Re: [pcgen] generic question on tag placement

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
      Best practice is to put the define tag where the first reference is
      made. In official sets we make, the define is placed in the actual
      ability/feat file. The BONUS:VAR can be placed any where (But common
      usage is where it makes the most sense to work).

      AbilityName <> SAB:Blah %|DefinedVarName <> DEFINE:DefinedVarName|0
      Is how you'll normally see it, then you would place either the
      BONUS:VAR|DefinedVarName|1 or CL or whatever formula on a class level
      line, or even in the same ability if it isn't class specific.

      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      Sam Elmore wrote:
      > Hello!
      >
      > I've got a generic question on a tag placement that is confusing me...
      >
      > when setting up a new ability where does the DEFINE tag go? In the
      > Ability lst file, the ability category lst file or in the class lst
      > file in the level progression area? I think this is where a lot of my
      > confusion is coming from...I'm not sure exactly where some of these
      > tags can/should be used so I'm putting them in the wrong area...
      >
      > Sam

    • braspallo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
        Andrew, thanks for the help.... I am using PC Gen 5.12

        The FEAT idea worked for Mettle....

        However,still trying to figure out the DAMAGE REDUCTION issue.

        I hate to admit it, but I know nothing of coding. A true NEWB...

        I tried your ways... probably wrong... and kept getting a messy
        version that would show all the lists of DR... was hoping that it
        would only show the incremental changes when each level is attained, or:

        1/- at 3rd level
        2/- at 7th level
        3/- at 10th level

        Again thank you for your help already... if you could break it down
        (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help

        Thanks,
        Brian

        > In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
        known. Which version are you currently using?

        > If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
        in an ability file.
        > If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
        >
        > Either way in your custom class place the
        > AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
        > OR
        > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
        >
        > on your class level line.
        >
        > AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
        judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
        tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
        place your blurb on an SAB tag.

        > For #2
        > 3 <tab> DR:1/-
        > 7 <tab> DR:2/-
        > 10 <tab> DR:3/-
        >
        > That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
        technique then we would use variables..

        BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
        > 7 <tab> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
        > 10 <tab> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
        >
        > but even that is simplistic in nature.
        > I highly recommend using a proper editor and do that by hand.
        >
        > NOTE: <tab> denotes an actual TAB using the TAB key. no spaces
        before or after.

        > Read the docs. And feel free to ask clarifying questions. Oh, and
        letting people know which version you are coding too will help you get
        the correct solution.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
          Okay, try this
          On the class level line use DR:1/-
          on the next level increment use
          BONUS:DR|-|1
          on the next level line
          BONUS:DR|-|1

          So it will look like this
          3 <> DR:1/-
          7 <> BONUS:DR|-|1
          10 <> BONUS:DR|-|1

          OR, if that isn't working make another Feat or Ability
          Place all those tags in the feat/ability
          MyDrAbility
          VISIBLE:NO
          TYPE:Class
          DR:1/-
          BONUS:DR|-|1|PRECLASS:1,YourClassName=7
          BONUS:DR|-|1|PRECLASS:1,YourClassName=10

          Change the YourClassName to what you really call your class.
          Then make sure you do AUTO:FEAT|MyDrAbility OR the appropriate ABILITY tag call.

          Trust me, after awhile these things do get easier.

          -Andrew (At work and can't wait to go home)

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:

          > In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
          known. Which version are you currently using?

          > If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
          in an ability file.
          > If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
          >
          > Either way in your custom class place the
          > AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
          > OR
          > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
          >
          > on your class level line.
          >
          > AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
          judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
          tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
          place your blurb on an SAB tag.

          > For #2
          > 3 DR:1/-
          > 7 DR:2/-
          > 10 DR:3/-
          >
          > That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
          technique then we would use variables..

          > 3 DR:VariableName/- DEFINE:VariableName|0
          BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
            Either I am doing nothing right... or am just brain dead.

            In either Case, I will clarify my problem (hopefully). I am using
            version 5.12 to do this

            Here's what I need, or am trying to do:

            Smite (1/day at 2nd level, 2/day at 6th level, 3/day at 10th level)

            Damage Reduction (1/- at 3rd Level, 2/- at 7th level)

            I have pretty much gotten everything else squared away for the
            Prestige Class I am trying to create (I copied the Paladin class and
            modified what I needed to make up the Character Class)

            The above aspects (Damage Reduction and Smite) are what is killing
            me... as I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set them up in
            the LST editor.

            Do I attempt under the LEVELS tab or the ADVANCED tab?
            If so... which? And how?

            I do not know anything about coding (REALLY... nothing) so breaking it
            down for... well, moron.. might be the only way I can ask.

