Making sources change game modes

  • Jonathan Thompson
    Message 1 of 20 , May 12, 2008
      Tir was able to tell me how to do this once a blue moon ago, but I
      cant remember how to do it and with a new version of PCGen I dont know
      it if would be the same anyway. What I need is the ability to import
      some (or all) the SRD 3.0 sources into the SRD 3.5 game mode. Hows
      this done?

      --
      Jonathan M. Thompson
      Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com)
      Message 2 of 20 , May 12, 2008
        Jonathan Thompson scribed:

        > Tir was able to tell me how to do this once a blue moon ago, but I
        > cant remember how to do it and with a new version of PCGen I dont know
        > it if would be the same anyway. What I need is the ability to import
        > some (or all) the SRD 3.0 sources into the SRD 3.5 game mode. Hows
        > this done?

        There are several ways to do this, this simplest is to edit the datasets pcc
        file and add 3.5 to the GAMEMODE tag, i.e.:

        Change this: GAMEMODE:3e
        To this: GAMEMODE:3e|35e

        IF you don't want to mess with a text editor you can create a custom dataset
        made from any other set from within the program. In the Source Tab on the
        lower right you should see a "Customize" button", when you click this it
        gives you a window with a bunch of popup menus that allow you to select
        which ever set you want to include. Just make sure you are in 3.5 mode, the
        custom pcc is set in whatever gameMode you are in but you can select data
        from any gameMode.

        The problem with both of these methods is that since the data is not written
        for the gameMode you are importing it into there are likely to be problems.
        For example if the 3.0 source has a feat with 3 ranks of Intuit Direction as
        a prerequisite it will never pass in 3.5 because that skill doesn't exist.

        Ideally the way to do this is to create a conversion set, it's a new pcc
        file which imports the data from the original set and then .MOD's the data
        to correct for the differences. I've done this for all the AEG datasets (AEG
        gave us permission for this) and I have done a few others (mainly FFG sets)
        for my own use. The process for making a conversion set is fairly involved
        and requires using prettylst to identify missing elements and not something
        I could easily explain.

        I could probably make some conversion sets pretty fast though, which sets
        were you wanting to use?
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Sam Elmore
        Message 3 of 20 , May 12, 2008
          I think what I'm wanting to do is different than what you're
          describing. I'm looking to add in feats from the Complete Divine and
          character classes/feats/skills/races from the Oriental Adventures.
          I've got the books, I'd like to put it into the program though so that
          I can keep my sheets clean. I've kinda sorta figured out feats but am
          stuck on adding Domain Spontaneity. I can't quite figure out how to
          generate the list to choose my domain from....

          Sam

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 20 , May 13, 2008
            Hi Sam,

            You should get a good response if you ask your question over on
            PCGenListFileHelp, it's our very active Y! group for resolving these
            sorts of things :)

            Message 5 of 20 , May 13, 2008
              Thanks! I'm new to this sorta thing so I wasn't sure where to go.
              I'll go there now!

              Sam

              Message 6 of 20 , May 13, 2008
                There is actually a list. A lot of FFG and Mongoose. Which is why I
                was hoping to do it myself. Yall are pretty busy as it is. The fantasy
                world I run has a mixture of the 3.0 and 3.5 books as source material
                that the players can use, so I wanted to have it where when you load
                the one game mode you have the appropriate books from the other
                available to the characters.

                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2008
                  There are 4 conversions sets for FFG sources, they are in the files
                  section of the pcgen_experimental yahoo group, look for the folder named
                  "Conversion sets - 3.0 to 3.5".

                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2008
                    Hi Jonathon,

                    There is another way to achieve this which may be of interest to you.
                    You can modify the modes that your game mode allows by using the
                    ALLOWEDMODE tag. See
                    http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/systemfilestagpages/gamemodemiscinfolist.html#ALLOWEDMODES
                    for doco.

                    James Dempsey
                    PCGen Code SB

                    On 13/05/2008 10:26 PM Jonathan Thompson wrote
                    > There is actually a list. A lot of FFG and Mongoose. Which is why I
                    > was hoping to do it myself. Yall are pretty busy as it is. The fantasy
                    > world I run has a mixture of the 3.0 and 3.5 books as source material
                    > that the players can use, so I wanted to have it where when you load
                    > the one game mode you have the appropriate books from the other
                    > available to the characters.
                    >
                    > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> I could probably make some conversion sets pretty fast though, which sets
                    >> were you wanting to use?

