[FREQ] 5.14.0 RC1. .. better way to enter "Purchase Mode", pt 2

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2008

      In a "part 2" to my other recent post about difficulties with the
      Purchase Mode Configuration, I think several others modifications
      could be handy.

      1). One new feature--assuming that I am not just not understanding the
      program and its ways of saving campaigns and datasets--would be the
      ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
      experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
      point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other point
      buys.

      2). Another new feature would to have not just the cumulative point
      buy cost in the "Purchase Mode Configuration" window but also the
      'individual' or 'incremental' cost for each score. I can't quite
      remember how, for example, the DMG phrases it, but a score of "15" can
      be said to cost 8 points (i.e. to get from 8 to 15) and also 2 points
      (i.e. to get up to 15 from 14). Phrasing it this way, scores 9 to 14
      cost 1 point each, 15 and 16 cost 2 points each, and 17 and 18 cost 3
      points each. (This is also the way I usually describe to new players
      how point buy scales function, or describe a difference or change in
      the scale to people already familiar with the standard buy.) An
      expanded Purchase Mode Configuration table might look like this:

      Ability Score Total Cost Incremental Cost
      8 0 0
      9 1 1
      10 2 1
      11 3 1
      12 4 1
      13 5 1
      14 6 1
      15 8 2
      16 10 2
      17 13 3
      18 16 3

      3). It would be nice if the information on the Summary tab about "Stat
      Total" and "Modifier Total", available when some "Character Stats"
      option are used, was still available when the Purchase Mode option is
      used. (Of course, one can always add the set of character stats and
      the modifiers by hand, but this would be just a small, nice feature
      for making comparisons and judging overall power.)

      ~~ Matt
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2008
        Hi there,

        Thanks for the reports and suggestions!

        > Hi,
        >
        > In a "part 2" to my other recent post about difficulties with the
        > Purchase Mode Configuration, I think several others modifications
        > could be handy.
        >
        > 1). One new feature--assuming that I am not just not understanding
        > the program and its ways of saving campaigns and datasets--would be
        > the ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
        > experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
        > point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other
        > point buys.

        This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.

        > 2). Another new feature would to have not just the cumulative point
        > buy cost in the "Purchase Mode Configuration" window but also the
        > 'individual' or 'incremental' cost for each score. I can't quite
        > remember how, for example, the DMG phrases it, but a score of "15"
        > can be said to cost 8 points (i.e. to get from 8 to 15) and also 2
        > points
        > (i.e. to get up to 15 from 14). Phrasing it this way, scores 9 to 14
        > cost 1 point each, 15 and 16 cost 2 points each, and 17 and 18 cost
        > 3 points each. (This is also the way I usually describe to new
        > players how point buy scales function, or describe a difference or
        > change in the scale to people already familiar with the standard
        > buy.) An expanded Purchase Mode Configuration table might look like
        > this:
        >
        > Ability Score Total Cost Incremental Cost
        > 8 0 0
        > 9 1 1
        > 10 2 1
        > 11 3 1
        > 12 4 1
        > 13 5 1
        > 14 6 1
        > 15 8 2
        > 16 10 2
        > 17 13 3
        > 18 16 3

        Feature request, trackered for 5.16

        > 3). It would be nice if the information on the Summary tab about
        > "Stat Total" and "Modifier Total", available when some "Character
        > Stats" option are used, was still available when the Purchase Mode
        > option is used. (Of course, one can always add the set of character
        > stats and the modifiers by hand, but this would be just a small,
        > nice feature for making comparisons and judging overall power.)

        Feature request, trackered for 5.16

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2008
          Hi Kar,

          On 7/05/2008 2:26 AM Martijn Verburg wrote
          > Hi there,
          >
          > Thanks for the reports and suggestions!
          >

          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> In a "part 2" to my other recent post about difficulties with the
          >> Purchase Mode Configuration, I think several others modifications
          >> could be handy.
          >>
          >> 1). One new feature--assuming that I am not just not understanding
          >> the program and its ways of saving campaigns and datasets--would be
          >> the ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
          >> experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
          >> point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other
          >> point buys.
          >>

          > This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.