            Please help... and thank you to all who try,
            Brian

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
              Okay,

              I'll make it easier in one aspect and more complicated in another... but
              it should work as you expect.

              I'm assuming you're using the in-built lst editor, I'm not used to it
              and don't normally bother. So, if this doesn't work out then I recommend
              doing it by hand in a real text editor.

              In your Class File: (Each line is a TAB)
              2
              AUTO:FEAT|Smite
              -New Line
              2
              BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
              -New Line
              6
              BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
              -New Line
              10
              BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
              -New Line
              3
              AUTO:FEAT|Damage Reduction All
              -New Line
              7
              BONUS:VAR|MyDamageRedBonus|1

              New FEAT

              Damage Reduction All
              TYPE:SpecialQuality
              VISIBLE:NO
              DR:1/-
              BONUS:DR|-|1|PREVAREQ:MyDamageRedBonus,1
              BONUS:DR|-|2|PREVAREQ:MyDamageRedBonus,2
              DEFINE:VAR|MyDamageRedBonus|0

              Smite already exists as a feat in the 5.12 model, so you're not needing
              to make a new feat.

              braspallo wrote:
> [...]
              >> (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help
              >>

              >> Thanks,
              >> Brian
              >>

              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:
              >>
              >>> In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
              >>>
              >> known. Which version are you currently using?
              >>
              >>> If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
              >>>
              >> in an ability file.
              >>
              >>> If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
              >>>
              >>> Either way in your custom class place the
              >>> AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
              >>> OR
              >>> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
              >>>
              >>> on your class level line.
              >>>
              >>> AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
              >>>
              >> judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
              >> tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd

              >>> 7 DR:2/-
              >>> 10 DR:3/-
              >>>
              >>> That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
              >>>
              >> technique then we would use variables..
              >>
              >>> 3 DR:VariableName/- DEFINE:VariableName|0
              >>>
              >> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
              >>
              >>> 7 BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
              >>> 10 BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
              >>>
              >>> but even that is simplistic in nature.
              >>> I highly recommend using a proper editor and do that by hand.
              >>>
              >>> NOTE: denotes an actual TAB using the TAB key. no spaces
              >>>
              >> before or after.
              >>
              >>> Read the docs. And feel free to ask clarifying questions. Oh, and
              >>>
              >> letting people know which version you are coding too will help you get
              >> the correct solution.
              >>
              >>> Good luck
              >>> -Andrew (Admin SB)
              >>>
              >>> braspallo
              >>>
              >> wrote:
              >>
              >>> A rookie here trying how to get a couple items into a CUSTOM
              >>> CHARACTER. I am trying to add a Supernatural ability (much like
              >>> Evasion) for the 1st level of the character.
              >>>
              >>> 1.
              >>> The Supernatural ability is called "Mettle".... it allows a WILL or
              >>> FORTITUDE save in order to take no damage from a spell effect that
              >>> would allow for a reduction of the spell effect (IE; "Will Partial",
              >>> "Fortitude Partial" and similar.
              >>>
              >>> How do I add that into the custom character?
              >>>
              >>> 2.
              >>> The character class also allows for Damage Reduction:
              >>>

              >>> 1/- (at 3rd Level)
              >>> 2/- (at 7th level)
              >>> 3/- (at 10th level)
              >>>
              >>> How do I add that into the custom character?
              >>>

              >>> Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

              >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
              >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
              >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

              >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

              >> ------------------------------------
              >>
              >> PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
              >> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
              >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
              >> PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
              >> PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
              >> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

            • braspallo
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                Andrew,

                Thanks for the help... REALLY... you are the man. I am using the
                in-built LST editor to clarify. I am sorry to keep bothering you...

                Smite worked!! Damage reduction partially worked...

                I got the 1/- at 3rd level, but it did not increase to 2/- at 7th level

                I am checking to make sure I created the FEAT properly and the edited
                the Class TABS correctly...

> [...]
                > >> would only show the incremental changes when each level is
                attained, or:

                > >> 1/- at 3rd level
                > >> 2/- at 7th level
                > >> 3/- at 10th level
                > >>

                > >> Again thank you for your help already... if you could break it down
                > >> (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help
                > >>

                > >> Thanks,
                > >> Brian

                > >> known. Which version are you currently using?

                > >> in an ability file.

                > >> judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
                > >> tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
                > >> place your blurb on an SAB tag.

                > >> technique then we would use variables..

                > >> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

                > >> before or after.

                > >> letting people know which version you are coding too will help

                Groups Links

                > >> PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                > >> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                > >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                > >> PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                > >> PCGen's Online Docs:
                > >> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                Links

                > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Can we please move this discussion to PCGenListFileHelp? (And crop the posts.)

                  PCGen LST Chimp