GMGen Set your Enemy

  • Neil Phillips
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2008
      Hi, Just started to play around with GMGen and I wondered is there a way of
      assigning players specific enemies?

      At present I get a pull down list of possible targets, however it does not
      remember whom I said was attacking whom.

      Neil

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
        Not that I'm aware of, but then again I don't use the GMGen side... But
        that sounds like a nice FREQ. Are you interested in something like that
        being in the program?

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Neil Phillips wrote:
        > Hi, Just started to play around with GMGen and I wondered is there a way of
        > assigning players specific enemies?
        >
        > At present I get a pull down list of possible targets, however it does not
        > remember whom I said was attacking whom.
        >
        > Neil

      • Neil Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
          Yes please.

          I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
          guys vs many different bad guys.

          At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
          finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.

          Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E prior to
          combat would be great for larger battles.

          Neil Phillips wrote:
          > Hi, Just started to play around with GMGen and I wondered is there a way
          of
          > assigning players specific enemies?
          >
          > At present I get a pull down list of possible targets, however it does not
          > remember whom I said was attacking whom.
          >
          > Neil

        • cofoghlu
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:

            > Yes please.
            >
            > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
            > guys vs many different bad guys.
            >
            > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
            > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
            >
            > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
            prior to
            > combat would be great for larger battles.
            >
            > Neil

            Hi,

            Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
            that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
            the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
            up-front config to do).

            Migar
            (one of the few other GM Gen users)
          • Neil Phillips
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
              Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who is
              fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
              remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember the
              last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?

              Neil

              > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
              > guys vs many different bad guys.
              >
              > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
              > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
              >
              > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
              prior to
              > combat would be great for larger battles.
              >
              > Neil

              Hi,

              Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
              that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
              the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
              up-front config to do).

              Migar
              (one of the few other GM Gen users)

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
                Hi Neil,

                Did you have a preference for how you to display this? I'm not familiar with
                the screen, so would be happy to take suggestions on how it might be
                accomplished.

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 14, 2008
                  I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                  suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took you off
                  to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select from drop
                  down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large numbers of
                  entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to display
                  the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at the
                  bottom of the page.

                  <mailto:neil.phillips08%40o2.co.uk> >:

                  > Simpler yes. More desirable, questionable. A visual representation of who
                  > is
                  > fighting whom would be idea. As an interim measure I would accept
                  > remembering last target. However if code is going to be used to remember
                  > the
                  > last target surely similar code can be used to display the situation?
                  >
                  > Neil
                  >

                  > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com<pcgen%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                  > , "Neil
                  > Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes please.
                  > >
                  > > I was considering using GMGen to help handle a battle with multiple good
                  > > guys vs many different bad guys.
                  > >
                  > > At present I have to assign a target for each fight, then when the round
                  > > finishes and we go again re-allocate targets.
                  > >
                  > > Some way of designating A attacks B, C attacks A and D attacks E
                  > prior to
                  > > combat would be great for larger battles.
                  > >
                  > > Neil
                  >
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Would it be simpler for GM Gen just to remember the last combatant
                  > that a particular char tried to hit and have that be the default in
                  > the drop-down for target the next time? (Rather than having some
                  > up-front config to do).
                  >
                  > Migar
                  > (one of the few other GM Gen users)

                • ovka
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>

                    >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                    >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                    >you off
                    >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                    from
                    >drop
                    >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                    >numbers of
                    >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                    >display
                    >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                    the
                    >bottom of the page.

                    How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                    C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                    etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                    character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                    Cheers,

                    Sir George Anonymous
                  • cofoghlu
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                      > >
                      > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                      > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                      > >you off
                      > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                      > from
                      > >drop
                      > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                      > >numbers of
                      > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                      > >display
                      > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                      > the
                      > >bottom of the page.
                      >
                      > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                      > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                      > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                      > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Sir George Anonymous

                      Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                      transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                      into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                      be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                      also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                      the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)
                    • Neil Phillips
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                        The situation you described would be straight forward to display, a list of
                        combat pairs would do it nicely.