          Sorry this one isn't a bug. The point buy was only ever designed to
          handle one scale and a variety of point values. Unless I have missed
          something this will require new UI support and updates to the way the
          data is stored.

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2008
            > >> the ability to save several different point buy scales. I was
            > >> experimenting with a different point buy scale (not just a different
            > >> point buy total) and it seems to have messed up all of my other
            > >> point buys.
            > >>

            > > This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.
            > >

            > Sorry this one isn't a bug. The point buy was only ever designed to
            > handle one scale and a variety of point values. Unless I have missed
            > something this will require new UI support and updates to the way the
            > data is stored.

            Hi James,

            Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
            screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
            button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing you to
            choose between the different point buys (I assumed in order to edit
            them). However, selecting a different point buy doesn't bring up it's
            'table'. I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
            to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?

          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 8 , May 7, 2008
              Hi Kar,

              On 7/05/2008 9:12 PM Martijn Verburg wrote

              >>> This is actually a bug, now trackered for a 5.14 fix.
              >>>

              >> Sorry this one isn't a bug. The point buy was only ever designed to
              >> handle one scale and a variety of point values. Unless I have missed
              >> something this will require new UI support and updates to the way the
              >> data is stored.
              >>

              > Hi James,
              >
              > Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
              > screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
              > button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing you to
              > choose between the different point buys (I assumed in order to edit
              > them). However, selecting a different point buy doesn't bring up it's
              > 'table'.
              That's because it is only coded to handle one scale and multiple values.
              That's the way it has always been. The DMG presents one scale and a
              number of different point values as options. We do a similar thing here.

              > I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
              > to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?

              We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in (including
              the new button). Would that assist?

              James Dempsey
              PCGen Code SB
            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2008
                > > Hi James,
                > >
                > > Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
                > > screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
                > > button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing
                > > you to choose between the different point buys (I assumed in
                > > order to edit them). However, selecting a different point buy
                > > doesn't bring up it's 'table'.
                >
                > That's because it is only coded to handle one scale and multiple
                > values. That's the way it has always been. The DMG presents one
                > scale and a number of different point values as options. We do a
                > similar thing here.

                Ah, I see now, OK I'll move it to a FREQ.

                > > I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
                > > to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?
                > >
                > We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in
                > (including the new button). Would that assist?

                I think it would help yes (at least one user + me got a little
                confused ;p). Shall I raise as a low priority 5.14 bug?

              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2008
                  Hi Kar,

                  On 7/05/2008 10:25 PM Martijn Verburg wrote
                  >>> Hi James,
                  >>>
                  >>> Hmm, I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but the point buy
                  >>> screen does allow you to add new scales/values (by using the New
                  >>> button), there is also a drop down on that same screen allowing
                  >>> you to choose between the different point buys (I assumed in
                  >>> order to edit them). However, selecting a different point buy
                  >>> doesn't bring up it's 'table'.
                  >>>
                  >> That's because it is only coded to handle one scale and multiple
                  >> values. That's the way it has always been. The DMG presents one
                  >> scale and a number of different point values as options. We do a
                  >> similar thing here.
                  >>

                  > Ah, I see now, OK I'll move it to a FREQ.

                  Thanks for that.

                  >>> I think it is a genuine bug? Either that or perhaps we need
                  >>> to remove the illusion that you can have multiple point buys?
                  >>>

                  >> We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in
                  >> (including the new button). Would that assist?
                  >>

                  > I think it would help yes (at least one user + me got a little
                  > confused ;p). Shall I raise as a low priority 5.14 bug?

                  Yeah that sounds good. It's a very easy change so shouldn't be an issue.

                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code SB
                • Martijn Verburg
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7, 2008
                    > >> We could add a title to the box that the value stuff is in
                    > >> (including the new button). Would that assist?
                    > >>

                    > > I think it would help yes (at least one user + me got a little
                    > > confused ;p). Shall I raise as a low priority 5.14 bug?
                    > >

                    > Yeah that sounds good. It's a very easy change so shouldn't be an
                    > issue.

                    Trackered - K