Re: GMGen Set your Enemy

  • cofoghlu
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:

      > Yes please.
      >
      > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
      > guys vs many different bad guys.
      >
      > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
      > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
      >
      > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
      prior to
      > combat would be great for larger battles.
      >
      > Neil

      Hi,

      Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
      that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
      the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
      up-front config to do).

      Migar
      (one of the few other GM Gen users)
    • Neil Phillips
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
        Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who is
        fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
        remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember the
        last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?

        Neil

        > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
        > guys vs many different bad guys.
        >
        > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
        > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
        >
        > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
        prior to
        > combat would be great for larger battles.
        >
        > Neil

        Hi,

        Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
        that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
        the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
        up-front config to do).

        Migar
        (one of the few other GM Gen users)

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
          Hi Neil,

          Did you have a preference for how you to display this? I'm not familiar with
          the screen, so would be happy to take suggestions on how it might be
          accomplished.

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
            I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
            suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took you off
            to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select from drop
            down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large numbers of
            entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to display
            the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at the
            bottom of the page.

            <mailto:neil.phillips08%40o2.co.uk> >:

            > Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who
            > is
            > fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
            > remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember
            > the
            > last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?
            >
            > Neil
            >

            > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com<pcgen%2540yahoogroups.com>>
            > , "Neil
            > Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yes please.
            > >
            > > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
            > > guys vs many different bad guys.
            > >
            > > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
            > > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
            > >
            > > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
            > prior to
            > > combat would be great for larger battles.
            > >
            > > Neil
            >
            > Hi,
            >
            > Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
            > that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
            > the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
            > up-front config to do).
            >
            > Migar
            > (one of the few other GM Gen users)

          • ovka
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>

              >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
              >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
              >you off
              >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
              from
              >drop
              >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
              >numbers of
              >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
              >display
              >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
              the
              >bottom of the page.

              How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
              C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
              etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
              character attacked might be the easiest solution.

              Cheers,

              Sir George Anonymous
            • cofoghlu
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                > >
                > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                > >you off
                > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                > from
                > >drop
                > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                > >numbers of
                > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                > >display
                > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                > the
                > >bottom of the page.
                >
                > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Sir George Anonymous

                Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)
              • Neil Phillips
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                  The situation you described would be straight forward to display, a list of
                  combat pairs would do it nicely.

                  I prefer the harder method mainly because you can get to see a
                  representation of the up coming fight before you start it. These are just my
                  thoughts that I fancied to share.

                  Neil

                  > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                  > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                  > >you off
                  > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                  > from
                  > >drop
                  > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                  > >numbers of
                  > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                  > >display
                  > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                  > the
                  > >bottom of the page.
                  >
                  > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                  > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                  > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                  > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Sir George Anonymous

                  Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                  transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                  into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                  be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                  also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                  the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                • Terry FitzSimons
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:03:05 -0000, "cofoghlu" <cofoghlu@...> wrote:

                    >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                    >> >
                    >> >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                    >> >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                    >> >you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                    >> >from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                    >> >numbers of entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                    >> >display the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                    >> >the bottom of the page.
                    >>
                    >> How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                    >> C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                    >> etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                    >> character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >>
                    >> Sir George Anonymous
                    >
                    >Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                    >transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                    >into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                    >be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                    >also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                    >the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                    How about three columns and some check boxes? Column A is the PC's, Column
                    B is the enemy Drop list, Column C is Column B's PC targets. Check boxes
                    for the usual things to be noted.
                    --

                    Terry FitzSimons
                    FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                    Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                  • Andrew Wilson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                      On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:59:53PM -0000, ovka wrote:
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                      >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                      >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                      >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                      >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                      >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                      >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                      >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                      >
                      > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                      > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                      > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                      > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                      The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                      program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                      as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                      sortable by either end

                      A -> B
                      B -> C
                      C -> A
                      D -> A
                      E -> B
                      F -> E
                      G -> A

                      C -> A
                      D -> A
                      G -> A
                      A -> B
                      E -> B
                      B -> C
                      F -> E

                      andrew
                      --
                      Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                      You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 19, 2008
                        Sounds sensible. I personally would like the option to set up the fight
                        before it begins, thus being able to double check I had the pairs correct.
                        Obviously there would need to be the ability to change the action as rounds
                        proceed, especially once someone, PC or enemy dies.

                        Neil

                        Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                        >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                        >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                        >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                        >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                        >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                        >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                        >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                        >
                        > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                        > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                        > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                        > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                        The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                        program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                        as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                        sortable by either end

                        A -> B
                        B -> C
                        C -> A
                        D -> A
                        E -> B
                        F -> E
                        G -> A

                        C -> A
                        D -> A
                        G -> A
                        A -> B
                        E -> B
                        B -> C
                        F -> E

                        andrew
                        --
                        Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                        You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                        high-tech sunglasses that make you feel like a complete man.

                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                          Bump, did this get trackered?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                            Nope, so I've trackered it as a plugin freq - K

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                              And thanks again.