4e D&D dataset

  • techogre1970
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
      I'v heard there were a few homebrew 4e datasets. Can anyone point me in
      the correct direction, please?

      Thanks!
      Daniel G.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
        Hi Daniel G.,

        I'm sorry to inform you that the PCGen Community does not promote or
        allow solicitation of Closed Content materials on the boards.

        However, if you would like to make such data sets for your own
        personal/private use, we'd be more than willing to assist you in your
        current endeavors. We have the pcgen list help group for such purposes.

        Here is an excerpt from our Policies:

        Why is book <X> not included in PCGen?
        --------------------------------------

        There are a few possible causes for this situation and the explanation hold true for both datasets that have never been in PCGen and some which have been in PCGen but were removed.

        (1) If the book is closed content, then we may not have permission from the publisher, or may not have permission to include enough data to allow the data to be useful to our users.

        (2) If the book if partially or completely OGL content, then we still require permission from the publisher because the publisher name and book title are both trademarks. Under the OGL, we require permission to use those to identify the source of the data. We believe if we cannot identify the source of the data, then the value to PCGen users is lost (how do you find the data?), so we will not include a dataset for that source.

        (3) It is possible that PCGen does not have the features to support a sufficient amount of the data from a given source, and thus is not included in our production release (or is included as an alpha source)

        For more information on what sources are available in PCGen and explanations for those that are not, please refer to our Publisher Permissions page at: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/acknowledgments/publishers.html

        If you find we are unable to publish data for a source you are interested in, you may wish to contact the publisher directly to express your interest in having a dataset for PCGen available (either a free one distributed by PCGen or a commercial dataset distributed by the publisher or a third party).

        Where is WotC's non-SRD material?
        ---------------------------------

        When 3rd edition came out in 2000, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) also created the Open Gaming License (OGL). This would allow 3rd party publishers to use Open Game Content (OGC) as long as they followed the rules laid out in the OGL. WotC took most, but not all, of the material in the PHB, DMG and MM and created the System Reference Document (SRD). They declared this to be OGC, which is what the 3rd party publishers initially used. At a later date, WotC added material from the Psionics Handbook to the SRD.

        When d20 Modern came out, WotC created the Modern System Reference Document (MSRD). This contains material from d20 Modern, d20 Future, Menace Manual and Urban Arcana.

        When 3.5 came out, WotC created the Revised System Reference Document (RSRD). This contains material from the 3.5 PHB, 3.5 DMG, 3.5 MM, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Deities and Demigods (not everything in this material was converted to 3.5), Epic Level Handbook (as Deities and Demigods) and a little bit from Manual of the Planes.

        Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference Documents is not available for 3rd party publishers to use. The Red Wizard of Thay did not make it into the RSRD, so PCGen can not include that in our distribution.

        Also see: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        techogre1970 wrote:
        > I'v heard there were a few homebrew 4e datasets. Can anyone point me in
        > the correct direction, please?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Daniel G.

      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
          As a broader note, the aspect we are facing right now is that we
          really don't know what of the 4E will be "open" content (technically
          GSL, I think), and we don't know what "open" means enough to know if
          it allows electronic products like PCGen. Speculation is a bit
          pointless, so we've avoided that as best we can.

          Until we have and understand the license, we have to consider the
          entire 4E effectively closed... hence the response from Andrew. I'm
          sure that as soon as the board understands the license & implications,
          a post will be made to explain the situation & our plans.

          TP.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
            Tom is correct, until we have a license or something that says "4e is
            open" or a something similar, we have to assume it's closed content and
            cannot promote it's distribution or solicitation.

            Once we have all the facts in front of us, then we will be able to act
            accordingly.

            We do intend to support 4e, if that will be possible. Anything else, as
            stated before, is simple conjecture at this point and time.