Re: [Semi-OT] Remote player table top setup

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
      I should clarify what we are intending. :)

      4 Players at table (+DM)

      One guy at his base using a webcam and mic to play via speakers.
      Basically I'm the only one with a laptop at the table, mainly for
      HypertextSRD. :)

      http://www.fantasygrounds.com.

    • keith.davies@kjdavies.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
        On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04:44PM -0000, joefrazierjr wrote:
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of
        > > April (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking
        > > about getting a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that
        > > works for them and could I get a parts list of what they used?
        >
        > I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
        > that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
        > reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
        > virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
        > of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
        > gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
        > EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
        >
        > I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
        > able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
        > gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.

        I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
        mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
        Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
        that's what we were used to.

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies I married the moonshiner's daughter
        keith.davies@... How could I go wrong?
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
          keith.davies@... wrote:
          > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04:44PM -0000, joefrazierjr wrote:
          >
          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of
          >>> April (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking
          >>> about getting a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that
          >>> works for them and could I get a parts list of what they used?
          >>>
          >> I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
          >> that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
          >> reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
          >> virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
          >> of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
          >> gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
          >> EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
          >>
          >> I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
          >> able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
          >> gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
          >>

          > I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
          > mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
          > Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
          > that's what we were used to.

          Maptool also has a chat window built into it which has the ability to
          make dice rolls among other things.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • keith.davies@kjdavies.org
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
            On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 03:13:06PM -0400, Eddy Anthony wrote:
            > keith.davies@... wrote:

            > >> I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
            > >> that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
            > >> reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
            > >> virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
            > >> of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
            > >> gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
            > >> EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
            > >>
            > >> I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
            > >> able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
            > >> gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
            > >
            > > I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
            > > mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
            > > Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
            > > that's what we were used to.
            >
            > Maptool also has a chat window built into it which has the ability to
            > make dice rolls among other things.

            It does, but my group didn't care for it.

            Maptool also has programmable buttons you can attach to dice rolls and
            (IIRC) strings.

            Keith
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
              On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:24:10AM -0000, Paul wrote:
              > I should clarify what we are intending. :)
              >
              > 4 Players at table (+DM)
              >
              > One guy at his base using a webcam and mic to play via speakers.
              > Basically I'm the only one with a laptop at the table, mainly for
              > HypertextSRD. :)

              Ah yes, Full Frontal Nerdity:
              http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php

              Keith
              --
              Keith Davies I married the moonshiner's daughter
              keith.davies@... How could I go wrong?
              keith.davies@... The moonshiner's daughter
              http://www.kjdavies.org/ Put some corn in the water
              And makes me liquor all night long
              -- Hayseed Dixie, _Moonshiner's Daughter_
            • Harry C. Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                Well we did have a similar situation at one time where all but two
                guys could make it for a face to face game weekend. In that case, we
                mounted a webcam on one of my ludwig cymbal stands above the game mat
                and an omnidirectional microphone and ran them through yahoo
                messenger. That worked okay, but the two dimensional view made it hard
                for the remote guys to make out the different minis. We ended up
                sticking different colored foil hershey kiss wrappers on the heads of
                the minis. Effective and delicious. We also wrote little numbers in
                the corners of the squares for reference. "So I take a 5' step into
                square 15 to flank the hill giant."

                YMMV,
                -Harry