Re: [FREQ] 5.14.0 RC1. .. better way to enter "Purchase Mode", pt 2

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2008
      Hi there,

      Thanks for the reports and suggestions!

      > Hi,
      >
      > In a "part 2" to my other recent post about difficulties with the
      > Purchase Mode Configuration, I think several others modifications
      > could be handy.
      >
      > 1). One new feature--assuming that I am not just not understanding
      > the program and its ways of saving campaigns and datasets--would be
      > the ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
      > experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
      > point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other
      > point buys.

      This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.

      > 2). Another new feature would to have not just the cumulative point
      > buy cost in the "Purchase Mode Configuration" window but also the
      > 'individual' or 'incremental' cost for each score. I can't quite
      > remember how, for example, the DMG phrases it, but a score of "15"
      > can be said to cost 8 points (i.e. to get from 8 to 15) and also 2
      > points
      > (i.e. to get up to 15 from 14). Phrasing it this way, scores 9 to 14
      > cost 1 point each, 15 and 16 cost 2 points each, and 17 and 18 cost
      > 3 points each. (This is also the way I usually describe to new
      > players how point buy scales function, or describe a difference or
      > change in the scale to people already familiar with the standard
      > buy.) An expanded Purchase Mode Configuration table might look like
      > this:
      >
      > Ability Score Total Cost Incremental Cost
      > 8 0 0
      > 9 1 1
      > 10 2 1
      > 11 3 1
      > 12 4 1
      > 13 5 1
      > 14 6 1
      > 15 8 2
      > 16 10 2
      > 17 13 3
      > 18 16 3

      Feature request, trackered for 5.16

      > 3). It would be nice if the information on the Summary tab about
      > "Stat Total" and "Modifier Total", available when some "Character
      > Stats" option are used, was still available when the Purchase Mode
      > option is used. (Of course, one can always add the set of character
      > stats and the modifiers by hand, but this would be just a small,
      > nice feature for making comparisons and judging overall power.)

      Feature request, trackered for 5.16

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2008
        Hi Kar,

        On 7/05/2008 2:26 AM Martijn Verburg wrote
        > Hi there,
        >
        > Thanks for the reports and suggestions!
        >

        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> In a "part 2" to my other recent post about difficulties with the
        >> Purchase Mode Configuration, I think several others modifications
        >> could be handy.
        >>
        >> 1). One new feature--assuming that I am not just not understanding
        >> the program and its ways of saving campaigns and datasets--would be
        >> the ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
        >> experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
        >> point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other
        >> point buys.
        >>

        > This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.

        Sorry this one isn't a bug. The point buy was only ever designed to
        handle one scale and a variety of point values. Unless I have missed
        something this will require new UI support and updates to the way the
        data is stored.

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB
      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2008
          > >> the ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
          > >> experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
          > >> point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other
          > >> point buys.
          > >>

          > > This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.
          > >

          > Sorry this one isn't a bug. The point buy was only ever designed to
          > handle one scale and a variety of point values. Unless I have missed
          > something this will require new UI support and updates to the way the
          > data is stored.

          Hi James,

          Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
          screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
          button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing you to
          choose between the different point buys (I assumed in order to edit
          them). However, selecting a different point buy doesn't bring up it's
          'table'. I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
          to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2008
            Hi Kar,

            On 7/05/2008 9:12 PM Martijn Verburg wrote

            >>> This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.
            >>>

            >> Sorry this one isn't a bug. The point buy was only ever designed to
            >> handle one scale and a variety of point values. Unless I have missed
            >> something this will require new UI support and updates to the way the
            >> data is stored.
            >>

            > Hi James,
            >
            > Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
            > screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
            > button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing you to
            > choose between the different point buys (I assumed in order to edit
            > them). However, selecting a different point buy doesn't bring up it's
            > 'table'.
            That's because it is only coded to handle one scale and multiple values.
            That's the way it has always been. The DMG presents one scale and a
            number of different point values as options. We do a similar thing here.

            > I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
            > to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?

            We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in (including
            the new button). Would that assist?

            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code SB
          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 8 , May 7, 2008
              > > Hi James,
              > >
              > > Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
              > > screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
              > > button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing
              > > you to choose between the different point buys (I assumed in
              > > order to edit them). However, selecting a different point buy
              > > doesn't bring up it's 'table'.
              >
              > That's because it is only coded to handle one scale and multiple
              > values. That's the way it has always been. The DMG presents one
              > scale and a number of different point values as options. We do a
              > similar thing here.

              Ah, I see now, OK I'll move it to a FREQ.

              > > I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
              > > to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?
              > >
              > We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in
              > (including the new button). Would that assist?

              I think it would help yes (at least one user + me got a little
              confused ;p). Shall I raise as a low priority 5.14 bug?

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2008
                Hi Kar,

                On 7/05/2008 10:25 PM Martijn Verburg wrote
                >>> Hi James,
                >>>
                >>> Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
                >>> screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
                >>> button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing
                >>> you to choose between the different point buys (I assumed in
                >>> order to edit them). However, selecting a different point buy
                >>> doesn't bring up it's 'table'.
                >>>
                >> That's because it is only coded to handle one scale and multiple
                >> values. That's the way it has always been. The DMG presents one
                >> scale and a number of different point values as options. We do a
                >> similar thing here.
                >>

                > Ah, I see now, OK I'll move it to a FREQ.

                Thanks for that.

                >>> I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
                >>> to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?
                >>>

                >> We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in
                >> (including the new button). Would that assist?
                >>

                > I think it would help yes (at least one user + me got a little
                > confused ;p). Shall I raise as a low priority 5.14 bug?

                Yeah that sounds good. It's a very easy change so shouldn't be an issue.

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB
              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2008
                  > >> We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in
                  > >> (including the new button). Would that assist?
                  > >>

                  > > I think it would help yes (at least one user + me got a little
                  > > confused ;p). Shall I raise as a low priority 5.14 bug?
                  > >

                  > Yeah that sounds good. It's a very easy change so shouldn't be an
                  > issue.

                  Trackered - K