bug? or my ignorance? how to create lvl 0-9 custom scrolls

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2008
      RC2

      Hi,

      I was trying to create a custom scroll and was having difficulties. I
      was trying to make the caster level of the spell higher but the "Spell
      Level" box begins at level 10 and goes to level 30, and (perhaps
      because of this) the Spell Name and Variant boxes are shaded out and
      not selectable.

      What I would like is, for example, a Bless spell at caster level 5,
      instead of the usual caster level 1.

      I tried going in from a the Scroll (Bless) and also from the plain
      "Scroll" base item.

      ~~ Matt
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2008
        Confirmed bug... Odd.

        1970853 Customizer for Scrolls (adding spells) locked 10 to 30
        <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1970853&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        Matt wrote:
        > RC2
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I was trying to create a custom scroll and was having difficulties. I
        > was trying to make the caster level of the spell higher but the "Spell
        > Level" box begins at level 10 and goes to level 30, and (perhaps
        > because of this) the Spell Name and Variant boxes are shaded out and
        > not selectable.
        >
        > What I would like is, for example, a Bless spell at caster level 5,
        > instead of the usual caster level 1.
        >
        > I tried going in from a the Scroll (Bless) and also from the plain
        > "Scroll" base item.
        >
        > ~~ Matt

      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2008
          I have closed the tracker, due to insufficient information. What
          precisely is being done here to produce the problem, and what data is
          being used?

          TP.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2008
            create 1st level anything, (fighter was what I used - though really you
            can skip the whole creation process and jump to the inventory tab)

            Inventory tab
            go to scroll, find blank
            blank scroll - right click = customize
            add = divine
            add = spell effect
            pop up window - choose any class
            Level next to class displays 10, pull down displays 10 through 30
            SPELL NAME - Pull down below blank non-selectable
            VARIANT - next pull down below that is also blank non-selectable
            Casterlevel works, spell type stuck on divine
            Metamagic feats work as well.

            Ergo, BUG, cannot create a spell scroll.

            Used 5.14 rc2,
            Just tested with 5.14 rc1

            Tom Parker wrote:
            > I have closed the tracker, due to insufficient information. What
            > precisely is being done here to produce the problem, and what data is
            > being used?
            >
            > TP.

            >> Confirmed bug... Odd.
            >>
            >> 1970853 Customizer for Scrolls (adding spells) locked 10 to 30
            >>

            > <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1970853&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
            >
            >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            >> ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
            >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
            >>

            >> Matt wrote:
            >>
            >>> RC2
            >>>
            >>> Hi,
            >>>
            >>> I was trying to create a custom scroll and was having difficulties. I
            >>> was trying to make the caster level of the spell higher but the "Spell
            >>> Level" box begins at level 10 and goes to level 30, and (perhaps
            >>> because of this) the Spell Name and Variant boxes are shaded out and
            >>> not selectable.
            >>>
            >>> What I would like is, for example, a Bless spell at caster level 5,
            >>> instead of the usual caster level 1.
            >>>
            >>> I tried going in from a the Scroll (Bless) and also from the plain
            >>> "Scroll" base item.
            >>>
            >>> ~~ Matt

            >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
            >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
            >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

            >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 10 , May 23, 2008
              What Data are you using? The fact that you're not getting a query for
              "Major/Medium/Minor" leads me to believe you're not in the RSRD.

              In the RSRD the contents of the list that you are worried about are
              triggered by EQBUILDER.SPELL|x|y in the enhancing EqMods, so I'm
              suspecting something similar exists in the data you are using, but
              something is going wrong with the syntax?

              TP.

