Expected behavior?

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2008
      I have a class that is listed as an Arcane caster. However, the classes
      spell list contains a couple of Divine spells (they only have Divine in
      their TYPE tag). The classes spell list has been created by .MODding the
      basic spells to add CLASSES:<classname>=<level>.

      When leveling the class to the appropriate level, said Divine spells do not
      show up in the classes spell list. Is this expected behavior??

      I would honestly expect that when a spell is granted to a class specifically
      it would be granted regardless of the TYPE listed in it.

      While it's easy enough to work around by adding TYPE:Arcane to the .MOD, I
      really think the behavior should be as I expected above. Or am I out of my
      tree??

      Barak
      Message 2 of 15 , May 24, 2008
        I would not expect that behavior and call it a bug. I've got to run, but
        I'll definitely test to see if this behavior exists in the latest version.

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Barak wrote:
        > I have a class that is listed as an Arcane caster. However, the classes
        > spell list contains a couple of Divine spells (they only have Divine in
        > their TYPE tag). The classes spell list has been created by .MODding the
        > basic spells to add CLASSES:<classname>=<level>.
        >
        > When leveling the class to the appropriate level, said Divine spells do not
        > show up in the classes spell list. Is this expected behavior??
        >
        > I would honestly expect that when a spell is granted to a class specifically
        > it would be granted regardless of the TYPE listed in it.
        >
        > While it's easy enough to work around by adding TYPE:Arcane to the .MOD, I
        > really think the behavior should be as I expected above. Or am I out of my
        > tree??
        >
        > Barak

      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 15 , May 24, 2008
          Here be dragons.

          (SVN revision 6349, Trunk, among other places see line 1922 of
          Globals.java)

          The underlying problem:
          It is possible to have more than one Spell with the same name.
          You will find, for example, Charm Monster exists twice in the SRD,
          once as a Spell for magic folks and once as a Psionic "Spell". The
          only method of loading this without warning about duplicate objects is
          to have some method to distinguish those objects when they are used.

          In the case you're experiencing, the system looks at the PC, finds
          "Arcane"... and will return spells that either (1) Have the Class
          listed and do not have a name conflict or (2) Have the Class listed
          and have the matching TYPE [if there is more than one Spell with the
          given name]. Yes, this seems weird. Yes, this seems inconsistent (in
          only applying TYPE in case 2). No, I have no idea how many
          ramifications it will have to remove the TYPE check.

          If you are familiar with Categories on the Ability objects in the
          latest branches, I generally think of "Arcane", "Divine" and "Psionic"
          as "magical" (pun intended) types that serve as a "Category" [the
          Super Key definition of Category] for Spells. The analogy doesn't
          completely hold (only because I understand categories more than I did
          when I first established the analogy), but that's how I've always
          interpreted it to work.

          TP.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

          > I have a class that is listed as an Arcane caster. However, the classes
          > spell list contains a couple of Divine spells (they only have Divine in
          > their TYPE tag). The classes spell list has been created by
          .MODding the
          > basic spells to add CLASSES:<classname>=<level>.
          >
          > When leveling the class to the appropriate level, said Divine spells
          do not
          > show up in the classes spell list. Is this expected behavior??
          >
          > I would honestly expect that when a spell is granted to a class
          specifically
          > it would be granted regardless of the TYPE listed in it.
          >
          > While it's easy enough to work around by adding TYPE:Arcane to the
          .MOD, I
          > really think the behavior should be as I expected above. Or am I
          out of my
          > tree??
          >
          > Barak

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 15 , May 24, 2008

            Aren't there always? :p

            [snip good explanation]

            > In the case you're experiencing, the system looks at the PC, finds
            > "Arcane"... and will return spells that either (1) Have the Class
            > listed and do not have a name conflict or (2) Have the Class listed
            > and have the matching TYPE [if there is more than one Spell with the
            > given name].

            This made me go looking since there *shouldn't* be more than one version of
            one of these spells, and what do I find? Another copy (basically a .MOD
            that someone forgot to add the .MOD to :p). So now it will work without
            adding the TYPE:Arcane to *my* .MOD if I so desire.

            > Yes, this seems weird. Yes, this seems inconsistent (in
            > only applying TYPE in case 2). No, I have no idea how many
            > ramifications it will have to remove the TYPE check.

            I guess it's worth a bit of discussion since both Andrew and I expected a
            different behavior, but if it's too involved I have no objection to just
            noting it somewhere in the docs and moving on. :)

            Barak
          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 15 , May 29, 2008
              Does this need to go to experimental? - K

            • Tom Parker
              Message 6 of 15 , May 29, 2008
                Yes, and probably wouldn't hurt to have a Dev Spec against it to
                remind us of the underlying issue

                TP.

                wrote:

                > Does this need to go to experimental? - K

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 15 , May 30, 2008
                  Posted over on exp

                  > Yes, and probably wouldn't hurt to have a Dev Spec against it to
                  > remind us of the underlying issue
                  >
                  > TP.
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does this need to go to experimental? - K

                • nylanfs
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2013
                    Using the last two alpha/beta's, if you load the "Pathfinder RPG for Players" or "Pathfinder for Game Masters" it isn't registering the books that are included in those sets as selected so you can't load other sources that require those books.

                    Was this an intended change or unintended?
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 13, 2013

                      That's unexpected. I'll double check the code on those for the data side.