Re: [pcgen] Re: [BUG]? with how Item Customizer adds/removes properties like 'steel'/'wood'

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17 11:24 AM
      taluroniscandar wrote:
      >>> This is somewhat trivial, but the way properties are added and
      >>>
      > removed
      >
      >>> from custom objects with the "Item Customizer" is all somewhat
      >>> asymmetric and round-about in its function.
      >>>
      >>> When you add a property like 'Alchemical Silver', for example, to a
      >>> custom Arrow with 'Steel' and 'Wood', Alchemical Silver replaces
      >>> Steel, as expected, but also Wood. (When removing Alchemical Silver,
      >>> You can get Steel back or Wood back, but not both.)
      >>>

      > This happens because all of these eqmods are set to BaseMaterial and
      > the item customizer is programmed to replace BaseMaterials that are
      > there with any BaseMaterial selected. The old way, using REPLACES, was
      > much worse.
      >
      > This is not a trivial item to fix, as you you have to make
      > distinctions in all BaseMaterials as to what they directly replace.
      > Every time you added a new source with BaseMaterial's the REPLACES:
      > tags would have to be .MOD'd. This was taken out because of the upkeep
      > nightmare it was becoming.
      >
      > I'm actually surprised that the Wood eqmod is on Arrows. Likely the
      > person who placed it there was unaware of the BaseMaterial interaction.

      I've thought about this a bit and I now think this should be left as it is.

      No item should be able to have more than one special material applied to
      it. In the case of arrows they are made of both wood and metal and there
      are materials which replace both that specifically say they can be
      applied to arrows (Darkwood and Cold Iron) because some parts are
      composed of each. Having both WOOD and STEEL on a base item is OK
      because the sole purpose of these EQMODs is to qualify what special
      materials can replace them, but they should not allow an item to be
      composed of more than one special material.

      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)