Re: [pcgen] Re: Bugs and enhancement requests

  • Martin Brabander
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
      John Pyrich wrote:

      > >> 10. Half ranks for cross-class skills can not be purchased.
      >
      > > Is this permissable? I guess it isn't clear, but I only keep
      > > track of ranks. I could make that a float instead of an int, but
      > > I didn't think it was allowed in the rules.
      >
      > Yes it is permissible. You can buy the half rank, but it does not
      > affect any rolls until you get a full rank.

      This is important in character planning. Since the rules say you can't
      store skill points, people can put half a rank in a cross-skill they
      desire now, (with no improvement to the skill) and the next point when
      they go up a level.

      Martin
    • Robert Hilson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
        i had reccomended a equip screen before, if you did that you could do layouts,
        ie a scren with sword shiels, ring of regen and ring of spell turning, then
        template 2 has just longsword, ring of mind shield, and ring of nondetection
        (examples and dont even know if they exsist) this would take a approiate
        display in the csheet, and may even be optional, its just that with a active
        tool (like our great pcgen) its hard to pencil in the -1 to ac cause the
        fighter dropped his shield, or changed from sword to mace since skeletens take
        more damage that way (2ed sorry just a apparent example) really chack the
        wizards program, the phb had one. on the equip screen with weaponc you could
        equip multiple.

        =====
        Robert Hilson
        http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • John Pyrich
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
          --- In pcgen@egroups.com, mocha@m... wrote:

          > I'm looking in the equipment.lst file, and a Club as WT:3, which
          > is what you say it should be. Are you looking in an older version?

          Never mind. This was the first thing that I found and it was before
          I noticed that the 'P' column header was not appearing in the View
          Items window. It looked like there was no weight because the column
          headers were shifted. I should have double checked that one. Sorry.

          > Hm, I'll give it more thought, but I think you've convinced me.
          > I don't think this would actually be that hard to do - basically
          > stripping out the class string from the skill.lst and spell.lst
          > files. I would still need some way in the class_spell.lst file to
          > indicate what level each spell is for each class. Maybe you just
          > have level lists for each class (0-9) and all spells in the list
          > are assumed to be of the same level.

          Would it be problematic to allow for multiple records for the same
          spell level? That way the user is not limited to putting all of the
          spells for a level in one record. Just a thought.

          > It would add two more lst
          > files and make the whole shebang somewhat larger in size, but for
          > swapping stuff with others it keeps you from having to get a copy
          > of the class.lst, skill.lst and spell.lst file when all you really
          > want is a class someone else has added.

          It works even better if you get classes from two seperate people. In
          addition, you can have genre specific .lst files for players to start
          with. If the whole d20 system works there will likely be many genres
          popping up a-la GURPS.

          > I'll add this to my list,
          > though currently I think fixing Bugs and getting the Campaign
          > stuff to work are my highest present priorities.

          Makes sense to me. Bugs are my only priority.

          > Thanks for your insights John! I'm glad you like PCGen and I hope
          > you keep giving me good ideas!

          No prob. I have a knack for breaking things. :-)

          > Just try to keep them to less than 30 at a time... ;)

          Ok.

          (Note to self... if there are more than 30 issues, send two emails.)

          ;-)

          John
        • John Pyrich
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
            --- In pcgen@egroups.com, mocha@m... wrote:

            > --- In pcgen@egroups.com, Robert Hilson <okuth0r@y...> wrote:
            >> ok i felt i had to assist in the explanation. if you look at the
            >> wizards program (i wont even name it) you can select multiple
            >> things to fight as. for example one set of "stats/info" for
            >> fighting bare handed, one for with a staff, and one for with a
            >> crossbow. this would represent other possipable combat
            >> situations easily.

            Thanks Robert. That's exactly where I was going.

            > Ok - I see what you're getting at. I think what I need to do is
            > to provide a way to select what's in each hand (shield, weapon
            > or nothing). But where? [snip]

            > Maybe another tab - like Combat (I'd move the existing Combat tab
            > to the Main tab where I'll also have the Campaign selections) where
            > you could select what's in each hand and PCGen could then give you
            > your applicable bonus to hit/damage due to the selections. It would
            > display the info in the same layout that I have in my character
            > sheet, so you could see range, crit multiplier, damage, etc.
            > How does that sound?

            It might clutter up the Combat tab a lot, but if it works that would
            be great. However, it still leaves the PC Sheet unresolved. I think
            that Robert's Equip tab option (explained in a later email) would be
            better. If that tab is created, I'd like there to be no fixed limit
            on the number of Equip Sets.

            John