MOVECLONE issue

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2008
      I have a dataset with the following tag:

      MOVECLONE:Walk,0,Swim,*0

      When I load the dataset, I get this:

      SEVERE pcgen.core.Movement Illegal movement multiplier: 0.0 in movement
      string *0

      Why is that an illegal movement multiplier???

      Barak
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2008
        MOVECLONE:Walk,Swim,*0

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Barak wrote:
        > I have a dataset with the following tag:
        >
        > MOVECLONE:Walk,0,Swim,*0
        >
        > When I load the dataset, I get this:
        >
        > SEVERE pcgen.core.Movement Illegal movement multiplier: 0.0 in movement
        > string *0
        >
        > Why is that an illegal movement multiplier???
        >
        > Barak

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2008
          > > SEVERE pcgen.core.Movement Illegal movement multiplier: 0.0 in
          > > movement string *0

          > MOVECLONE:Walk,Swim,*0

          Nope, unfortunately, same error message. :(

          Barak
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2008
            I suppose the silly question... Why?

            *0 is nothing unless math is failing me... And PCGen doesn't like value
            of nothing clutering up space...

            If you want a swim move use *1

            Barak wrote:
            >>> SEVERE pcgen.core.Movement Illegal movement multiplier: 0.0 in
            >>> movement string *0
            >>>

            >> MOVECLONE:Walk,Swim,*0
            >>

            > Nope, unfortunately, same error message. :(
            >
            > Barak

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 15, 2008

              Because I have an item that says "You can swim at up to your speed". Some
              races don't have a Walk speed...

              So I coded it like this:
              MOVECLONE:Walk,Swim,*0
              BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Swim|MOVE.0.RATE

              I can't just do the MOVECLONE with a *1 for each type of movement because
              there are races that have more than one type, and at different speeds.

              > *0 is nothing unless math is failing me... And PCGen doesn't like
              > value of nothing clutering up space...

              Yes, but since an equipment item won't take a Move tag, it's the only way to
              create a new movement mode from a piece of equipment.

              Besides, removing a movement rate (or reducing it to 0, same effect)
              *should* be a viable option. The program will let me use MOVEADD to take it
              to 0, so why can't I use moveclone to set a new movement mode to 0?

              > If you want a swim move use *1

              See above.

              Barak
            • Keith McComb
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 15, 2008
                REALLY stupid question, but I've made the same mistake I'm about to mention:

                Have you ensured that you're using zeroes, and not the letter o?

                Because on my email, every place you have that (Swim,*0 and MOVE.0.RATE)
                it looks like a lowercase o to me (Swim,*o and MOVE.o.RATE)

                I'm sure you've already checked it, but I thought I'd mention it - I
                once spent four hours trying to figure out a problem that turned out to
                be a zero/letter O problem.

                Keith

                Barak wrote:

> [...]
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 15, 2008
                  On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Barak <barak@...> wrote:
                  > I have a dataset with the following tag:
                  >
                  > MOVECLONE:Walk,0,Swim,*0
                  >
                  > When I load the dataset, I get this:
                  >
                  > SEVERE pcgen.core.Movement Illegal movement multiplier: 0.0 in movement
                  > string *0
                  >
                  > Why is that an illegal movement multiplier???

                  You want a Swim speed of 0 ?

                  PCGen LST Chimp
                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 15, 2008

                    No, I want a Swim speed equal to "base speed", from whatever movement mode
                    that is (since not all creatures have a Walk speed).

                    MOVECLONE:Walk,Swim,*0
                    BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Swim|MOVE.0.RATE

                    This is supposed to create a Swim movement type and then bonus is by
                    whatever the base movement rate is.

                    I'd love to be able to do MOVE:Swim,0 but you can't use MOVE in a feat.

                    Barak
                  • Tom Parker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 15, 2008
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      I've changed out 5.14.x so you can use *0 even though it's "strange" -
                      Committed revision 6653.

                      I've also opened up a BUG against MOVE not working in FEATs...
                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1994588&group_id=25576&atid=384719

                      TP.
                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 15, 2008

                        Cool, I didn't actually test behavior, I just went by the error message. So
                        this should be a code bug that it is falsely reporting a problem?

                        Barak
                      • Tom Parker
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 16, 2008
                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

                          False is relative. I still think it should be forbidden long-term,
                          but I re-enabled it as a workaround until we can get MOVE working in
                          Equipment.

                          TP.
                        • Tom Parker
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 22, 2008
                            Barak, I'm showing MOVE works in Feats/Abilities. Can you test using
                            just MOVE and let us know if there's a problem for you? If so, some
                            more investigation is in order... but tests I've run show it works.

                            TP.