Re: Help needed setting up PCgen on a linux machine

  • Justin Larsen
    Message 1 of 47 , May 31, 2008
      I'm honestly not much of one for forums (or Yahoo! groups), and I know
      that this is a bit of an old thread, so I ask you to bear with me on
      this and forgive any trespasses:

      I'm running Hardy i386 and Sun's Java 6 and I'm having the same
      situation: when trying to run PCGen 5.12.1, I basically end up running
      an app with no data. When I eventually get to the program there are no
      Sources to choose from besides "Other," which does nothing. Below, on
      the right side, "Refresh" and "Customize" are usable, but "Load,"
      "Unload All," "Remove All," and "Website" are all grayed out. I've
      followed everything I can follow regarding this thread to try and get
      something to load but to this point no dice (puns are always intended).
      The locations are all pointing to the right place, I've triple-checked
      to make sure that I'm running SUN's version of Java, and unless I'm
      completely inept (which is quite possible), the permissions shouldn't be
      a problem. For the sake of thoroughness, I also spent fifteen minutes
      begging my computer to make it work.

      I'm also getting an error as the program launches, however. I use
      pcgen.sh to start things up. The splash screen comes up, the terminal
      dumps about twenty pages of code, ending with the relatively
      representative line:
      Unparsed line: RACE:slayerscentraces.lst in
      file:/home/grillfocks/.pcgen/pcgen5121/data/permissioned/mongoose/slayer\
      sguides/centaurs/slayerscent.pcc
      and then a dialog box shows up, saying:
      Missing resource: jep-2.3.1.jar

      Get it here: jep-2.3.1.jar

      This feature requires the download of the above-mentioned file(s).
      Please download and place in the "lib" sub-directory of your PCGen
      installation. In the case of .zip files you will need to unzip them as
      well. You must then restart PCGen for full functionality.
      Of course, when I check in the /lib subdirectory, jep-2.3.1.jar is
      present and accounted for. I downloaded another copy from sourceforge
      to see if it was just corrupt, but it's still "missing" when the program
      launches. Once I click OK, however, the splash screen goes away, the
      program itself loads, and everything would be cool if I could just get
      those sources to load.

      I hope all that made sense. Is this a related issue, or do I have two
      problems to deal with here?

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Milne <duroondgr@...> wrote:

      > Sun Java is in the repositories, yes. However if you install the
      ubuntu restricted extras package it installs open java instead of Sun's.
      Instead of installing that package I have had to go through and pick all
      the various drivers and software that would be in the package and
      install them separately. I doubt it would actually be a problem as long
      as Sun's verison gets installed first.

    • Tom Parker
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 2, 2008
        OpenJDK is installed by default in Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04-LTS).

        Since you've installed Sun's Java, you can remove open-java. The
        packages are:
        openjdk-6-jdk
        openjdk-6-jre
        openjdk-6-jre-headless