                        I prefer the harder method mainly because you can get to see a
                        representation of the up coming fight before you start it. These are just my
                        thoughts that I fancied to share.

                        Neil

                        > >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                        > >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                        > >you off
                        > >to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                        > from
                        > >drop
                        > >down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                        > >numbers of
                        > >entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                        > >display
                        > >the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                        > the
                        > >bottom of the page.
                        >
                        > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                        > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                        > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                        > character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Sir George Anonymous

                        Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                        transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                        into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                        be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                        also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                        the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                      • Terry FitzSimons
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                          On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:03:05 -0000, "cofoghlu" <cofoghlu@...> wrote:

                          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@>
                          >> >
                          >> >I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                          >> >suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                          >> >you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could select
                          >> >from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for really large
                          >> >numbers of entities to be catered for. A less encompassing method would be to
                          >> >display the fighting pairs as a third section of the initiative window, at
                          >> >the bottom of the page.
                          >>
                          >> How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                          >> C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                          >> etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                          >> character attacked might be the easiest solution.
                          >>
                          >> Cheers,
                          >>
                          >> Sir George Anonymous
                          >
                          >Yep, flanking and other sneaky tactics cause "fighting pairs" to be
                          >transient at best in most of my group's combats. And let's not get
                          >into "Marking" ;) That would cause a hold load of new issues. It would
                          >be great for it to default to the last attacked person though. And
                          >also for the dropdown of potential people to attack be sorted so that
                          >the enemies see chars first and the chars see enemies first :)

                          How about three columns and some check boxes? Column A is the PC's, Column
                          B is the enemy Drop list, Column C is Column B's PC targets. Check boxes
                          for the usual things to be noted.
                          --

                          Terry FitzSimons
                          FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                          Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                        • Andrew Wilson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 18, 2008
                            On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 01:59:53PM -0000, ovka wrote:
                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                            >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                            >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                            >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                            >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                            >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                            >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                            >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                            >
                            > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                            > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                            > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                            > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                            The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                            program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                            as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                            sortable by either end

                            A -> B
                            B -> C
                            C -> A
                            D -> A
                            E -> B
                            F -> E
                            G -> A

                            C -> A
                            D -> A
                            G -> A
                            A -> B
                            E -> B
                            B -> C
                            F -> E

                            andrew
                            --
                            Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                            You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 19, 2008
                              Sounds sensible. I personally would like the option to set up the fight
                              before it begins, thus being able to double check I had the pairs correct.
                              Obviously there would need to be the ability to change the action as rounds
                              proceed, especially once someone, PC or enemy dies.

                              Neil

                              Phillips" <neil.phillips08@...>
                              >> I had not given any thought previously as to layout, but here goes. I
                              >> suppose the ideal would be a button on the initiative page that took
                              >> you off to another page with a list of combatants. There you could
                              >> select from drop down lists of possible targets. This would allow for
                              >> really large numbers of entities to be catered for. A less
                              >> encompassing method would be to display the fighting pairs as a third
                              >> section of the initiative window, at the bottom of the page.
                              >
                              > How would you display a chaotic situation like A attacks B, B attacks
                              > C, C attacks A, D attacks A, E attacks B, F attacks E, G attacks A,
                              > etc.? I would suggest that remembering the last combatant each
                              > character attacked might be the easiest solution.

                              The "fighting pairs" is "remembering the last combatant". If the
                              program dcoes remember the last combatant attacked it could display this
                              as x -> y list, it would have one entry for each combatant. Preferably
                              sortable by either end

                              A -> B
                              B -> C
                              C -> A
                              D -> A
                              E -> B
                              F -> E
                              G -> A

                              C -> A
                              D -> A
                              G -> A
                              A -> B
                              E -> B
                              B -> C
                              F -> E

                              andrew
                              --
                              Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
                              You will soon discover the only brand of stylish, functional,
                              high-tech sunglasses that make you feel like a complete man.

                            • Martijn Verburg
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                                Bump, did this get trackered?

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                                  Nope, so I've trackered it as a plugin freq - K

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                                    And thanks again.