Re: [pcgen] NEED HELP

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9 11:54 PM
      In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be known. Which version are you currently using?

      If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle in an ability file.
      If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.

      Either way in your custom class place the
      AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
      OR
      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle

      on your class level line.

      AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah" tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd place your blurb on an SAB tag.

      For #2
      3 <tab> DR:1/-
      7 <tab> DR:2/-
      10 <tab> DR:3/-

      That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny technique then we would use variables..

      7 <tab> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
      10 <tab> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

      but even that is simplistic in nature.
      I highly recommend using a proper editor and do that by hand.

      NOTE: <tab> denotes an actual TAB using the TAB key. no spaces before or after.

      Read the docs. And feel free to ask clarifying questions. Oh, and letting people know which version you are coding too will help you get the correct solution.

      Good luck
      -Andrew (Admin SB)

      braspallo <braspallo@...> wrote:
      A rookie here trying how to get a couple items into a CUSTOM
      CHARACTER. I am trying to add a Supernatural ability (much like
      Evasion) for the 1st level of the character.

      1.
      The Supernatural ability is called "Mettle".... it allows a WILL or
      FORTITUDE save in order to take no damage from a spell effect that
      would allow for a reduction of the spell effect (IE; "Will Partial",
      "Fortitude Partial" and similar.

      How do I add that into the custom character?

      2.
      The character class also allows for Damage Reduction:

      1/- (at 3rd Level)
      2/- (at 7th level)
      3/- (at 10th level)

      How do I add that into the custom character?

      Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

    • Sam Elmore
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10 6:34 AM
        Hello!

        I've got a generic question on a tag placement that is confusing me...

        when setting up a new ability where does the DEFINE tag go? In the
        Ability lst file, the ability category lst file or in the class lst
        file in the level progression area? I think this is where a lot of my
        confusion is coming from...I'm not sure exactly where some of these
        tags can/should be used so I'm putting them in the wrong area...

        Sam
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10 6:59 AM
          Best practice is to put the define tag where the first reference is
          made. In official sets we make, the define is placed in the actual
          ability/feat file. The BONUS:VAR can be placed any where (But common
          usage is where it makes the most sense to work).

          AbilityName <> SAB:Blah %|DefinedVarName <> DEFINE:DefinedVarName|0
          Is how you'll normally see it, then you would place either the
          BONUS:VAR|DefinedVarName|1 or CL or whatever formula on a class level
          line, or even in the same ability if it isn't class specific.

          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

          Sam Elmore wrote:
          > Hello!
          >
          > I've got a generic question on a tag placement that is confusing me...
          >
          > when setting up a new ability where does the DEFINE tag go? In the
          > Ability lst file, the ability category lst file or in the class lst
          > file in the level progression area? I think this is where a lot of my
          > confusion is coming from...I'm not sure exactly where some of these
          > tags can/should be used so I'm putting them in the wrong area...
          >
          > Sam

        • braspallo
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10 8:53 PM
            Andrew, thanks for the help.... I am using PC Gen 5.12

            The FEAT idea worked for Mettle....

            However,still trying to figure out the DAMAGE REDUCTION issue.

            I hate to admit it, but I know nothing of coding. A true NEWB...

            I tried your ways... probably wrong... and kept getting a messy
            version that would show all the lists of DR... was hoping that it
            would only show the incremental changes when each level is attained, or:

            1/- at 3rd level
            2/- at 7th level
            3/- at 10th level

            Again thank you for your help already... if you could break it down
            (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help

            Thanks,
            Brian

            > In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
            known. Which version are you currently using?

            > If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
            in an ability file.
            > If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
            >
            > Either way in your custom class place the
            > AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
            > OR
            > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
            >
            > on your class level line.
            >
            > AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
            judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
            tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
            place your blurb on an SAB tag.

            > For #2
            > 3 <tab> DR:1/-
            > 7 <tab> DR:2/-
            > 10 <tab> DR:3/-
            >
            > That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
            technique then we would use variables..

            BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11 2:37 AM
              Okay, try this
              On the class level line use DR:1/-
              on the next level increment use
              BONUS:DR|-|1
              on the next level line
              BONUS:DR|-|1

              So it will look like this
              3 <> DR:1/-
              7 <> BONUS:DR|-|1
              10 <> BONUS:DR|-|1

              OR, if that isn't working make another Feat or Ability
              Place all those tags in the feat/ability
              MyDrAbility
              VISIBLE:NO
              TYPE:Class
              DR:1/-
              BONUS:DR|-|1|PRECLASS:1,YourClassName=7
              BONUS:DR|-|1|PRECLASS:1,YourClassName=10

              Change the YourClassName to what you really call your class.
              Then make sure you do AUTO:FEAT|MyDrAbility OR the appropriate ABILITY tag call.

              Trust me, after awhile these things do get easier.

              -Andrew (At work and can't wait to go home)

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:

              > In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
              known. Which version are you currently using?

              > If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
              in an ability file.
              > If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
              >
              > Either way in your custom class place the
              > AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
              > OR
              > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
              >
              > on your class level line.
              >
              > AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
              judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
              tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
              place your blurb on an SAB tag.

              > For #2
              > 3 DR:1/-
              > 7 DR:2/-
              > 10 DR:3/-
              >
              > That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
              technique then we would use variables..

              > 3 DR:VariableName/- DEFINE:VariableName|0
              BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14 3:24 PM
                Either I am doing nothing right... or am just brain dead.

                In either Case, I will clarify my problem (hopefully). I am using
                version 5.12 to do this

                Here's what I need, or am trying to do:

                Smite (1/day at 2nd level, 2/day at 6th level, 3/day at 10th level)

                Damage Reduction (1/- at 3rd Level, 2/- at 7th level)

                I have pretty much gotten everything else squared away for the
                Prestige Class I am trying to create (I copied the Paladin class and
                modified what I needed to make up the Character Class)

                The above aspects (Damage Reduction and Smite) are what is killing
                me... as I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set them up in
                the LST editor.

                Do I attempt under the LEVELS tab or the ADVANCED tab?
                If so... which? And how?

                I do not know anything about coding (REALLY... nothing) so breaking it
                down for... well, moron.. might be the only way I can ask.

                Please help... and thank you to all who try,
                Brian

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 14 7:53 PM
                  Okay,

                  I'll make it easier in one aspect and more complicated in another... but
                  it should work as you expect.

                  I'm assuming you're using the in-built lst editor, I'm not used to it
                  and don't normally bother. So, if this doesn't work out then I recommend
                  doing it by hand in a real text editor.

                  In your Class File: (Each line is a TAB)
                  2
                  AUTO:FEAT|Smite
                  -New Line
                  2
                  BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
                  -New Line
                  6
                  BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
                  -New Line
                  10
                  BONUS:VAR|SmiteAnyTimes|1
                  -New Line
                  3
                  AUTO:FEAT|Damage Reduction All
                  -New Line
                  7
                  BONUS:VAR|MyDamageRedBonus|1

                  New FEAT

                  Damage Reduction All
                  TYPE:SpecialQuality
                  VISIBLE:NO
                  DR:1/-
                  BONUS:DR|-|1|PREVAREQ:MyDamageRedBonus,1
                  BONUS:DR|-|2|PREVAREQ:MyDamageRedBonus,2
                  DEFINE:VAR|MyDamageRedBonus|0

                  Smite already exists as a feat in the 5.12 model, so you're not needing
                  to make a new feat.

                  braspallo wrote:
> [...]
                  >> (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help
                  >>

