[CODE] Re: File storage in Vista

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2008
      No problem. This Vista computer is not my main PcGen computer
      (that's on my XP laptop) so I can uninstall/reinstall/delete the
      folder/whatever as many times as necesary to help work out the
      installer solution.

      We may as well test with the full install unless there is a good
      reason not to. I know I hate testing anything that isn't the real
      thing in my line of work...things sometimes work perfectly in a small
      test bed and then not so great when you really put them live.

      Contact me via direct email or via AIM on user "xentax" if I don't
      seem to be replying to emails...sometimes I'm bad at remembering to
      check my email...

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      > HI Mike,
      >
      > Thanks for tracking that down!
      >
      > I've had a look at the docs for our installer (NSIS) and it looks
      like we
      > can incorporate the fix without too much trouble. The 5.14.1
      release due out
      > in the next day or so will still include the old installer, however
      I'll
> [...]
      installers
      > (probably vastly cut down in size) to make sure everything is
      working.

      > --
      > Cheers,
      > James Dempsey
      > PCGen Code SB
      >
      > 2008/7/17 Mike <dirksj@...>:
      >
      > > Solution:
      > >
      > > By comparing privledges to other program files folders that had no
      > > issues here is the setting UAC wants on the folders/files:
      > > Properties->Security->Advanced
      > > Permissions tab, edit
      > > Users, edit
      > > Grant full control
      > > Ok a million times
      > >
      > > Basically the default install does not grant full control to the
      > > Users group and all file operations in the Program Files
      > > folder/subfolders are done as if you were a User even if one is
      > > logged in with Admin rights (as I am).
      > >
      > > Any isntaller fix will require the installer to be run from an
      admin
      > > account (or to verify admin permisions) when it runs. Exactly
      how to
      > > interact with Vista to install with the folder having these
      > > permissions without popping up UAC confirmations I don't
      know...but I
      > > do know it's possible. WoW and AoC and other programs never UAC-
      > > complained at me during install and ended up with these settings.
      > >
      > > *** This also solved the Virtual Store issue. ***
      > >
      > > I deleted the Virtual Store and created a new character. Instead
      of
      > > creating a new Virtual Store it correctly just saved to the main
      > > folder.
      > >
      > > This creates an interesting upgrade scenario though. When
      someone
      > > installs a new version that fixes these permissions they will
      still
      > > have to go to the Virtual Store to find their old stuff :).
      > >

      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dirksj@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I believe this is part of the User Account Control "feature" in
      > > Vista
      > > > that a lot of people turn off (though I left it on, perhaps I
      am a
      > > > masochist).
      > > >
      > > > It's on by default and there is some way of telling Vista to not
      > > > protect folders so...hopefully it's an easy fix in the
      installer to
      > > > flag the folder non-protected.
      > > >
      > > > I have encountered this with various games, not being able to
      edit
      > > > anything in the program files folders without getting admin
      > > > warnings. On the flip side the WoW interface folders and the
      > > > Age of Conan custmoized UI folders don't complain in the least
      when
      > > > mess around with anything.
      > > >
      > > > So it's definitly solvable.
      > > >
      > > > From what I was able to dig around through the web and microsoft
      > > > technet it's some ACL setting or other that gets around UAC.
      The
      > > > doc's I read suggested that this was the Virtual Store cause as
      > > > well. Apparently the program itself also doesn't have rights to
      > > it's
      > > > own folder unless it's set up that way :).
      > > >
      > > > If you want me to look anything up on my system or try anything
      as
      > > > solutions let me know via private email as I may not check this
      > > list
      > > > often.

      > > > this
      > > an