Help! I broke PCGen

  • motorfudge
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19 10:35 AM
      OS: Vista Home Basic (yeah, yeah, I know, but it's a cheap laptop
      and I don't have a legit OS license for something better)

      PCGen - most recent stable release

      What caused the problem

      Was playing D&D 2 weeks ago, I did something in GMGen and it removed
      all the functions. When I opened GMGen I just got a small pop-up box
      with 'File Edit Help' menus up top. I don't know what I did, was in
      middle of game, sorry.

      What I did that screwed everything else up.

      After the game I tried to fix things, at first I tried going thru
      preferences and see if any of those would help, they didn't.

      Next I re-downloaded PCGen and installed on top of old installation,
      didn't help.

      Next I did full uninstall of PCGen using Revo Uninstaller (remove all
      registry settings, etc). Re-installed PCGen. GMGen still doesn't
      work.

      Opened up preferences to Plugins and started changing settings for
      GMGen, one at a time. Somewhere in there it fscked everything up and
      now PCGen no longer starts up.

      Tried full uninstall / re-install and it still doesn't work. Really
      odd because any left over files / registry entries are removed.

      Updated to most recent version of Java, still doesn't work.

      Tried running both pcgen.bat and pcgen_low_memory.bat from command
      prompt to watch output. Turned on java console & debugging.

      I don't have the exact text (waiting for wife to finish using laptop
      and then I'll post the exact text) but what it looks like is causing
      it was text just before program ended.

      C$> pcgen.bat
      *** Comment messages scroll by
      java -command arguments to launch PGCen.jar
      Bunch of output scrolling by

      Unable to load C\Program Files%20\PCGen\PCGen5121\data\.....

      I'm assuming the problem is in that program files, I don't know if
      that's a miss-formed character or what. The folder is just "Program
      Files" I haven't changed the name or anything.

      When the wife is done with laptop I'll try booting up the Linux
      partition and see if I can get PCGen working there. I'll also post
      full output from when the script crashes.

      Anything I can do to get it working tonight before our game would be
      appreciated. I'm planning on printing out characters from my desktop
      so I'll have a hardcopy to use and see if I can get PCGen working
      under Kbuntu but I have some heat-related problems under Linux (bug
      report filed to kernel group).

      Thanks in advance!
    • motorfudge
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19 10:59 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "motorfudge" <motorfudge@...> wrote:

        Snip:

        Got the laptop, here's the output

        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/rsrd.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/advanced/rsrd_advanced.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_basics.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/campaign/rsrd_campaign_corebook1.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/campaign/rsrd_campaign_corebook3.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/campaign/rsrd_campaign_corebook2.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/campaign/rsrd_campaign_no_psionics.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/divine/rsrd_divine.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/epic/rsrd_epic.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/epic_psionics/rsrd_epic_psionics.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/monsters/rsrd_monsters.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/srd35/psionics/rsrd_psionics.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/pcgen/fantasy/pcgen_ogc_fantasy.pcc
        Could not find campaign by filename:
        file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5121/PC
        Gen5121/data/d20ogl/pcgen/psicrystal_hitdice/pcgen_ogc_psicrystal_hitdice.pcc
        Bad main entry point in pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI
        at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
        Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Identifier not found
        at
        javax.swing.table.DefaultTableColumnModel.getColumnIndex(Unknown Sour
        ce)
        at javax.swing.JTable.getColumn(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.initiative.gui.Initiative.initTable(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.initiative.gui.Initiative.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.initiative.InitiativePlugin.start(Unknown Source)
        at gmgen.pluginmgr.Plugin$JAR.addPlugin(Unknown Source)
        at gmgen.pluginmgr.JARClassLoader.startAllPlugins(Unknown Source)
        at gmgen.pluginmgr.PluginLoader.startSystemPlugins(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(Unknown Source)
        ... 5 more

        C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5121>
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19 11:40 AM
          Okay - Does the program actually load up to the choose setting/sets screen?
          Can you load any campaign files? (RSRD Complete)
          Does the command /console window show any errors?
          (If any errors please post them here)
          Can you create or open a character?

          What Java Version are you using? (Latest could be 1.6.xxx)
          Does the file path still exist to the campaign?

          --- If nothing is working, you can:
          Try downloading the latest BETA release 5.13.14, install that and see if
          it works...

          You could try resetting the file settings:
          Your settings could have been saved in your profiles folder... On Vista
          it would be:
          c:\users\<yourprofilename>\.pcgen
          You can try moving/deleting the files (forcing the program to reset
          them) though you may want to actually just move the files out.

          ---

          In actuality I'm thinking you should be able to load the campaigns... or
          is it giving this error each time you start the program?

          Using the latest BETA (Which is very stable IMO) should correct your
          problem. While leaving your 5.12.1 install alone till one of our coders
          can delve deeper into what might be causing the problem and if we've
          already addressed and fixed the problem.

          Please, do follow up and let us know what you find out.

          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19 12:16 PM
            I recoomend:

            a) Making sure you have Sun's Java, not anything pre-installed with Vista
            b) running the uninstaller.
            c) going to the files section and deleting the directory completely
            d) Finding your user settings files, for PCgen, deleting those.
            e) d/l and install PCGen again.

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • motorfudge
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 19 12:43 PM

              > You could try resetting the file settings:
              > Your settings could have been saved in your profiles folder... On Vista
              > it would be:
              > c:\users\<yourprofilename>\.pcgen
              > You can try moving/deleting the files (forcing the program to reset
              > them) though you may want to actually just move the files out.

              Bingo! Whatever got hosed was in the .pcgen files. I renamed the old
              ones so I can look thru them to see what I hosed up but everythings
              working including GMGen. As a note might want to update the uninstall
              program to ask if you'd like to remove those settings files, even
              cleaning it with Revo missed those files.

              Thanks so much for the clue on what to look for as well as the prompt
              response all!

              Happy gaming