Full-featured Lst Editor?

  • Artus Faucon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      It would be very helpful if the Lst editor included in PCGen could be more, well helpful in
      creating custom entries, particularly classes and races. It seems to set up some of the basics,
      but for most custom items, it comes down to the tags, which is slapped at the end with no
      visible help. It's annoying having to switch between the HTML documentation, and the
      window, and ends up being more effective to work with the raw text. It is, however, very
      time-consuming and frustrating to have to learn how to write the code directly. A useful
      feature, but inaccessible to casual users.

      Is there any plan on adding more support, or features to make the lst editor easier to use for
      inexperienced users?
    • Eric C. Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi Folks!

        Artus wrote:

        > It would be very helpful if the Lst editor included in
        > PCGen could be more, well helpful in creating custom
        > entries, particularly classes and races. It seems to set
        > up some of the basics, but for most custom items, it
        > comes down to the tags, which is slapped at the end
        > with no visible help. It's annoying having to switch
        > between the HTML documentation, and the window,
        > and ends up being more effective to work with the
        > raw text. It is, however, very time-consuming and
        > frustrating to have to learn how to write the code
        > directly. A useful feature, but inaccessible to casual
        > users.
        >
        > Is there any plan on adding more support, or features
        > to make the lst editor easier to use for inexperienced users?

        The good news is that the PCGen team does plan on tackling this issue.

        The bad news is that it isn't going to get fixed in the
        near future. The best guess right now is sometime
        after 6.0 comes out.

        Eric Smith
      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Artus Faucon" <faucon@...> wrote:
          > Is there any plan on adding more support, or features to make the
          lst editor easier to use for
          > inexperienced users?

          The simple answer is: Absolutely. I think we recognize that this is a
          critical feature, especially considering that we will not be able to
          ship data for 4E.

          The practical answer is: We only have so many developers. In fact, we
          have a handful of active developers at the moment, and we're forced to
          pick our battles. Our primary focus on 5.16 is getting in support for
          Pathfinder and 4E, the focus of one of the developers being some
          significant UI work. Beyond that, I think the next priority would be
          an LST editor.

          As to when it will happen? It might happen in 5.16 if we make a lot
          of progress. It may not. I'm not in the business of speculating what
          our plans are beyond 5.16, so I will leave it at: We recognize it's
          important, and are doing our best.

          TP.
        • Artus Faucon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
            Thanks for the response. I admit that support for new and exciting systems is a priority
            (I'm looking forward to Pathfinder support myself), particularly in the face of limited time.
            I might argue that a more developed lst editor would be part of a UI overhaul, but that's
            not important.

            I look forward to future developments.

            Thanks.