RE: [pcgen] Re: GMGen Set your Enemy

  • Neil Phillips
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
      Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who is
      fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
      remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember the
      last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?

      Neil

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
        Hi Neil,

        Did you have a preference for how you to display this? I'm not familiar with
        the screen, so would be happy to take suggestions on how it might be
        accomplished.

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
          I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
          suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took you off
          to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select from drop
          down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large numbers of
          entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to display
          the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at the
          bottom of the page.

          <mailto:neil.phillips08%40o2.co.uk> >:

          > Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who
          > is
          > fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
          > remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember
          > the
          > last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?
          >
          > Neil
          >

          > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com<pcgen%2540yahoogroups.com>>
          > , "Neil
          > Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yes please.
          > >
          > > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
          > > guys vs many different bad guys.
          > >
          > > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
          > > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
          > >
          > > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
          > prior to
          > > combat would be great for larger battles.
          > >
          > > Neil
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
          > that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
          > the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
          > up-front config to do).
          >
          > Migar
          > (one of the few other GM Gen users)

        • ovka
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>

            >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
            >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
            >you off
            >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
            from
            >drop
            >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
            >numbers of
            >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
            >display
            >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
            the
            >bottom of the page.

            How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
            C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
            etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
            character attacked might be the easiest solution.

            Cheers,

            Sir George Anonymous
          • cofoghlu
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
              > >
              > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
              > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
              > >you off
              > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
              > from
              > >drop
              > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
              > >numbers of
              > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
              > >display
              > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
              > the
              > >bottom of the page.
              >
              > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
              > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
              > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
              > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Sir George Anonymous

              Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
              transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
              into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
              be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
              also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
              the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)
            • Neil Phillips
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                The situation you described would be straight forward to display, a list of
                combat pairs would do it nicely.

                I prefer the harder method mainly because you can get to see a
                representation of the up coming fight before you start it. These are just my
                thoughts that I fancied to share.

                Neil

                > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                > >you off
                > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                > from
                > >drop
                > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                > >numbers of
                > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                > >display
                > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                > the
                > >bottom of the page.
                >
                > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Sir George Anonymous

                Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

              • Terry FitzSimons
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                  On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:03:05 -0000, "cofoghlu" <cofoghlu@...> wrote:

                  >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                  >> >
                  >> >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                  >> >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                  >> >you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                  >> >from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                  >> >numbers of entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                  >> >display the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                  >> >the bottom of the page.
                  >>
                  >> How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                  >> C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                  >> etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                  >> character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                  >>
                  >> Cheers,
                  >>
                  >> Sir George Anonymous
                  >
                  >Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                  >transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                  >into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                  >be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                  >also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                  >the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                  How about three columns and some check boxes? Column A is the PC's, Column
                  B is the enemy Drop list, Column C is Column B's PC targets. Check boxes
                  for the usual things to be noted.
                  --

                  Terry FitzSimons
                  FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                  Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                • Andrew Wilson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:59:53PM -0000, ovka wrote:
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                    >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                    >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                    >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                    >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                    >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                    >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                    >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                    >
                    > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                    > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                    > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                    > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                    The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                    program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                    as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                    sortable by either end

                    A -> B
                    B -> C
                    C -> A
                    D -> A
                    E -> B
                    F -> E
                    G -> A

                    C -> A
                    D -> A
                    G -> A
                    A -> B
                    E -> B
                    B -> C
                    F -> E

                    andrew
                    --
                    Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                    You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 19, 2008
                      Sounds sensible. I personally would like the option to set up the fight
                      before it begins, thus being able to double check I had the pairs correct.
                      Obviously there would need to be the ability to change the action as rounds
                      proceed, especially once someone, PC or enemy dies.

                      Neil

                      On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:59:53PM -0000, ovka wrote:
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com> , "Neil
                      Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                      >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                      >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                      >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                      >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                      >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                      >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                      >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                      >
                      > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                      > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                      > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                      > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                      The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                      program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                      as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                      sortable by either end

                      A -> B
                      B -> C
                      C -> A
                      D -> A
                      E -> B
                      F -> E
                      G -> A

                      C -> A
                      D -> A
                      G -> A
                      A -> B
                      E -> B
                      B -> C
                      F -> E

                      andrew
                      --
                      Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                      You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                      high-tech sunglasses that make you feel like a complete man.

                    • Martijn Verburg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                        Bump, did this get trackered?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                          Nope, so I've trackered it as a plugin freq - K

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                            And thanks again.