generic question on tag placement

  • Sam Elmore
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
      Hello!

      I've got a generic question on a tag placement that is confusing me...

      when setting up a new ability where does the DEFINE tag go? In the
      Ability lst file, the ability category lst file or in the class lst
      file in the level progression area? I think this is where a lot of my
      confusion is coming from...I'm not sure exactly where some of these
      tags can/should be used so I'm putting them in the wrong area...

      Sam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
        Best practice is to put the define tag where the first reference is
        made. In official sets we make, the define is placed in the actual
        ability/feat file. The BONUS:VAR can be placed any where (But common
        usage is where it makes the most sense to work).

        AbilityName <> SAB:Blah %|DefinedVarName <> DEFINE:DefinedVarName|0
        Is how you'll normally see it, then you would place either the
        BONUS:VAR|DefinedVarName|1 or CL or whatever formula on a class level
        line, or even in the same ability if it isn't class specific.

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Sam Elmore wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > I've got a generic question on a tag placement that is confusing me...
        >
        > when setting up a new ability where does the DEFINE tag go? In the
        > Ability lst file, the ability category lst file or in the class lst
        > file in the level progression area? I think this is where a lot of my
        > confusion is coming from...I'm not sure exactly where some of these
        > tags can/should be used so I'm putting them in the wrong area...
        >
        > Sam

      • braspallo
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
          Andrew, thanks for the help.... I am using PC Gen 5.12

          The FEAT idea worked for Mettle....

          However,still trying to figure out the DAMAGE REDUCTION issue.

          I hate to admit it, but I know nothing of coding. A true NEWB...

          I tried your ways... probably wrong... and kept getting a messy
          version that would show all the lists of DR... was hoping that it
          would only show the incremental changes when each level is attained, or:

          1/- at 3rd level
          2/- at 7th level
          3/- at 10th level

          Again thank you for your help already... if you could break it down
          (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help

          Thanks,
          Brian

          > In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
          known. Which version are you currently using?

          > If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
          in an ability file.
          > If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
          >
          > Either way in your custom class place the
          > AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
          > OR
          > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
          >
          > on your class level line.
          >
          > AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
          judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
          tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
          place your blurb on an SAB tag.

          > For #2
          > 3 <tab> DR:1/-
          > 7 <tab> DR:2/-
          > 10 <tab> DR:3/-
          >
          > That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
          technique then we would use variables..

          BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
          > 7 <tab> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
          > 10 <tab> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
          >
          > but even that is simplistic in nature.
          > I highly recommend using a proper editor and do that by hand.
          >
          > NOTE: <tab> denotes an actual TAB using the TAB key. no spaces
          before or after.

          > Read the docs. And feel free to ask clarifying questions. Oh, and
          letting people know which version you are coding too will help you get
          the correct solution.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
            Okay, try this
            On the class level line use DR:1/-
            on the next level increment use
            BONUS:DR|-|1
            on the next level line
            BONUS:DR|-|1

            So it will look like this
            3 <> DR:1/-
            7 <> BONUS:DR|-|1
            10 <> BONUS:DR|-|1

            OR, if that isn't working make another Feat or Ability
            Place all those tags in the feat/ability
            MyDrAbility
            VISIBLE:NO
            TYPE:Class
            DR:1/-
            BONUS:DR|-|1|PRECLASS:1,YourClassName=7
            BONUS:DR|-|1|PRECLASS:1,YourClassName=10

            Change the YourClassName to what you really call your class.
            Then make sure you do AUTO:FEAT|MyDrAbility OR the appropriate ABILITY tag call.

            Trust me, after awhile these things do get easier.

            -Andrew (At work and can't wait to go home)

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:

            > In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
            known. Which version are you currently using?

            > If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
            in an ability file.
            > If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
            >
            > Either way in your custom class place the
            > AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
            > OR
            > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
            >
            > on your class level line.
            >
            > AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
            judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
            tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
            place your blurb on an SAB tag.

            > For #2
            > 3 DR:1/-
            > 7 DR:2/-
            > 10 DR:3/-
            >
            > That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
            technique then we would use variables..

            > 3 DR:VariableName/- DEFINE:VariableName|0
            BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
              Either I am doing nothing right... or am just brain dead.

              In either Case, I will clarify my problem (hopefully). I am using
              version 5.12 to do this

              Here's what I need, or am trying to do:

              Smite (1/day at 2nd level, 2/day at 6th level, 3/day at 10th level)

              Damage Reduction (1/- at 3rd Level, 2/- at 7th level)

              I have pretty much gotten everything else squared away for the
              Prestige Class I am trying to create (I copied the Paladin class and
              modified what I needed to make up the Character Class)

              The above aspects (Damage Reduction and Smite) are what is killing
              me... as I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set them up in
              the LST editor.

              Do I attempt under the LEVELS tab or the ADVANCED tab?
              If so... which? And how?