              > create 1st level anything, (fighter was what I used - though really you
              > can skip the whole creation process and jump to the inventory tab)
              >
              > Inventory tab
              > go to scroll, find blank
              > blank scroll - right click = customize
              > add = divine
              > add = spell effect
              > pop up window - choose any class
              > Level next to class displays 10, pull down displays 10 through 30
              > SPELL NAME - Pull down below blank non-selectable
              > VARIANT - next pull down below that is also blank non-selectable
              > Casterlevel works, spell type stuck on divine
              > Metamagic feats work as well.
              >
              > Ergo, BUG, cannot create a spell scroll.
              >
              > Used 5.14 rc2,
              > Just tested with 5.14 rc1
              >
              > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
              > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
              >

              > Tom Parker wrote:
              > > I have closed the tracker, due to insufficient information. What
              > > precisely is being done here to produce the problem, and what data is
              > > being used?
              > >
              > > TP.

              > >> Confirmed bug... Odd.
              > >>
              > >> 1970853 Customizer for Scrolls (adding spells) locked 10 to 30

              <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1970853&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

              > >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > >> ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
              > >> ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur

              > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

              Links

              > > PCGen's Online Docs:
              > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

            • musicguerilla
              Message 6 of 10 , May 23, 2008
                Hi, I had no problems with RC2 with creating a caster level 5 bless
                scroll with the inventory create custom item feature myself. (yes, i
                have the rsrd loaded as well).

                Bri

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                > What Data are you using? The fact that you're not getting a query
                for
                > "Major/Medium/Minor" leads me to believe you're not in the RSRD.
                >
                > In the RSRD the contents of the list that you are worried about are
                > triggered by EQBUILDER.SPELL|x|y in the enhancing EqMods, so I'm
                > suspecting something similar exists in the data you are using, but
                > something is going wrong with the syntax?
                >
                > TP.

                > > create 1st level anything, (fighter was what I used - though
                really you
                > > can skip the whole creation process and jump to the inventory tab)
                > >
                > > Inventory tab
                > > go to scroll, find blank
                > > blank scroll - right click = customize
                > > add = divine
                > > add = spell effect
                > > pop up window - choose any class
                > > Level next to class displays 10, pull down displays 10 through 30
                > > SPELL NAME - Pull down below blank non-selectable
                > > VARIANT - next pull down below that is also blank non-selectable
                > > Casterlevel works, spell type stuck on divine
                > > Metamagic feats work as well.
                > >
                > > Ergo, BUG, cannot create a spell scroll.
                > >
                > > Used 5.14 rc2,
                > > Just tested with 5.14 rc1
                > >
                > > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > > ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                > > ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                > > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                > >

                > > Tom Parker wrote:
                > > > I have closed the tracker, due to insufficient information.
                What
                > > > precisely is being done here to produce the problem, and what
                data is
                > > > being used?
                > > >
                > > > TP.

                > <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                func=detail&aid=1970853&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                > difficulties. I
                > "Spell

                http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php

                > > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

                Groups
                > Links

                > > > PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                > > > PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                > > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                > > > PCGen's Alpha Build:
                http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                > > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                > > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:
                Links

                Message 7 of 10 , May 24, 2008
                  I used only the rsrd, I even tried used minor and still nada.

                  Sorry, my posts are rushed due to the fact (I'm at work) and the prior
                  one I was rushing out the door for work.

                  Tom Parker wrote:
                  > What Data are you using? The fact that you're not getting a query for
                  > "Major/Medium/Minor" leads me to believe you're not in the RSRD.
                  >
                  > In the RSRD the contents of the list that you are worried about are
                  > triggered by EQBUILDER.SPELL|x|y in the enhancing EqMods, so I'm
                  > suspecting something similar exists in the data you are using, but
                  > something is going wrong with the syntax?
                  >
                  > TP.

