PCGen and Vista x64 question

  • John Bauldree
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
      Anyone using Vista x64?

      I am and cannot seem to run PCGen 5.14 reliably. not sure if it is just a Java issue or an OS issue. Running the latest Java downloaded from java.com.

      also am running PCGen on a XP sp2 system and it runs incredibly slow. I have P4 - 3.2ghz with 2gb ram
      any help to speed this program up would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      John

    • Eric C. Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
        Hi John!

        We just had a fairly extensive run of posts on Vista
        x64. Not certain what your particular problem is,
        but here is the final outcome from that discussion . . .

        Also, though we are planning on updating the docs,
        to incorporate a few clarifications that came out of
        the recent discussion, we do have a section in the
        FAQ on Vista x64 and PCGen.

        Eric Smith
        Doc 2nd

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "John Bauldree" <bauldj@...> wrote:

        > Anyone using Vista x64?
        >
        > I am and cannot seem to run PCGen 5.14 reliably. not sure if it is just a Java issue or an
        OS issue. Running the latest Java downloaded from java.com.

        > also am running PCGen on a XP sp2 system and it runs incredibly slow. I have P4 -
        3.2ghz with 2gb ram
        > any help to speed this program up would be appreciated.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > John

      • Sean Riley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
          Yeah, I was the one with that problem...

          Email me if you have trouble after reading that linked post and I'll help walk you through it.

          Sean

          We just had a fairly extensive run of posts on Vista
          x64. Not certain what your particular problem is,
          but here is the final outcome from that discussion . . .

          Also, though we are planning on updating the docs,
          to incorporate a few clarifications that came out of
          the recent discussion, we do have a section in the
          FAQ on Vista x64 and PCGen.

          Eric Smith
          Doc 2nd

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "John Bauldree" <bauldj@...> wrote:

          > Anyone using Vista x64?
          >
          > I am and cannot seem to run PCGen 5.14 reliably. not sure if it is just a Java issue or an
          OS issue. Running the latest Java downloaded from java.com.

          > also am running PCGen on a XP sp2 system and it runs incredibly slow. I have P4 -
          3.2ghz with 2gb ram
          > any help to speed this program up would be appreciated.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > John

        • Sean Riley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
            PCGen seems to have trouble saving characters or exports to the character file when it is in the x86 folders...

            I've found that you can save characters back in your Documents folder...

            so that works.

            Is there a way (that I've not seen) to change where user data is saved?

            Thanks,

            Sean

          • Eric C. Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hi Sean!

              Sean wrote:

              > PCGen seems to have trouble saving characters or exports to the character file when it is in
              the x86 folders...

              > I've found that you can save characters back in your Documents folder...
              >
              > so that works.
              >
              > Is there a way (that I've not seen) to change where user data is saved?

              Under the Settings/Preferences/PCGen/Location menu you will find a field titled "PCGen
              Character Directory". Simply place the pathname to the location you wish to save your
              characters to and PCGen should pick that up.

              Eric