              I do not know anything about coding (REALLY... nothing) so breaking it
              down for... well, moron.. might be the only way I can ask.

              Please help... and thank you to all who try,
              Brian

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
                Okay,

                I'll make it easier in one aspect and more complicated in another... but
                it should work as you expect.

                I'm assuming you're using the in-built lst editor, I'm not used to it
                and don't normally bother. So, if this doesn't work out then I recommend
                doing it by hand in a real text editor.

                In your Class File: (Each line is a TAB)
                2
                AUTO:FEAT|Smite
                -New Line
                2
                BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
                -New Line
                6
                BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
                -New Line
                10
                BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
                -New Line
                3
                AUTO:FEAT|Damage Reduction All
                -New Line
                7
                BONUS:VAR|MyDamageRedBonus|1

                New FEAT

                Damage Reduction All
                TYPE:SpecialQuality
                VISIBLE:NO
                DR:1/-
                BONUS:DR|-|1|PREVAREQ:MyDamageRedBonus,1
                BONUS:DR|-|2|PREVAREQ:MyDamageRedBonus,2
                DEFINE:VAR|MyDamageRedBonus|0

                Smite already exists as a feat in the 5.12 model, so you're not needing
                to make a new feat.

                braspallo wrote:
> [...]
                >> (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help
                >>

                >> Thanks,
                >> Brian
                >>

                >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                >>
                >>> In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
                >>>
                >> known. Which version are you currently using?
                >>
                >>> If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
                >>>
                >> in an ability file.
                >>
                >>> If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
                >>>
                >>> Either way in your custom class place the
                >>> AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
                >>> OR
                >>> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
                >>>
                >>> on your class level line.
                >>>
                >>> AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
                >>>
                >> judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
                >> tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd

                >>> 7 DR:2/-
                >>> 10 DR:3/-
                >>>
                >>> That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
                >>>
                >> technique then we would use variables..
                >>
                >>> 3 DR:VariableName/- DEFINE:VariableName|0
                >>>
                >> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
                >>
                >>> 7 BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
                >>> 10 BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
                >>>
                >>> but even that is simplistic in nature.
                >>> I highly recommend using a proper editor and do that by hand.
                >>>
                >>> NOTE: denotes an actual TAB using the TAB key. no spaces
                >>>
                >> before or after.
                >>
                >>> Read the docs. And feel free to ask clarifying questions. Oh, and
                >>>
                >> letting people know which version you are coding too will help you get
                >> the correct solution.
                >>
                >>> Good luck
                >>> -Andrew (Admin SB)
                >>>
                >>> braspallo
                >>>
                >> wrote:
                >>
                >>> A rookie here trying how to get a couple items into a CUSTOM
                >>> CHARACTER. I am trying to add a Supernatural ability (much like
                >>> Evasion) for the 1st level of the character.
                >>>
                >>> 1.
                >>> The Supernatural ability is called "Mettle".... it allows a WILL or
                >>> FORTITUDE save in order to take no damage from a spell effect that
                >>> would allow for a reduction of the spell effect (IE; "Will Partial",
                >>> "Fortitude Partial" and similar.
                >>>
                >>> How do I add that into the custom character?
                >>>
                >>> 2.
                >>> The character class also allows for Damage Reduction:
                >>>

                >>> 1/- (at 3rd Level)
                >>> 2/- (at 7th level)
                >>> 3/- (at 10th level)
                >>>
                >>> How do I add that into the custom character?
                >>>

                >>> Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

                >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                >> ------------------------------------
                >>
                >> PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                >> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                >> PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                >> PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
                >> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

              • braspallo
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Andrew,

                  Thanks for the help... REALLY... you are the man. I am using the
                  in-built LST editor to clarify. I am sorry to keep bothering you...

                  Smite worked!! Damage reduction partially worked...

                  I got the 1/- at 3rd level, but it did not increase to 2/- at 7th level

                  I am checking to make sure I created the FEAT properly and the edited
                  the Class TABS correctly...

> [...]
                  > >> would only show the incremental changes when each level is
                  attained, or:

                  > >> 1/- at 3rd level
                  > >> 2/- at 7th level
                  > >> 3/- at 10th level
                  > >>

                  > >> Again thank you for your help already... if you could break it down
                  > >> (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help
                  > >>

                  > >> Thanks,
                  > >> Brian

                  > >> known. Which version are you currently using?

                  > >> in an ability file.

                  > >> judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
                  > >> tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
                  > >> place your blurb on an SAB tag.

                  > >> technique then we would use variables..

                  > >> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

                  > >> before or after.

                  > >> letting people know which version you are coding too will help

                  Groups Links

                  > >> PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                  > >> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                  > >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                  > >> PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                  > >> PCGen's Online Docs:
                  > >> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                  Links

                  > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                  > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                    Can we please move this discussion to PCGenListFileHelp? (And crop the posts.)

                    PCGen LST Chimp