                  >> create 1st level anything, (fighter was what I used - though really you
                  >> can skip the whole creation process and jump to the inventory tab)
                  >>
                  >> Inventory tab
                  >> go to scroll, find blank
                  >> blank scroll - right click = customize
                  >> add = divine
                  >> add = spell effect
                  >> pop up window - choose any class
                  >> Level next to class displays 10, pull down displays 10 through 30
                  >> SPELL NAME - Pull down below blank non-selectable
                  >> VARIANT - next pull down below that is also blank non-selectable
                  >> Casterlevel works, spell type stuck on divine
                  >> Metamagic feats work as well.
                  >>
                  >> Ergo, BUG, cannot create a spell scroll.
                  >>
                  >> Used 5.14 rc2,
                  >> Just tested with 5.14 rc1
                  >>
                  >> ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  >> ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                  >> "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                  >>

                  >> Tom Parker wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I have closed the tracker, due to insufficient information. What
                  >>> precisely is being done here to produce the problem, and what data is
                  >>> being used?
                  >>>
                  >>> TP.

                  > <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1970853&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                  > difficulties. I

                  > "Spell

                  >>> http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

                  > Links

                  >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                  >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                  >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                  >>> PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                • Matt
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 24, 2008

                    I'll try to give more info, but I am not really sure what to say.
                    Actually, I have actually had this problem for some time, first noticing
                    it a few months ago, I think, but haven't had the time to properly
                    investigate it.

                    Using a full install of 5.14.0 RC2 on a Windows Vista laptop.

                    The source materials loaded are:
                    3.5 RSRD - Campaign Set - No Psionics.
                    PCGen Open Gaming Content
                    MyCampaign

                    Then I load my wizard just to have a character.

                    Method 1: Starting from a Scroll (Bless) and trying to customize it.
                    Select Inventory tab -> Gear sub-tab, Right click on Scroll (Bless) and
                    Create Custom Item.
                    In the pop-up window, selected "Spell Effect (Single Use/Completion)"
                    [with a Cost formula that begins "Cost:(250*(max((..."] and hit "Add".
                    (The other options are "Add Type", "Major", "Medium", and "Minor"--I
                    didn't know what these were for, so I hadn't tried them. I do later in
                    this post.]

                    *In the next pop-up window, changed the Class menu to Cleric, but the
                    Spell Level select box begins at 10 and ends at 30.

                    The Spell Name and Variant boxes are grayed out. In the other menu
                    boxes, the Caster Level box goes from 1 to 20 and the Spell Type box has
                    Divine as the only option (as expected). A new choice can be made in the
                    Caster Level box and items can be highlighted in the Metamagic Feats
                    box, but these are moot since the other buttons never change from
                    "Cancel" to "OK" (probably, because no Spell Name is selected--or
                    selectable-- since the Spell Levels are from 10 to 30, only.

                    (I would think, starting from a Scroll (Bless) base item, the Spell
                    Level box would be at '1' and the Spell Name would be at "Bless".)

                    Method 2: Starting from a "Scroll" blank.
                    Same at above, but starting with a the basic Scroll and adding the types
                    MAGIC, SCROLL, DIVINE, CONSUMABLE, tying to mimic Scroll (Bless).
                    However, the results are the same as when I try Method 1, above.

                    Method 3: Starting from a suggestion I got from this thread, I tried
                    Method 1 above but added the type "Minor" first.
                    AH! This is what you are supposed to do! [:)]
                    Now, it is easy to make a custom cleric Scroll (Bless) at a caster level
                    5! (or whatever) after selecting the

                    Conclusions and side problems:
                    1). In the first two tries, I didn't know about the importance of the
                    "Minor" (etc) property, and so just tried to add "Spell Effect (Single
                    Use/Completion)" property with the cost formula ""Cost:(250*(max((...",
                    and this leads to the (I would guess) the Epic (10-30) level spells.
                    When I try Minor, I then see the options:
                    a) "Add type";
                    b) a new option, "Spell Effect (Single Use/Completion)" property with
                    the cost formula ""Cost:(25*(max((...";
                    c) and the previous option, "Spell Effect (Single Use/Completion)"
                    property with the cost formula ""Cost:(250*(max((...";

                    When I try the Spell Effect property with the smaller cost option, I am
                    able to now pick the low level spells.

                    It would seem to make more sense if the high-cost Spell Effect option
                    was now always available, but only after (if I am guessing its function
                    properly) when an Epic property is added.

