RE: [pcgen] GMGen Set your Enemy

  • Neil Phillips
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
      Yes please.

      I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
      guys vs many different bad guys.

      At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
      finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.

      Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E prior to
      combat would be great for larger battles.

      Neil

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:

        > Yes please.
        >
        > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
        > guys vs many different bad guys.
        >
        > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
        > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
        >
        > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
        prior to
        > combat would be great for larger battles.
        >
        > Neil

        Hi,

        Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
        that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
        the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
        up-front config to do).

        Migar
        (one of the few other GM Gen users)
      • Neil Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
          Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who is
          fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
          remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember the
          last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?

          Neil

          > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
          > guys vs many different bad guys.
          >
          > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
          > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
          >
          > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
          prior to
          > combat would be great for larger battles.
          >
          > Neil

          Hi,

          Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
          that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
          the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
          up-front config to do).

          Migar
          (one of the few other GM Gen users)

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
            Hi Neil,

            Did you have a preference for how you to display this? I'm not familiar with
            the screen, so would be happy to take suggestions on how it might be
            accomplished.

            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code SB

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
              I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
              suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took you off
              to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select from drop
              down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large numbers of
              entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to display
              the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at the
              bottom of the page.

              <mailto:neil.phillips08%40o2.co.uk> >:

              > Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who
              > is
              > fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
              > remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember
              > the
              > last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?
              >
              > Neil
              >

              > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
              <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com<pcgen%2540yahoogroups.com>>
              > , "Neil
              > Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes please.
              > >
              > > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
              > > guys vs many different bad guys.
              > >
              > > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
              > > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
              > >
              > > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
              > prior to
              > > combat would be great for larger battles.
              > >
              > > Neil
              >
              > Hi,
              >
              > Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
              > that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
              > the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
              > up-front config to do).
              >
              > Migar
              > (one of the few other GM Gen users)

            • ovka
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>

                >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                >you off
                >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                from
                >drop
                >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                >numbers of
                >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                >display
                >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                the
                >bottom of the page.

                How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                Cheers,

                Sir George Anonymous
              • cofoghlu
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                  > >
                  > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                  > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                  > >you off
                  > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                  > from
                  > >drop
                  > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                  > >numbers of
                  > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                  > >display
                  > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                  > the
                  > >bottom of the page.
                  >
                  > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                  > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                  > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                  > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Sir George Anonymous

                  Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                  transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                  into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                  be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                  also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                  the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)
                • Neil Phillips
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                    The situation you described would be straight forward to display, a list of
                    combat pairs would do it nicely.

                    I prefer the harder method mainly because you can get to see a
                    representation of the up coming fight before you start it. These are just my
                    thoughts that I fancied to share.

                    Neil

                    > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                    > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                    > >you off
                    > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                    > from
                    > >drop
                    > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                    > >numbers of
                    > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                    > >display
                    > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                    > the
                    > >bottom of the page.
                    >
                    > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                    > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                    > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                    > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Sir George Anonymous

                    Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                    transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                    into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                    be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                    also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                    the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                  • Terry FitzSimons
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                      On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:03:05 -0000, "cofoghlu" <cofoghlu@...> wrote:

                      >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                      >> >
                      >> >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                      >> >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                      >> >you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                      >> >from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                      >> >numbers of entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                      >> >display the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                      >> >the bottom of the page.
                      >>
                      >> How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                      >> C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                      >> etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                      >> character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                      >>
                      >> Cheers,
                      >>
                      >> Sir George Anonymous
                      >
                      >Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                      >transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                      >into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                      >be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                      >also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                      >the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                      How about three columns and some check boxes? Column A is the PC's, Column
                      B is the enemy Drop list, Column C is Column B's PC targets. Check boxes
                      for the usual things to be noted.
                      --

                      Terry FitzSimons
                      FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                      Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                    • Andrew Wilson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                        On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:59:53PM -0000, ovka wrote:
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                        >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                        >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                        >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                        >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                        >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                        >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                        >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                        >
                        > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                        > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                        > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                        > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                        The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                        program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                        as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                        sortable by either end

                        A -> B
                        B -> C
                        C -> A
                        D -> A
                        E -> B
                        F -> E
                        G -> A

                        C -> A
                        D -> A
                        G -> A
                        A -> B
                        E -> B
                        B -> C
                        F -> E

                        andrew
                        --
                        Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                        You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 19, 2008
                          Sounds sensible. I personally would like the option to set up the fight
                          before it begins, thus being able to double check I had the pairs correct.
                          Obviously there would need to be the ability to change the action as rounds
                          proceed, especially once someone, PC or enemy dies.

                          Neil

                          Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                          >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                          >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                          >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                          >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                          >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                          >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                          >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                          >
                          > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                          > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                          > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                          > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                          The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                          program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                          as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                          sortable by either end

                          A -> B
                          B -> C
                          C -> A
                          D -> A
                          E -> B
                          F -> E
                          G -> A

                          C -> A
                          D -> A
                          G -> A
                          A -> B
                          E -> B
                          B -> C
                          F -> E

                          andrew
                          --
                          Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                          You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                          high-tech sunglasses that make you feel like a complete man.

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                            Bump, did this get trackered?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                              Nope, so I've trackered it as a plugin freq - K

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                                And thanks again.