[BUG][5.13.13] PRESPELLSCHOOL/PRESPELLSCHOOLSUB & SPELLS

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 6:42 AM
      I am coding up ToB:Bo9S for myself, and I've coded up the maneuvers/stances
      by defining them as spells with SCHOOL:x (x being the discipline) and
      SUBSCHOOL:y (y being the type - boost, strike, etc.). The classes in this
      source get access to these as if they were spellcasters and all is well so
      far.

      The Martial Study feat allows non-martial classes (or martial classes that
      wish to expend a feat in exchange for another maneuver) access to some of
      these powers. I've done this via a master feat with a CHOOSE:FEATADD and a
      set of sub feats containing SPELLS tags. This works fine, the powers show
      up on the sheet, so I know they've got them.

      Now the issue: The Martial Stance feat allows non-martial classes (or
      martial classes that wish to expend a feat in exchange for another stance)
      access to some of the stances. The prereqs for this are having maneuvers
      from the school in which you wish to select a stance from. I coded them up
      with PRESPELLSCHOOL:1,x=0 and PRESPELLSCHOOLSUB:1,y=0. This works fine for
      the classes from the source that get the powers as if they were
      spellcasters. However, the classes that use the Martial Study feat to get
      the maneuvers do not pass either of those two prexxx tags...

      trying to pass PRESPELLSCHOOL or PRESPELLSCHOOLSUB (possibly other
      PRESPELLxxx tags too, I haven't tested those).

      Barak
    • ovka
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 8:07 AM
        Barak,

        This is why my entire implementation for ToB:B09S uses feats and the
        SPELLS tag. I couldn't make it work the other way, but my player
        with the Forest Gnome Sorcerer/Crusader/Jade Phoenix Mage and his
        cohort, a Monk/Swordsage/Shadow Sun Ninja, is very happy with it this
        way.

        Cheers,

        Sir George Anonymous

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:
        >I am coding up ToB:Bo9S for myself, and I've coded up the
        >maneuvers/stances
        >by defining them as spells with SCHOOL:x (x being the discipline) and
        >SUBSCHOOL:y (y being the type - boost, strike, etc.). The classes
        >in this
        >source get access to these as if they were spellcasters and all is
        >well so
        >far.
        >
        >The Martial Study feat allows non-martial classes (or martial
        >classes that
        >wish to expend a feat in exchange for another maneuver) access to
        >some of
        >these powers. I've done this via a master feat with a
        >CHOOSE:FEATADD and a
        >set of sub feats containing SPELLS tags. This works fine, the
        >powers show
        >up on the sheet, so I know they've got them.
        >
        >Now the issue: The Martial Stance feat allows non-martial classes
        >(or
        >martial classes that wish to expend a feat in exchange for another
        >stance)
        >access to some of the stances. The prereqs for this are having
        >maneuvers
        >from the school in which you wish to select a stance from. I coded
        >them up
        >with PRESPELLSCHOOL:1,x=0 and PRESPELLSCHOOLSUB:1,y=0. This works
        >fine for
        >the classes from the source that get the powers as if they were
        >spellcasters. However, the classes that use the Martial Study feat
        >to get
        >the maneuvers do not pass either of those two prexxx tags...

          Heh, I'm stubborn. I made it work anyway (just required the liberal
          application of PREMULT). :p

          But, even though it works, I'm pretty sure that the PRESPELLSCHOOL and
          PRESPELLSCHOOLSUB should be passed by spells granted via the SPELLS tag, so
          I'm flagging it as a bug to be fixed.

          Barak
        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 8:55 AM
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

            > Barak,
            >
            > This is why my entire implementation for ToB:B09S uses feats and the
            > SPELLS tag. I couldn't make it work the other way, but my player
            > with the Forest Gnome Sorcerer/Crusader/Jade Phoenix Mage and his
            > cohort, a Monk/Swordsage/Shadow Sun Ninja, is very happy with it this
            > way.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Sir George Anonymous

            I don't recall seeing a bug report about this before... have you
            mentioned it before now? That would really help us to get reports
            when you have problems.

            TP.
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4 9:59 PM
              Barak, Why feats? Why not using the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff? Much more
              simpler - same concept only no need for a "master" feat. Then you can
              have a feat grant a point into the proper ability pool for the
              non-martial guys. Otherwise sounds like it's coded up nicely.

              ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

              Tom Parker wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Barak,
              >>
              >> This is why my entire implementation for ToB:B09S uses feats and the
              >> SPELLS tag. I couldn't make it work the other way, but my player
              >> with the Forest Gnome Sorcerer/Crusader/Jade Phoenix Mage and his
              >> cohort, a Monk/Swordsage/Shadow Sun Ninja, is very happy with it this
              >> way.
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >>
              >> Sir George Anonymous
              >>

              > I don't recall seeing a bug report about this before... have you
              > mentioned it before now? That would really help us to get reports
              > when you have problems.
              >
              > TP.

            • ovka
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5 7:18 AM
                >Why feats? Why not using the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff? Much more
                >simpler - same concept only no need for a "master" feat. Then you
                >can
                >have a feat grant a point into the proper ability pool for the
                >non-martial guys. Otherwise sounds like it's coded up nicely.

                I use feats because I first coded it up under 5.8.1. Due to a CMP OS
                issue that I am working on, I haven't moved my PC's from 5.10.2 to
                newer versions yet. :( Also, I haven't had time to sit down and
                figure out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff yet.

                Cheers,

                Sir George Anonymous
                Message 7 of 8 , May 5 11:12 AM
                  Oh okay... Switching it over isn't hard to do. If you use the latest
                  version you'll make a abilitycat.lst file where you can make
                  ABILITYCATEGORY to your hearts content. You'll need to reference the new
                  file in the pcc call, and you'll want to make a new ability.lst file,
                  place your custom feats in there (and a pcc call as ABILITY) and then
                  add the tag CATEGORY:<WhatYouNamedYourAbilityCategory> to all your "feats".

                  It's really that simple. I have some samples if you want to go for it.

                  ovka wrote:
                  >> Why feats? Why not using the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff? Much more
                  >> simpler - same concept only no need for a "master" feat. Then you
                  >> can
                  >> have a feat grant a point into the proper ability pool for the
                  >> non-martial guys. Otherwise sounds like it's coded up nicely.
                  >>

                  > I use feats because I first coded it up under 5.8.1. Due to a CMP OS
                  > issue that I am working on, I haven't moved my PC's from 5.10.2 to
                  > newer versions yet. :( Also, I haven't had time to sit down and
                  > figure out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff yet.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Sir George Anonymous

                • ovka
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5 12:14 PM
                    >Oh okay... Switching it over isn't hard to do. If you use the latest
                    >version you'll make a abilitycat.lst file where you can make
                    >ABILITYCATEGORY to your hearts content. You'll need to reference the
                    >new
                    >file in the pcc call, and you'll want to make a new ability.lst file,
                    >place your custom feats in there (and a pcc call as ABILITY) and then
                    >add the tag CATEGORY:<WhatYouNamedYourAbilityCategory> to all
                    >your "feats".
                    >
                    > It's really that simple. I have some samples if you want to go for it.

                    When I get my OS issue fixed, I plan to upgrade to the latest and
                    greatest version. Until then, I'm kind of stuck. I found a work-
                    around yesterday, but it's a PITA. After I get it fixed, I may take
                    you up on that. I think I also saw a how to on either LstFileHelp or
                    Experimental.

                    Cheers,

                    Sir George Anonymous