                      > In that case, I'm glad I censored it.
                      >

                      >> The place was overrun with spammers so we had to do something to stop them.
                      >> I'm open to alternate suggestions.
                      >>

                      > In my experience spammers lie. Asking them for their real name and
                      > making them write a little story probably isn't going to put them off.

                      Yes, but the approval is also manual, much like on this list, so we can
                      generally tell who is part of the community, who is really a new person
                      and who is a spammer. I thought it was very similar to what you needed
                      to do to get onto this list.

                      > We don't seem to be overrun with spam here. Can't we just restrict
                      > membership to an address that's already registered for at least one of
                      > our mailing lists. Do we have a list of email addresses subscribed to
                      > all our various lists? If we could do that it would simplify the signup
                      > and mean that only people involved in the community at some level could
                      > edit the wiki.

                      It's not a bad idea. However what I dropped in was a pre written module.
                      If something similar exists that would integrate the user lists I'd
                      definitely check it out. One option under consideration as it has a
                      module available is linking the drupal user list (from pcgen-test.org)
                      and the wiki user list.

                      Cheers,
                      James.