                  • David R. Bender
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 26, 2008
                      In gamemodes/35e/miscinfo.lst there are these two lines:

                      PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
                      PREVIEWSHEET:preview.html

                      That forces the CHARACTER SHEET tab to show the PREVIEW.HTML sheet.
                      Cool. Changed the PREVIEWSHEET: to my own sheet and it shows up.

                      The question is how to I get rid of the PREVIEW Tab (the "builtin" one).
                      I don't see it in any of the gamemode files, nor in any preference?

                      David
                      Papa.DRB

                      Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
                      My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 26, 2008
                        Hi David,

                        On 26/05/2008 10:58 PM David R. Bender wrote
                        > In gamemodes/35e/miscinfo.lst there are these two lines:
                        >
                        > PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
                        > PREVIEWSHEET:preview.html
                        >
                        > That forces the CHARACTER SHEET tab to show the PREVIEW.HTML sheet.
                        > Cool. Changed the PREVIEWSHEET: to my own sheet and it shows up.
                        >
                        > The question is how to I get rid of the PREVIEW Tab (the "builtin" one).
                        > I don't see it in any of the gamemode files, nor in any preference?

                        In preferences, on the Plugins tab, uncheck the "Run this plugin" option
                        under character sheet.

                        James Dempsey
                        PCGen Code SB
                      • David R. Bender
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 26, 2008
                          Buggers, I forgot that it was a plugin. Thanks !!!

                          James Dempsey wrote:
                          > Hi David,
                          >
                          > On 26/05/2008 10:58 PM David R. Bender wrote
                          >
                          >> In gamemodes/35e/miscinfo.lst there are these two lines:
                          >>
                          >> PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
                          >> PREVIEWSHEET:preview.html
                          >>
                          >> That forces the CHARACTER SHEET tab to show the PREVIEW.HTML sheet.
                          >> Cool. Changed the PREVIEWSHEET: to my own sheet and it shows up.
                          >>
                          >> The question is how to I get rid of the PREVIEW Tab (the "builtin" one).
                          >> I don't see it in any of the gamemode files, nor in any preference?
                          >>
                          > In preferences, on the Plugins tab, uncheck the "Run this plugin" option
                          > under character sheet.

                        • David R. Bender
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 31, 2008
                            I am starting to work on the Book of Experimental Might (my wife is
                            playing Bingo at the Camp Rec hall heh), and have run into a few problems.

                            a) Spell.MOD is not working as expected

                            Acid Splash.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=0
                            Crushing Hand.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=9|Wizard=19
                            Astral Projection.MOD CLASSES:Cleric,Sorcerer=9|Wizard=20

                            Acid Splash was a Wizard 0 spell and in BoXM all 0 level spells go away.
                            It still shows up in the Wizard list.
                            In the spell tab, when listing by class/level, there is not Level 20
                            twistie. If I list by class/-- (ie. by name), I can click on Astral
                            Projection and it shows as a level 20 spell.

                            b) On the Source Materials page, other than recreating the RSRD Twistie
                            under Malhavoc because I have to exclude the original base classes, is
                            there any way to get the new data into program?

                            David
                            Papa.DRB

                            Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
                            My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
                          • Tom Parker
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 31, 2008

                              > I am starting to work on the Book of Experimental Might (my wife is
                              > playing Bingo at the Camp Rec hall heh), and have run into a few
                              problems.

                              > a) Spell.MOD is not working as expected
                              >
                              > Acid Splash.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=0
                              > Crushing Hand.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=9|Wizard=19
                              > Astral Projection.MOD CLASSES:Cleric,Sorcerer=9|Wizard=20
                              >
                              > Acid Splash was a Wizard 0 spell and in BoXM all 0 level spells go
                              away.
                              > It still shows up in the Wizard list.

                              So you need: CLASSES:.CLEARALL|Sorcerer=0 if you want to remove the
                              items listed on the "original" CLASSES entry. CLASSES does not
                              overwrite, it appends.

                              > In the spell tab, when listing by class/level, there is not Level 20
                              > twistie. If I list by class/-- (ie. by name), I can click on Astral
                              > Projection and it shows as a level 20 spell.

                              This is likely a UI bug

                              > b) On the Source Materials page, other than recreating the RSRD Twistie
                              > under Malhavoc because I have to exclude the original base classes, is
                              > there any way to get the new data into program?

                              I don't quite understand the question...

                              TP.
                            • Martijn Verburg
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                                Hi David,

                                Which of the issues are you still experiencing? There's a couple that
                                might need trackering.

