Problems creating a Sorcerer

  • dbbakerga
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15, 2008
      Hi,

      I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I'm
      trying to create a sorcerer with PCGen v. 5.10.1. The s/w isn't: 1.
      allowing me to add a familiar, and 2. giving the character all her
      spells.

      1. The 3.5 Player's Handbook says that a sorcerer is entitled to a
      familiar the same as a wizard (pg 52). (Just an FYI, I read in one
      of the discussions here that a familiar only grants the extra bonuses
      when within arms length, but in the 3.5 PH it states that the bonus
      is granted if the familiar is within a mile of the character.)

      2. The PH also states that a sorcerer has "no need to select and
      prepare their spells ahead of time." (Similar to a druid and a
      cleric.) Yet, PCGen acts as if it is a wizard and makes
      you "prepare" spells.

      Any help you can give me on how to get around these issues would be
      greatly appreciated. Thanks!

      Dawn
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 10 , May 15, 2008
        Hi Dawn,

        These things definitely work in PCGen, so it is likely that there is some
        specific problem which you are encountering. To track down what this is,
        could you tell us what sources you have loaded and what version of Java you
        are using please? Another thing you could do is upload your character file
        to the "Need help with" folder in the files section so we can check it over.

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB

        2008/5/16 dbbakerga <dbbakerga@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I'm
        > trying to create a sorcerer with PCGen v. 5.10.1. The s/w isn't: 1.
        > allowing me to add a familiar, and 2. giving the character all her
        > spells.
        >
        > 1. The 3.5 Player's Handbook says that a sorcerer is entitled to a
        > familiar the same as a wizard (pg 52). (Just an FYI, I read in one
        > of the discussions here that a familiar only grants the extra bonuses
        > when within arms length, but in the 3.5 PH it states that the bonus
        > is granted if the familiar is within a mile of the character.)
        >
        > 2. The PH also states that a sorcerer has "no need to select and
        > prepare their spells ahead of time." (Similar to a druid and a
        > cleric.) Yet, PCGen acts as if it is a wizard and makes
        > you "prepare" spells.
        >
        > Any help you can give me on how to get around these issues would be
        > greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        >
        > Dawn

      • dbbakerga
        Message 3 of 10 , May 15, 2008
          Hi James,

          Thanks for the quick reply. I was running Java 2 Runtime Std. Ed.
          1.42_03, but my husband went ahead and downloaded Java for me so now
          it's the Std. Ed. 6, update 5. I went back into the file and that
          didn't fix the problems.

          Weirdly, I only wanted a few sources loaded, but every time I open
          her file a ton of stuff is loaded. So, here's the long list (and I
          can't figure out how to unload the extras and keep them from loading
          when I open the character file):

          3.5 RSD-campaign set-core book l
          " " l & 11
          " " l, ll, & lll (want this)
          " "-no psionics (want this, not sure if needed)
          3.5 RSRD Advanced (want this)
          3.5 RSRD Basics (want this)
          3.5 RSRD Monsters (want this)
          PCGen Open Gaming content
          3.5 RSRD Divine
          " " Epic
          " " Epic Psionics
          " " Psionics
          RPG Objects-Legends of the Ancients-Carthage
          " "-Macedon

          I'm going to try and upload that file tonight. All the characters in
          the campaign (8 in total) are on my computer b/c my husband is the DM
          and some players don't have PCGen (and don't have time to futz with
          their characters). So, you'll see that the file is the character's
          name_player's name: Aura_Holly. Just wanted to give you a head's up
          that it doesn't have my name on it at all. (I just created it and
          will help maintain it.)

          Thanks again for all your help!

          Dawn

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dawn,
          >
          > These things definitely work in PCGen, so it is likely that there
          is some
          > specific problem which you are encountering. To track down what
          this is,
          > could you tell us what sources you have loaded and what version of
          Java you
          > are using please? Another thing you could do is upload your
          character file
          > to the "Need help with" folder in the files section so we can check
          it over.

          > --
          > Cheers,
          > James Dempsey
          > PCGen Code SB
          >
          > 2008/5/16 dbbakerga <dbbakerga@...>:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I'm
          > > trying to create a sorcerer with PCGen v. 5.10.1. The s/w isn't:
          1.
          > > allowing me to add a familiar, and 2. giving the character all her
          > > spells.
          > >
          > > 1. The 3.5 Player's Handbook says that a sorcerer is entitled to
          > > familiar the same as a wizard (pg 52). (Just an FYI, I read in
          one
          > > of the discussions here that a familiar only grants the extra
          bonuses
          > > when within arms length, but in the 3.5 PH it states that the
          bonus
          > > is granted if the familiar is within a mile of the character.)
          > >
          > > 2. The PH also states that a sorcerer has "no need to select and
          > > prepare their spells ahead of time." (Similar to a druid and a
          > > cleric.) Yet, PCGen acts as if it is a wizard and makes
          > > you "prepare" spells.
          > >
          > > Any help you can give me on how to get around these issues would
          be
          > > greatly appreciated. Thanks!
          > >
          > > Dawn

        • Axel's Cats & Axel
          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2008
            1) Build a familiar as a character, then add it as a resource, in inventory, you possibly also want to add the temp bonus of 'Familiar within Arms reach'

            2) No, select your spells, remember you have a very limited selection and you can blast the baddies to your hearts content, in any order you want, so in theory, you have a spell book but it is your head, if that makes sense!

