Re: [Trackered] bug? or my ignorance? how to create lvl 0-9 custom scrolls

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 10 , May 28 12:50 PM
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <Otiendikil@...> wrote:
      >It would also be better if the Minor, Medium, and Major types had
      >some
      >explanation. I hadn't heard about these divisions elsewhere and
      >didn't
      >know to select them, or which one to select.

      I'm guessing that Minor/Medium/Major are the divisions given in the
      Dungeon Master's Guide under random generation of scrolls. The drop
      down box is probably a hold-over from a very old bit of code (pre
      5.5.x, when I started using the program). At this point it is probably
      more difficult to remove than it would be to put a notation in the
      documation for the item customizer. Then again, 6.0 will cure all of
      our ills. :)

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 10 , May 28 10:13 PM
        > I'm guessing that Minor/Medium/Major are the divisions given in the
        > Dungeon Master's Guide under random generation of scrolls.

        Hi Sir George,

        That is a good guess, but it seems (from how it is presented by one of
        the hypertext RSRDs, at http://dndsrd.net/magicItemsSSW.html#scrolls )
        that the there is an overlap in the random scroll generation
        categories of "Minor", "Medium", and "Major" scrolls, so that a Minor
        scroll contains spells of levels 0-3, Medium of 2-5, and Major of 4-9.

        Another possibility is that Minor/Medium/Major derives from the
        breakdown, for example, of rods into Lesser, Normal, and Greater,
        where the highest spell level affected is 3, 6, and 9, respectively. (
        http://dndsrd.net/magicItemsPRR.html#rods ) Or, it could be just a
        result of the easy division of the number 9 (well, 10 with 0 level
        spells) into an aesthetically pleasing 3 groups; As the song says,
        "Three is a magic number, yes it is."

        Whether it is an 'official' set of RSRD categories or not, it should
        probably just have a note somewhere in the PCGen program explaining
        what each Minor/Medium/Major category applies to. Also, as I was
        talking about earlier, the 'epic' code (as I understand that it),
        needs to be somehow cleaned up and segregated as the
        Minor/Medium/Major code is, since it is an unexplained, always
        available, and confusing option presented differently than the others.

        ~~ Matt