                    It would also be better if the Minor, Medium, and Major types had some
                    explanation. I hadn't heard about these divisions elsewhere and didn't
                    know to select them, or which one to select.

                    2). The Scroll I created off of the basic Scroll (Bless) looks like
                    "Scroll (Bless/Bless/Cleric/5th/Minor)" I don't know why it duplicates
                    the word "Bless". But, it otherwise seems to work.

                    3). I can also create a version of the basic Scroll (Bless), starting
                    from just a "Scroll" but it looks like "Scroll
                    (MAGIC/Bless/Clerics/1st/Divine/Minor" with the "Types: SCROLL.
                    CONSUMABLE. CUSTOM." list in the details. Perhaps a minor point, but
                    could, ultimately, there be more consistency so that any regular item on
                    the list could be 're-created' in a custom way? And, why don't the
                    "types" show in the same way for items? Trying to figure out how to make
                    my own, I used existing items at a guide, but properties that I try to
                    add show up in odd places and odd orders.

                    My Scroll (Bless) looks like this:
                    Scroll (MAGIC/Bless/Cleric/1st/Divine/Minor)
                    Type: SCROLL. CONSUMABLE. CUSTOM. Wt.: 0 lbs. Size: M

                    and the official Scroll (Bless) looks like this:
                    Scroll (Bless)
                    Type: MAGIC. SCROLL. DIVINE. CONSUMABLE. Wt.: 0.01 lbs. Size: M

                    I don't know it the placement or order of the terms (e.g. MAGIC, DIVINE)
                    or their presence or absence is important or not but, in the most
                    logical and consistent operation, they would be the same and it would be
                    possible to create any normal (non-specific) item with the tools at
                    hand.

                    Thanks, hope that helps,

                    Matt

                  • ovka
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 28, 2008
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <Otiendikil@...> wrote:
                      >It would also be better if the Minor, Medium, and Major types had
                      >some
                      >explanation. I hadn't heard about these divisions elsewhere and
                      >didn't
                      >know to select them, or which one to select.

                      I'm guessing that Minor/Medium/Major are the divisions given in the
                      Dungeon Master's Guide under random generation of scrolls. The drop
                      down box is probably a hold-over from a very old bit of code (pre
                      5.5.x, when I started using the program). At this point it is probably
                      more difficult to remove than it would be to put a notation in the
                      documation for the item customizer. Then again, 6.0 will cure all of
                      our ills. :)

                      Cheers,

                      Sir George Anonymous
                    • Matt
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 28, 2008
                        > I'm guessing that Minor/Medium/Major are the divisions given in the
                        > Dungeon Master's Guide under random generation of scrolls.

                        Hi Sir George,

                        That is a good guess, but it seems (from how it is presented by one of
                        the hypertext RSRDs, at http://dndsrd.net/magicItemsSSW.html#scrolls )
                        that the there is an overlap in the random scroll generation
                        categories of "Minor", "Medium", and "Major" scrolls, so that a Minor
                        scroll contains spells of levels 0-3, Medium of 2-5, and Major of 4-9.

                        Another possibility is that Minor/Medium/Major derives from the
                        breakdown, for example, of rods into Lesser, Normal, and Greater,
                        where the highest spell level affected is 3, 6, and 9, respectively. (
                        http://dndsrd.net/magicItemsPRR.html#rods ) Or, it could be just a
                        result of the easy division of the number 9 (well, 10 with 0 level
                        spells) into an aesthetically pleasing 3 groups; As the song says,
                        "Three is a magic number, yes it is."

                        Whether it is an 'official' set of RSRD categories or not, it should
                        probably just have a note somewhere in the PCGen program explaining
                        what each Minor/Medium/Major category applies to. Also, as I was
                        talking about earlier, the 'epic' code (as I understand that it),
                        needs to be somehow cleaned up and segregated as the
                        Minor/Medium/Major code is, since it is an unexplained, always
                        available, and confusing option presented differently than the others.

                        ~~ Matt