            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2008
              dbbakerga scribed:

              > Weirdly, I only wanted a few sources loaded, but every time I open
              > her file a ton of stuff is loaded. So, here's the long list (and I
              > can't figure out how to unload the extras and keep them from loading
              > when I open the character file):

              Sounds like you have the option of loading the sources with the character
              turned on. The pcg file has a list of all the datasets loaded when it was
              last created and your list has sets that are duplicating stuff.

              Go to the Preferences and click the Sources window, the second option is
              "Autoload Source with PC:", see if that is checked and uncheck it. Now the
              next time you load the character no additional sets will be loaded and when
              you save the character the new source list will overwrite the old one.

              As for which RSRD sets to use the Complete, Partial and Campaign sets are
              not designed to be used together. If you use the Complete set don't load any
              others. If you use RSRD Basics you can load any of the other Partial sets
              with it. The Campaign sets are designed to be used individually so pick one
              and no others, the each has progressively more data so the "No Psionics"
              set, for example, also loads the 3 code books.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • Alvise Nicoletti
              Message 6 of 10 , May 16, 2008
                Hi guys...

                I'm looking since february for a new stable of pcgen because the 5.12
                have that fussing exception problem while changing character.
                However, I'm spotting a lot of unstable improvement but no stable new
                versions.

                When a new version is coming out?
                Message 7 of 10 , May 16, 2008
                  Hi Alvise,

                  RC2 should be out this next week... it was delayed for some serious bug
                  squashing.
                  The next stable release 5.14 should be within the next couple of weeks.
                  I won't say for sure when, since we want a Bug Free Stable Release (or
                  as close to it) as we want our stable releases to be just that... Stable.

                  Please, grab RC1 (or RC2 when we release it) and see if it's more stable
                  for you. If not, please, let us know what is 'buggy' so we can address
                  it before the next stable.

                  ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2008
                    Thank you very much.

                    No, the current .12 is not "unstable", it justs trows continuous
                    exceptions while changing character and that was a little scary for me
                    every time I was saving.
                    In realty, apart from the exception trowing, I never had other problems.
                    So that's ok.

                    Thank you.

                    > Hi Alvise,
                    >
                    > RC2 should be out this next week... it was delayed for some serious bug
                    > squashing.
                    > The next stable release 5.14 should be within the next couple of weeks.
                    > I won't say for sure when, since we want a Bug Free Stable Release (or
                    > as close to it) as we want our stable releases to be just that... Stable.
                    >
                    > Please, grab RC1 (or RC2 when we release it) and see if it's more stable
                    > for you. If not, please, let us know what is 'buggy' so we can address
                    > it before the next stable.
                    >
                    > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                    > "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
                    >
                    > Alvise Nicoletti wrote:
                    > > Hi guys...
                    > >
                    > > I'm looking since february for a new stable of pcgen because the 5.12
                    > > have that fussing exception problem while changing character.
                    > > However, I'm spotting a lot of unstable improvement but no stable new
                    > > versions.
                    > >
                    > > When a new version is coming out?

                    > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net>
                    > <http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/>
                    > <http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap>
                    > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php>
                    > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/>
                    > > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                  • dbbakerga
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 29, 2008
                      Hi Everyone,

                      Just wanted to let you know that my husband downloaded and installed
                      5.12.1 and it fixed the problems I was having.

                      I have another question, but I'm going to put it in its own message.

                      Thanks for all your help!

                      Dawn

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 29, 2008
                        Hi, thanks for the update...

                        Interesting problem and I would like to investigate the steps needed to replicate this so we can fix the problem.

                        Unfortunately, I'm not at home and won't be for a couple of days (Limited internet access during that time).

                        Can you please list how the character was created (was this a pre-existing character loaded with the newer version?)
                        What sources were being loaded and what actually loaded?
                        (Based upon what you are saying it looks like the character was loaded with a different sources and then the load sources with character was turned on)

                        Hopefully either James or Eddy can assist you while I'm away... If not please, BUMP this message by Saturday.

                        Andrew Maitland
                        Admin SB
                        (Not at home)

                        dbbakerga <dbbakerga@...> wrote: Hi Everyone,