Re: Cannot load sources at all (Ubuntu Hardy). Probably a very easy fix.

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
      At this time, you need to install Sun's Java, vs. the OpenJDK that is
      installed by default in Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

      We are still establishing what is the problem with OpenJDK (or if it's
      something in PCGen that is coded a bit weird), but haven't yet
      established the exact issue.

      The OpenJDK packages will start with:
      openjdk-6

      The Sun packages start with
      sun-java-6

      You can use the Synaptic Package Manager to (un)install these packages.

      TP.

      The Sun Java packages are:

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "third_ech3lon" <third_ech3lon@...> wrote:

      > Hey everyone. I've been having issues with being able to load source
      > .pcc's in pcgen, which I just installed the other day. I'm really
      > clueless as to what file I need to configure or what directory to put
      > the files under to get anything to work...
      >
      > I posted my issue on the Ubuntu forums, to no avail:
      >
      > I apologize for the noobishness of this question, but I'm really at my
      > wit's end and don't know who else to turn to. As you can probably tell
      > I'm a novice to this system, but I'm really looking forward to getting
      > it to work properly. It should make my life as a DM a whole lot
      easier...

      > Anyway, thanks again for the help. Peace.

    • James Milne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
        Well we need to know two things.
        1. Which version of Java are you using? (Ubuntu 8.04 installs Open Java instead of Sun's Java and it has been found that Open Java doesn't work with PCgen)
        2. Under the settings/preferences menu you will need to make sure all of the locations are set properly.

        http://ubuntuforums .org/showthread. php?t=817237

        I apologize for the noobishness of this question, but I'm really at my
        wit's end and don't know who else to turn to. As you can probably tell
        I'm a novice to this system, but I'm really looking forward to getting
        it to work properly. It should make my life as a DM a whole lot easier...

        Anyway, thanks again for the help. Peace.

      • John Delea
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
          I have both Sun's and the open Java installed on this computer. When I try to run pcgen.jar with either one, neither seems to work well (I can't pull down any settings from the Game Mode/Campaign menu under preferences). When I move to my pcgen directory in terminal and run

          java -jar pcgen.jar

          as the documentation said, the program opens and everything at least seems to work copasetically. I'm still clueless as to what to do to get sources to load, though... attached is a pic of my current situation for those without access to Ubuntu Forums.

          Say I had a .pcc file of the DND 3.5 PHB (I don't) that I wanted to create a character from, or something like that. Where would I put it, given my current settings (second pic), to be able to load it? The obvious choice would be "data," but this installation hasn't exactly been so straightforward as to expect anything...

          Again, I apologize for the triviality of my individual questions, and fully appreciate all the assistance you have offered so far. Thanks again!

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
            I had the exact same problem as you when I first installed PCgen, Open Java for some reason conflicts with the drop down menus. I removed Open Java and replaced it with Sun Java and everything worked fine. I tried reinstalling Open Java (just to see what would happen) and with both installed the problem came back. Get rid of Open Java and see if that clears it up for you.