                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I am starting to work on the Book of Experimental Might (my wife is
                                > > playing Bingo at the Camp Rec hall heh), and have run into a few
                                > problems.
                                > >
                                > > a) Spell.MOD is not working as expected
                                > >
                                > > Acid Splash.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=0
                                > > Crushing Hand.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=9|Wizard=19
                                > > Astral Projection.MOD CLASSES:Cleric,Sorcerer=9|Wizard=20
                                > >
                                > > Acid Splash was a Wizard 0 spell and in BoXM all 0 level spells go
                                > away.
                                > > It still shows up in the Wizard list.
                                >
                                > So you need: CLASSES:.CLEARALL|Sorcerer=0 if you want to remove the
                                > items listed on the "original" CLASSES entry. CLASSES does not
                                > overwrite, it appends.
                                >
                                > > In the spell tab, when listing by class/level, there is not Level 20
                                > > twistie. If I list by class/-- (ie. by name), I can click on Astral
                                > > Projection and it shows as a level 20 spell.
                                >
                                > This is likely a UI bug
                                >
                                > > b) On the Source Materials page, other than recreating the RSRD
                                Twistie
                                > > under Malhavoc because I have to exclude the original base
                                classes, is
                                > > there any way to get the new data into program?
                                >
                                > I don't quite understand the question...
                                >
                                > TP.

                              • Tom Parker
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                                  wrote:
                                  > > > In the spell tab, when listing by class/level, there is not
                                  Level 20
                                  > > > twistie. If I list by class/-- (ie. by name), I can click on Astral
                                  > > > Projection and it shows as a level 20 spell.
                                  > >
                                  > > This is likely a UI bug

                                  This is definitely a PCGen BUG, I found the hardcoded variable last
                                  night, please tracker this.

                                  TP.
                                • David R. Bender
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                                    Yea, I will open a tracker for the UI bug where Tom found the
                                    "hard-coded" variable.

                                    The 1st one is Working as Designed, I just got confused.

                                    The 3rd one is more of a how-to question that I am still playing with.
                                    If I can't figure it out, I will post a more detailed append.

                                    Martijn Verburg wrote:
                                    > Hi David,
                                    >
                                    > Which of the issues are you still experiencing? There's a couple that
                                    > might need trackering.

                                    >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> I am starting to work on the Book of Experimental Might (my wife is
                                    >>> playing Bingo at the Camp Rec hall heh), and have run into a few
                                    >>>
                                    >> problems.
                                    >>
                                    >>> a) Spell.MOD is not working as expected
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Acid Splash.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=0
                                    >>> Crushing Hand.MOD CLASSES:Sorcerer=9|Wizard=19
                                    >>> Astral Projection.MOD CLASSES:Cleric,Sorcerer=9|Wizard=20
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Acid Splash was a Wizard 0 spell and in BoXM all 0 level spells go
                                    >>>
                                    >> away.
                                    >>
                                    >>> It still shows up in the Wizard list.
                                    >>>
                                    >> So you need: CLASSES:.CLEARALL|Sorcerer=0 if you want to remove the
                                    >> items listed on the "original" CLASSES entry. CLASSES does not
                                    >> overwrite, it appends.
                                    >>

                                    >>> In the spell tab, when listing by class/level, there is not Level 20
                                    >>> twistie. If I list by class/-- (ie. by name), I can click on Astral
                                    >>> Projection and it shows as a level 20 spell.
                                    >>>
                                    >> This is likely a UI bug
                                    >>

                                    >>> b) On the Source Materials page, other than recreating the RSRD
                                    >>>
                                    > Twistie
                                    >
                                    >>> under Malhavoc because I have to exclude the original base
                                    >>>
                                    > classes, is
                                    >
                                    >>> there any way to get the new data into program?
                                    >>>
                                    >> I don't quite understand the question...
                                    >>
                                    >> TP.

                                  • David R. Bender
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                                      Trackered

                                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=1984559&group_id=25576

                                      David R. Bender wrote:
                                      > Yea, I will open a tracker for the UI bug where Tom found the
                                      > "hard-coded" variable.
                                    • Martijn Verburg
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                                        TRackerd:

                                        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1984586&group_id=25576&atid=384719

                                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@>
                                        > Level 20
                                        Astral

                                        > > > This is likely a UI bug
                                        >
                                        > This is definitely a PCGen BUG, I found the hardcoded variable last
                                        > night, please tracker this.
                                        >
                                        > TP.
                                      • Martijn Verburg
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008
                                          > Yea, I will open a tracker for the UI bug where Tom found the
                                          > "hard-coded" variable.

                                          Beat you to it ;)

                                        • Martijn Verburg
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 4, 2008