[5.14.0] [BUG?] var("BL=%LIST")

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
      Ok, working on the Practiced Spellcaster feat that grants bonus to caster
      level from your non-caster levels.

      Example character Wiz5/Ftr3.

      The feat should make the Cleric caster level 8.

      What I had originally in the file (%LIST is fed from a spellclass chooser):
      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")-var("BL=%LIST")))

      The caster level for the Cleric spells remained at 5 after applying the
      feat.

      When I strip it to this:
      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")))

      I get the proper caster level bump, but this would be incorrect for the feat
      with a character that got bonus level from a prestige class.

      Not sure where or how, but the var("BL=%LIST") seems to be causing things to
      go haywire.

      Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in here?

      Barak
    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
        LOL. You guys are REALLY creeping me out right now. Two
        long-standing (2+ year) bugs that I discovered by reading code in the
        last two weeks, and BOTH have been pointed out on lists in the last
        three days, right after I discovered them. So much for low priority.

        Absolutely a BUG... around lines 4740-4755 of PObject, since that page
        of notes is sitting right in front of me!

        You have discovered the issue that triggered this post on
        _experimental:

        TP.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

        > Ok, working on the Practiced Spellcaster feat that grants bonus to
        caster
        > level from your non-caster levels.
        >
        > Example character Wiz5/Ftr3.
        >
        > The feat should make the Cleric caster level 8.
        >
        > What I had originally in the file (%LIST is fed from a spellclass
        chooser):
        > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")-var("BL=%LIST")))
        >
        > The caster level for the Cleric spells remained at 5 after applying the
        > feat.
        >
        > When I strip it to this:
        > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")))
        >
        > I get the proper caster level bump, but this would be incorrect for
        the feat
        > with a character that got bonus level from a prestige class.
        >
        > Not sure where or how, but the var("BL=%LIST") seems to be causing
        things to
        > go haywire.
        >
        > Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in here?
        >
        > Barak

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
          Trackered as bug - 2006488 Bug in var("BL=%LIST")))

          > LOL. You guys are REALLY creeping me out right now. Two
          > long-standing (2+ year) bugs that I discovered by reading code in the
          > last two weeks, and BOTH have been pointed out on lists in the last
          > three days, right after I discovered them. So much for low priority.
          >
          > Absolutely a BUG... around lines 4740-4755 of PObject, since that page
          > of notes is sitting right in front of me!
          >
          > You have discovered the issue that triggered this post on
          > _experimental:
          >
          > TP.
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Ok, working on the Practiced Spellcaster feat that grants bonus to
          > caster
          > > level from your non-caster levels.
          > >
          > > Example character Wiz5/Ftr3.
          > >
          > > The feat should make the Cleric caster level 8.
          > >
          > > What I had originally in the file (%LIST is fed from a spellclass
          > chooser):
          > > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")-var("BL=%LIST")))
          > >
          > > The caster level for the Cleric spells remained at 5 after
          applying the
          > > feat.
          > >
          > > When I strip it to this:
          > > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")))
          > >
          > > I get the proper caster level bump, but this would be incorrect for
          > the feat
          > > with a character that got bonus level from a prestige class.
          > >
          > > Not sure where or how, but the var("BL=%LIST") seems to be causing
          > things to
          > > go haywire.
          > >
          > > Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in here?
          > >
          > > Barak

        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
            Barak,

            Is this used in an item that's MULT:YES? I can fix it for MULT:NO
            easily, MULT:YES may require deeper work...

            TP.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

            > LOL. You guys are REALLY creeping me out right now. Two
            > long-standing (2+ year) bugs that I discovered by reading code in the
            > last two weeks, and BOTH have been pointed out on lists in the last
            > three days, right after I discovered them. So much for low priority.
            >
            > Absolutely a BUG... around lines 4740-4755 of PObject, since that page
            > of notes is sitting right in front of me!
            >
            > You have discovered the issue that triggered this post on
            > _experimental:
            >
            > TP.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Ok, working on the Practiced Spellcaster feat that grants bonus to
            > caster
            > > level from your non-caster levels.
            > >
            > > Example character Wiz5/Ftr3.
            > >
            > > The feat should make the Cleric caster level 8.
            > >
            > > What I had originally in the file (%LIST is fed from a spellclass
            > chooser):
            > > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")-var("BL=%LIST")))
            > >
            > > The caster level for the Cleric spells remained at 5 after
            applying the
            > > feat.
            > >
            > > When I strip it to this:
            > > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|%LIST|min(4,(TL-var("CL=%LIST")))
            > >
            > > I get the proper caster level bump, but this would be incorrect for
            > the feat
            > > with a character that got bonus level from a prestige class.
            > >
            > > Not sure where or how, but the var("BL=%LIST") seems to be causing
            > things to
            > > go haywire.
            > >
            > > Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in here?
            > >
            > > Barak

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008

              It's a MULT:YES feat (unfortunately). Practiced Spellcaster from Complete
              Arcane if you have the book and want to look it up. I've tried to come up
              with an alternative method and nothing at all is coming to mind.

              Barak