                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Brian
                  >>

                  >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> In order to answer your question properly the following needs to be
                  >>>
                  >> known. Which version are you currently using?
                  >>
                  >>> If 5.14+ then you would need to create the ability called mettle
                  >>>
                  >> in an ability file.
                  >>
                  >>> If 5.12 then we would create a hidden feat called mettle.
                  >>>
                  >>> Either way in your custom class place the
                  >>> AUTO:FEAT|Mettle
                  >>> OR
                  >>> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mettle
                  >>>
                  >>> on your class level line.
                  >>>
                  >>> AS to which save, PCGen doesn't handle that, that would be a
                  >>>
                  >> judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
                  >> tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd

                  >>> 7 DR:2/-
                  >>> 10 DR:3/-
                  >>>
                  >>> That is the simple method... If you want to advanced shiny
                  >>>
                  >> technique then we would use variables..
                  >>
                  >>> 3 DR:VariableName/- DEFINE:VariableName|0
                  >>>
                  >> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
                  >>
                  >>> 7 BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
                  >>> 10 BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1
                  >>>
                  >>> but even that is simplistic in nature.
                  >>> I highly recommend using a proper editor and do that by hand.
                  >>>
                  >>> NOTE: denotes an actual TAB using the TAB key. no spaces
                  >>>
                  >> before or after.
                  >>
                  >>> Read the docs. And feel free to ask clarifying questions. Oh, and
                  >>>
                  >> letting people know which version you are coding too will help you get
                  >> the correct solution.
                  >>
                  >>> Good luck
                  >>> -Andrew (Admin SB)
                  >>>
                  >>> braspallo
                  >>>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> A rookie here trying how to get a couple items into a CUSTOM
                  >>> CHARACTER. I am trying to add a Supernatural ability (much like
                  >>> Evasion) for the 1st level of the character.
                  >>>
                  >>> 1.
                  >>> The Supernatural ability is called "Mettle".... it allows a WILL or
                  >>> FORTITUDE save in order to take no damage from a spell effect that
                  >>> would allow for a reduction of the spell effect (IE; "Will Partial",
                  >>> "Fortitude Partial" and similar.
                  >>>
                  >>> How do I add that into the custom character?
                  >>>
                  >>> 2.
                  >>> The character class also allows for Damage Reduction:
                  >>>

                  >>> 1/- (at 3rd Level)
                  >>> 2/- (at 7th level)
                  >>> 3/- (at 10th level)
                  >>>
                  >>> How do I add that into the custom character?
                  >>>

                  >>> Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

                  >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                  >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                  >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                  >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                  >> ------------------------------------
                  >>
                  >> PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                  >> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                  >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                  >> PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                  >> PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
                  >> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                • braspallo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 16 9:43 AM
                    Andrew,

                    Thanks for the help... REALLY... you are the man. I am using the
                    in-built LST editor to clarify. I am sorry to keep bothering you...

                    Smite worked!! Damage reduction partially worked...

                    I got the 1/- at 3rd level, but it did not increase to 2/- at 7th level

                    I am checking to make sure I created the FEAT properly and the edited
                    the Class TABS correctly...

> [...]
                    > >> would only show the incremental changes when each level is
                    attained, or:

                    > >> 1/- at 3rd level
                    > >> 2/- at 7th level
                    > >> 3/- at 10th level
                    > >>

                    > >> Again thank you for your help already... if you could break it down
                    > >> (as if you were talking to a child ;) almost) it would really help
                    > >>

                    > >> Thanks,
                    > >> Brian

                    > >> known. Which version are you currently using?

                    > >> in an ability file.

                    > >> judgment call during a game... What I'd do is use the "SAB:Blah blah"
                    > >> tag... SAB (Special ABility) will output on the pdf export. So you'd
                    > >> place your blurb on an SAB tag.

                    > >> technique then we would use variables..

                    > >> BONUS:VAR|VariableName|1

                    > >> before or after.

                    > >> letting people know which version you are coding too will help

                    Groups Links

                    > >> PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                    > >> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                    > >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                    > >> PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                    > >> PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > >> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                    Links

                    > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 16 1:04 PM
                      Can we please move this discussion to PCGenListFileHelp? (And crop the posts.)

                      PCGen LST Chimp